What are some of the weird aspects of the early lore?

Overwatch’s lore was developed over time, and while they have a solid grasp now, especially as they’re going to tell a story with it, back in the early days it wasn’t so much. What are some weird things about the early Overwatch lore that either was contradicted, or is like an artifact with no place?

One that comes to mind:

Reaper was initially presented as being a mercenary unaligned with any particular cause. He wasn’t officially part of Talon, and was only working with them because they pay.

However, around the time Doomfist was introduced, it was made clear that Reaper is a full-fledged member of Talon, and furthermore holds a seat in their inner leadership council, thus he has a high position of power in the organization as opposed to just being an associate.

Anything else to note?

Around Brigitte introduction they messed up times of events making Mercy being medical student at age of 17. I still think Briggy should be 21 tops not 23.

The bigest that comes to my mind is the blog article where Mercy says the tensions rose between Morisson and Reyes afet he was given the title of Strike Commender after Reyes. : and she couldn’t be there at the moment of the promotion, she was a kid - and we know that the tensions between Reyes and Morrison actually happened in the very last years of Overwatch - and they tried to rectify that with Mercy voiceline during Storm Rising - saying they “are arguing quite a bit lately”

Fading Glory: On the Trail of Jack Morrison - News - Overwatch

“After Morrison’s promotion to strike commander, his relationship with Reyes changed. The tension became more pronounced as time went on. I tried to mend things. We all did. Sometimes when the closest bonds break, all you can do is pray you stay out of the cross fire.”

Being teenager Angela saw Overwatch members in her life. She was there with them as the same as Fareeha. Being adult Angela joined Overwatch as agent.
Angela is 37 years old now.
27 years ago the first omnic crisis ended, Morrison became Overwatch commander and Reyes Blackwatch capitan. Angela was 10 years old at that time.
Brigitte is 23 years old now.
That means when the world saw Brigitte, Angela was 14 years old.
The Ana picture takes place after Reyes made McCree Blackwatch agent and Torbjörn lost his arm.
That means Angela in the picture is 14 years old or older but still teenager. McCree is as the same old as Angela.
Everything is fine, guys.

How is Mercy being a medical student at 17 a mess up? Plenty of people are in university at age 17 (myself included).

That photo is from 20 years ago - Mercy is 17. Michael Chu explains it here:

2 Likes

Ah my bad. Torbbin his letter said she is perfecting her nanoheal technology, so she might be out of medical school by 17.

In Torbjorn’s letter he said Angela was dreaming of limb regeneration technology, not perfecting it:

Even Angela came to visit me! On the matter of my arm, I promise to make it my first priority to construct a suitable prosthesis that will make everyone forget that it was ever gone. If only Angela’s dreams of tissue regeneration were a reality! I told her she should be working harder!

She’s only 14 at this point (the photo isnt taken for another 3 years) and is just a student.

4 Likes

Which kinda begs a question. Even without nanomachine healing -why cant they just um…clone peoples arms, legs, organs?

Is cloning still not allowed on 2075 ?

Mercy’s healing nanobiotics likely allow stem-cell like nanites to rebuild damaged tissue. They can heal wounds by replacing the missing cells there, or provide them with a treatment that enhances their natural function.

Cloning is a different process entirely. It’s genetic- which means that in order for a replacement limb to precisely match what was there before, it would need to be attached to an organism raised in precisely the same conditions with precisely the same resources and exposure as Torbjorn Prime. Then, it would be violently sawed off of the cloned Torby, and surgically grafted to the first Torb. And all of this would need to not damage the nerve endings in that severed arm. Not a good process for anyone.

If I had to guess, the tissue regeneration plan would simply be a layer of advanced technodermis that would simulate the basic flesh feel on top of Torbjorn’s prosthetic- warmth, thickness and give, perspiration, etc. . It wouldn’t actually replace his arm, just give it a better sensation and quality of use than cold hard metal.

1 Like

The whole Joel Morricone thing. But we’ll probably hear about it later xD

1 Like

Whatever the lore director decides to dump next.