Were Mercy and Moira's backstories once the same?

What I mean is that…was Moira Mercy’s dark side? Was Mercy initially supposed to have this evil aspect of her personality where she abused her knowledge to create godless things?

I only say this because it seems any semblance of this story was removed. Mercy comments on Reaper’s condition only for him to respond “You tell me, Doc…” implying something happened between them that caused this.

In addition to that Mercy’s Witch skin has a strange part of its description where it states that The Reaper is bound to her for some unknown reason. While it’s just a skin within a non-canon game it’s definitely implying something to point toward the fact that it was MERCY that turned Reaper into what he is.

But after seeing Moira’s backstory trailer; all of this was gone. Did the writers just decide to take the supposed ‘Dark Side’ of Mercy and turn it into a character? Because right now Mercy is just a 1-dimensional good girl that has about as much depth as a crack in the sidewalk. If this is true it’s really saddening.

3 Likes

Mercy never had a dark side. From the beginning, her character was morally upstanding and a good person - nothing has been removed from her story. The community, falsely believing that Mercy was responsible for creating Reaper, created their own version of Mercy that was obsessed with preventing death and playing God.

7 Likes

The Junkenstein AU is not 1:1 with the real world. There are a number of amusing coincidences, but its far from exact. Mercy had no hand in creating Reaper or Roadhog, and Junkrat had no part in creating Roadhog or the Omnic Crisis. Likewise, Symmetra has nothing to do with anything the Summoner does.

2 Likes

Why in the world would mercy create a bloodthirsty monster like reaper…while I admit that would be interesting, it doesn’t suit her character…besides Moria fits the bill for creating dark things.

The original theory long time ago was that Mercy tried to resurrect Reyes using a early version of her Ultimate which was botched and cause what he is, 2nd theory was that her ress didn’t mesh in with his Soldier enhancements and cause his ghost powers, either way definitely would have been a interesting take on Mercy because her trying to help created a monster so to speak.

Wanted to add it also would have went well with their themes of life and death.

2 Likes

I speculate Moira and Mercy are responsible for Reaper.

Moira will do anything to further her research. So in her Origin trailer she’s seen giving Reyes his shadow abilities. Being the manipulative genius, she knew Reyes would eventually require Mercy’s aid in some capacity. So to test a possible experiment, she injected Reyes with a catalyst that would remain dormant in Reyes until triggered by Mercy’s treatments. Likely having to do with that research paper in the Oasis map.

Mercy just unknowingly helped conduct one of Moira’s experiments because Moira knew of Mercy’s predictable and exploitable caring nature.

Playing God yet we don’t know if Christianity exist in this alternative universe.

Mercy is not responsible for Reaper. The closest she could have possibly played a role is if Moira adapted her nanobiotic tech in her alterations. Mercy did nothing with him.

It does. Soldier 76 is Catholic.

Solider 76 Catholic I see the devs finally decide to put real-world religions into the lore.

Also solider 76 is gay so I’m confused why dev writing would make him Catholic

Overwatch takes place on our world 60 or 70 some odd years into the future

I need to read the lore again. Because I’m forgetting the lore. Granted the lore moves as fast as snail.

I think I remember one of my friends mentioning that theory, but i also remember hearing some unused voicelines awhile back and couldn’t remember if it was deleted or never used. Something about reaper accusing mercy into turning him into a monster and her knowing about it. But than again people make up a lot of stuff on the internet soooo…

1 Like

Catholics hating gay people is a stereotype, the church has already become more accepting, it’s totally possible for a gay man to be Catholic, especially 60 years in the future where sexuality is most likely not considered controversial unless you’re dating an omnic.

4 Likes

I know its stereotypes. It doesn’t change the fact that there are orthodox that dislike gay. This has changed over the years. But, it wouldn’t surprise if it still a issue 60 years later.

Which, if you read my statement in its entirety, is exactly what i said. How about reading instead of getting triggered?