What can I be improving upon? (Code)

I barely know how to work the replay thing on console, so it’s been somewhat hard for me to constantly watch matches and look at every angle etc, however I would still really like this experience as I hear VoDs can greatly help improve gameplay learning.

Here’s the code if anyone’s interested- it was on Numbani and I was playing Brig/Zen. We won, but I know there were a lot of things that could’ve been done differently and I’m interested to start seeing those flaws. And have some comments on my hero play.
I’ll also place a second code that was a loss, I believe I played quite poorly.

Win Code - 7TESC1.
Loss code - CHD1VC.

3 Likes

Hey dude, you play a lot of brig, wanna review the game for this guy?

I’ll have someone review the lost game for you and hopefully HolloH can give you some good brig advice :slight_smile:

Wanna help him out with the loss?

2 Likes

Thank you for this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome buddy :slight_smile:

Edit: I have someone else coming to help you actually.

1 Like

i can give this a good look within the next day or two !

3 Likes

Thank you Niccolo!!

You’re in good hands!!

Niccolo is a Masters support and Abdullah is a Grand Master Tank and support. Pretty sure he peaked Top 500 for both.

1 Like

That’s true! =]
Currently waiting for my packet loss issue to be fixed so I can aim even further! =]

i will review this one first. i don’t know the full extent of your hero pool, i am seeing brig/zen from what i’m reading so far.
edit: i see some lucio in here, i’m probably gonna say a lot of nitpicky stuff, and this is just the lucio main coming out of me.

r66
  • mercy sort of fits were into your comp. it’s more of a bunker/dive hybrid. you and/or the mercy would get a lot more value with a pick such as ana here, as there is more healing for tanks and there’s the nanoblade combo as well. normally, zen works well in a slower come or the bunker/dive of sig and ball, however it works better with ball because he has higher consistent mobility than d.va. so, here, you will want to keep your orb on your d.va and probably your genji as well, if he plays more aggressively. it is IMPORTANT you stay alive, because with your comp it can be difficult for the mercy to solo heal all of that if, say the cart is around gas station, that’s a long walk back from spawn. d.va is an extremely resource intensive tank.
  • your first death mainly happens because your team is playing in a line. as much as positioning is important, spacing is as well. you may have been a little far up if anything, so if you’d be positioning elsewhere, go by the mini health pack in boxcars. i normally will teach that there’s not really much situations where both supports should play right next to each other or in line with each other. if they die (because they’re close) it has a negative effect on the team.
  • your team pays no attention to bob and as a result the ashe gets three kills out of it after her death. after killing her, it would have been an okay idea to rotate in tunnel. you don’t want to give bob an angle. think of him as a lethal and even more annoying turret. he has large LOS and range. in this instance it is a bit safer as genji had blown his dash cooldown dashing into the team, pressing their advantage with bob up. while it gives an angle for you to get flanked, there is a mega, right there, and gives you a little more ult charge to build for your next trans, and an opportunity to punish the genji.
  • i don’t fully understand the lucio pick, mainly because i don’t really know anyone who can take advantage of your speed. lucio/mercy is not the best heal comp as well. again, i would have swapped to ana, bap could have worked nicely too. just to better sustain your team.
  • while the boop onto orisa into your team was good (3:10), you should have turned to kill mercy during her rez too. you definitely could have gotten a kill off of that and denied rez, putting her back on her 30s cooldown.
  • i don’t know if you were looking for a boop when the genji bladed, bur you didn’t really need to move up into them. if you’re gonna reposition, go to high ground on top of gas station. when the genji bladed, you could amp speed there (you did while you were on the rocks which was good), but this would be more effective more by your team as they can kite the blade better.
  • you could have prevented your death around 4:07 by pushing into the sigma to secure the kill. while it’s difficult with supercharger in play for the team to survive, they don’t really have an angle to engage against you.
  • would have been good to boop the orisa into your team around 4:38 to push her into your team.
  • speeding into the ashe (6:02) would potentially have secured the kill faster
  • SUPER NICE BEAT! effectively countered two ultimates there
  • if you boop the sigma away, mercy has a better chance of survival and opportunity to get off the rez (6:23)
    *questionable decision to feed into the orisa by herself… you weren’t really going to get anything out of that.
  • when you die, you amp not directly out of spawn, but a little bit after, but not in a position to help your team with it. i believe you’re able to see your teammate’s outlines through walls, the amp wasn’t really needed immediately. especially with genji blading after, your arm could have helped them kite the blade or to sustain them in the fight.
  • tire isn’t necessarily the greatest ult to use beat against. understand your distance from it. if anything, try to amp away from where it is. it’s basically a one-shot ult. losing your beat is a crucial blow which, while leading into last fight territory, puts your team at a disadvantage.
    *there’s nothing really of value to say about the moira play so i am going to skip over that part. i also don’t feel its fair to assess your gameplay with a leaver on your team because it doesn’t paint a full picture of your play.
round 1
  • your team is playing a very slow comp with double shield. you’ll have to keep yourself positioned well with that to survive. it offers a lot of opportunities to poke at the enemies,
  • you do a really cleaning up the point as the enemy team straddles in. nice job!
  • your team is doing really well overall. i’d like to highlight your ending position from your trans (3:45ish), if that hog has hook, you’re basically dead. you can feed with trans, that’s something that can happen. make sure you stay in a safer position or end in a safer position so you’re not as vulnerable and mindlessly feeding. the trans itself was okay, but just a bit forced.
  • you dying to the coal, in the long run is a product of your poor ending positioning from your trans.
  • you need to be really crisp with animation cancels and applying orbs to teammates and enemies. if you are charging multiple orbs, you can melee to cancel this. note that it does consume ammo.
  • when a target is slept, you can give yourself time to charge up multiple orbs to secure a kill when it’s a very healthy target. apply discord and aim for the head in this time as well.
round 2
  • when playing with a bap, more of your healing will be better suited for dps. you can still orb tanks, but bap will get a lot more value healing them because of the nature of his healing. especially when tanks are out of LOS, that’s why zen is so good with ball.
  • you didn’t really need to push up that far for your winston. that’s more of a feed on his end, and in result it forces you to feed as well. it takes two people out of your team early in the fight.
  • you are extremely lucky that you didn’t die against the soldier as they had just captured first. in higher elo youare going to get punished by that .
  • you are feeding a bunch as brig. even though she is built much tankier, she is not meant to be played as a frontline hero. she is very solid for peel and as a utility support. your rally was a bit questionable as well. it was a questionable usage in my eyes, and could have been held for a later time.
  • there wasn’t really much of a reason to use your bash to go into the enemies. you could have held that position at the corner and bashed reaper ult, potentially saving your bap.

i’ll give an overall rundown of what i feel needs the most improvement:

• zen: orb cycling. including applying orbs, animation canceling L2 with melee
  • lucio: amp positioning, boop usage. i’m not gonna dive too deep into wall riding with console bc it’s much harder to do.
  • brig: less aggressive positioning, making sure you don’t feed. you charged rally pretty quickly which i was impressed with but you should have died way more than you did, you got away with a lot more than you should have, part of it was because of immorality field.
  • overall: quicker decision making and resisting the urge to make extremely risky positional mistakes

best of luck to you as you keep climbing and improving :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow I never knew.

While this isn’t my only takeaway it’s huge and I need to know it.

1 Like

if you have one orb, you can also charge up a full five orb shot. it’s pretty useful. keep an eye on your ammo.

it’s a useful skill to have. zenyattas animation cancels are huge in understanding him as a character.

2 Likes

I’m unsure if I really have the patience for him now…it’s sad but true. I just can’t seem to animation cancel discord and harmony? You can shoot basically instantly after…

don’t feel that way dude. learning a hero takes time and effort. if you rush to what your end goal is, you’re not gonna fully learn and consciously understand it throughout the way. it’s a learning process. keyword is process. if it was a learning sprint then i’d word it that way

1 Like

Aren’t you glad I brought Niccolo in here? :innocent::innocent:

2 Likes

I’m very glad lol. Need tips. Improvement is just a lot of time and playing, I’ve been learning.

I’m certainly way better at Lucio than when I’m started, but I don’t wanna play a hard hero and be a detriment.