What does Overwatch have against mayhem and no limits?

If I had it my way, all the arcade modes would just be available all the time. I dont buy the queue time excuse. You will get players that start playing other modes but then you also have players like myself who want to play the game every day but end up only playing once or twice a week when my one favorite arcade mode is available.

8 Likes

I think the tech is there, so I don’t think that’s an issue. They can do it with past events in a separate tab. they can do it with all arcade modes.

2 Likes

Others have already responded.

The correct answer is that he is glad SOME of you are playing mayhem etc. but it’s not as popular as mystery heroes.

I think ideally what would come into play is adapting the matchmaker to work within the custom game option. I’m a player that almost always will log in for a mode like mayhem. If it was only available in custom games, it would run the risk of being unbalanced due to pure player skill or simply being full all the time. A well run or desired mode in custom games can have 1 creator and be full with spectators that may wait an extremely long time to get in. If a mode got super popular in custom games, rather than stick them in a queue dependent on players in the original game leaving, I think it would be cool for the queue to generate new instances of the same mode that also take into consideration the matchmaker. That means that only 1 player would have the START a game of mayhem in custom games, but an unlimited-space queue being available as an option means that everyone that wants to play a specific mode can simply queue for it. By simply being in custom games, these players acknowledge the risk of long queues, but still get the benefit of having their games draw from the entire pool of players interested in a single mode. That would 100% make the custom games a viable option for a mayhem addict like myself.

1 Like

It needs something like wow’s CTF flag debuff that increases damage taken and lowers movement speed per stack accumulated

So you made them ALL mystery whatever in the arcade, knowing that people like many DIFFERENT game modes? Ugh.

3 Likes

why? who does? We will complain to him

4 Likes

Can custom games get the 9 loot boxes? If so… Why not simply make one slot always have either no limits or total mayhem and one always having free for all

Speaking of, can you do the same to Mystery FFA? It’s death screens, respawns and load times are very wonky and a lot of people really dislike it replacing normal FFA for a week :slightly_smiling_face:

While I appreciate your response I am disappointed in your reply. I also want to thank you for pressing the “no limits” button today as it was a pleasant surprise. As far as mayhem goes I would venture to say that it has some great benefits: it can help someone get to know how and when they can use a new characters abilities and ults (since they can use them more often), it has its own team unique compositions and differences that help make the game more diverse, and lastly it’s just a lot of fun, which I can’t say the same for some of the other much more common dailies. I don’t think I’m alone when I say that I play significantly less when there’s no mayhem active. And seriously… do that many people play 1v1 or do you do it to save on server costs?

11 Likes

As someone that only plays total mayhem and CTF, this is very disappointing to read.

15 Likes

Actually I think the people who dislike MFFA are the minority. I get more varied players in my queue when it’s out and see the same 10 players when it’s just the regular version.

Have you or the other devs thought about returning Weekly Brawls featuring newer modes like Low Gravity, 6v6 Doomfist, Total Mayhem, etc. to make place for new modes like Mirror FFA, Gauntlet?

I personally dont enjoy Total Mayhem that much but i would like it to stay like a brawl rotation for those who liked Weekly Brawls and All Brawls like myself.

3 Likes

Mayhem is cheesy and unbalanced, it’s just about abusing the most broken cooldowns in the game.
I feel like you need to be as high as a kite to enjoy that mode.

No-Limits should replace Mystery Heroes, IMO.

5 Likes

It can be hard to find a full game in browser though. Total Mayhem is the second best game mode … right behind CHAAAARRRRGGGGGEEE!!!

10 Likes

Is there any particular reason why you guys haven’t implemented a multi-queue?

It’s a pretty common feature in similar games and would allow more Arcade modes without harming queue times (and in many cases, might even improve them). Even disregarding how much it would improve the normal Arcade experience, I don’t see how Archives is going to function next year without a multi-queue given how overloaded the PvE section is already this year.

8 Likes

I love them they are also my favorites arcade modes for easy loot boxes in normal days it’s event now we got less rotation. Why don’t you try the legendary mode event with your friends?

1 Like

Definitely wouldn’t want to play No-Limits in a custom game mode. I’d rather earn experience while I play and having an automatic queue just works so much easier. Removal of fun arcade modes would lessen my time in this game.

5 Likes