"We're reluctant to add hero bans"

To be fair the community doesn’t deserve this type of tool. We would just ban, throw and be toxic to each other.

2 Likes

I dunno part of me feels a full pick and ban would improve the health of the game. Having over tuned heroes benched would even the footing for everyone, and help to deter one tricking which is sort of frowned upon. Plus it helps to allow some of the “throw picks” a chance in the spot light sense it evens the overall playing field.

Even if the game gets a ban meta, at least it gives the devs clear signs a hero is over tuned and needs changes.

Also it puts the control of the meta in the players hands. Altogether its better in the long term rather then waiting for blizzard to make the right changes.

But what do I know. I’ve only seen that done in 3 other shooters. two being hero shooters too great success. But you know let’s keep claiming this community is too stupid to help it self…

Read the post further and you’ll see him mention one of the problems being players creating a ban meta.
Can you explain how that happens with different (maybe even fully RNG) bans each week?

1 Like

2 apples that players choose,
versus
3-4 apples that are chosen by the devs.

Yeah, they’re apples, but you taking away the context to fit your thread’s narrative isn’t valid criticism.

1 Like

Why not let the players pick the 4 apples?

I could see it happening. Some big YouTuber will look at the ban list and say don’t play this week because of x y z ban, Wait for a better week. Frankly it’s inconsequential though.

Jeff has stated that he doesn’t think it makes sense to give the other team control over what you can pick in a PvP game.

I personally think players picking 2 apples wouldn’t be so bad, but I haven’t played competitive enough (especially recently) to have a strong opinion either way.

I’m ok with 4 player-chosen as well personally, but the dev’s take on it is still their take.

The difference is if hero bans were added I would ban Pharah Every. Single. Game. until I stopped playing.

Frankly 2 from picks for each team and it flat bans the chosen heroes for both teams for the whole match is the best option. But we will have to wait until 2021 for bliz to catch up to that logic.

Because random is unbiased and fair. Have you seen the Avengers movie? Any problems that may arise go away within a week.

But if it’s put to a vote for the whole team. Chances are slim you will always get your pick.

Hero bans is a good system for Pros and 6 stacks. For everyone else, Hero pools is the better answer - doesn’t hold up the start of the game and removes the arguments that would ensue on what to ban. I think it’s a good compromise.

2 Likes

I’ll wait to see how it plays out. I’m just disappointed bliz is taking this route and I’m bellyaching about it.

If you think Hero bans would be healthier than hero pools you have zero knowledge of this game, how it works, how the playerbase works, or how meta works.

Hero bans would just result in a ban meta. It’d be the same stale ban meta every game. And it’d promote toxicity and bickering at the start of every match.

Hero pools actually solves the problem of a stale meta every week. You’d know what heroes were banned that week before you even queued into a game, no time wasted squabling with teammates over who to ban. And the Devs have full control of it, not the toxic playerbase.

Jeff also spent over an hour talking with us in a forum thread about how they will work and how he is more than open to changing the system based on feedback to be per match, per week, per day, etc etc or even flat out removing the system if it doesn’t work. Maybe stop complaining until we actually see how it goes, ok?

1 Like

i think ur overreacting man. how can u even abuse a ban system? i want u to tell me that. and think oh maybe hide a profile/player names? they even have private profile.
like really if ur thinking like this then maybe competitive isn’t the game mode for u since bans are only for competitive.
it also makes me think its ur first competitive game too.

can you tell me some cuz i can’t think of any other than hero abuse? which is encouraged in this community.

I’m fine with a ban meta. I see no issue with it.

I’ve played this game since launch and have more faith in my teammates and how they choose their picks, then I do with devs picking it every week.

Will I try it out, yes. Will I stop complaining the whole time I try it? No.

Also who are you to assume I know nothing about a game I have played often and seen every meta in its roots. I trust it’s player base to make the changes they need to be successful and pick and bans are how you do that.

1 Like

The Mei wall bug from the first winter wonderland, the Sym immortal TP bug, Mercy SR boosting, When the game didn’t have leaver penalties during comp, There’s a few more but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

no it wouldnt. low ranks would ban certain heroes like moria, reaper ect.
high ranks would choose either sigma/orisa (only need to ban 1) next ban chooses ur playstyle, ban brig if u want dive/tracer to pop off, widow/pharah due to maps that are good with them. like the only ban meta thing that will happen would be 1st pick really. u only need 1 ban to cripple a meta anyways. like goats, ban brig and u cant go goats anymore, then the rest of the bans are different from game to game depending on ur teams hero pools.

2 Likes

now imagine if u had a ban system so u can avoid those things. u really got me thinking that it would be a good idea cuz with blizzard being random bans. u can still abuse this stuff lol.

all of these were caused by blizzard and took a while to fix. so ur saying ur going to trust them??? i just wish i had as much faith as you, maybe u should try the lottery and try and get a refund for warcraft 3 reforged while ur at it.

2 Likes

With a community like this, actual hero bans will run the game into the ground faster than an atomic bomb.