Went 5-0 and did not rank up

I just went 5-0 as support and the app glitched before assigning rank up. When I checked my career profile I was still gold 1. I should have ranked up to plat 5. I was gold 1 and won 5 games in a row in plat (4/5) lobbies and I think the glitch messed up my ranking. All my friends ranked up and I’m so upset bc I should have ranked up too

1 Like

Unfortunately the rank update isn’t a guaranteed rank up, I’ve seen players (mainly on Reddit) post videos of going 5-0 either staying the same rank, or even going down a tier or two. The rank system doesn’t seem to work very well.

1 Like

I’m currently diamond 4 tank and I won 5 consecutive games in a row on role que, but did not rank up either. As if the ranking system wasn’t broken enough! How are we ever supposed to climb like this? We lose a couple games and get de-ranked but don’t rank up with 5 wins!? Please note that i also got play of the game twice, and my stats were always among the top, if not the best in game.

2 Likes

I’m gm 2 went 5-1 deranked gm3 75%

1 Like

This!! My stats were really good. I fully think it’s because of a glitch though. Because the game closed out before showing my “new” rank. Does anyone from blizzard ever reply to these?? I’ve been hard stuck in gold and just want to rank up to play ):

1 Like

You can go 50 - 0 but as long as they game considers you any worse than 100% of the other players in your rank, you go nowhere.

1 Like

I would believe it more if any of the ranking information popped up after my 5th win, but it didn’t bc the game crashed. I was in plat 4 and 5 lobbies for all games and my stats were insanely good. My friend ranked up from plat 1 to diamond 5 and our stats were almost identical. So it seems more like a bug. Especially since it was the first day of the new season.

1 Like

This dev blog has a section that talks about what factors into the MMR update after each match.

What %-ile of the way through G1 were you before this competitive update? If you started at the very bottom of your division, 5 games may not result in a rank-up, particularly if you happened to get matched against teams that were rated a little worse than yours (on average) in the update set.

Also, how long has it been since you played competitive in that mode/role? If you don’t play for a while, your MMR decays a bit. The decay doesn’t get reflected in your rank until you get a competitive update, though, so it can make for some confusing updates. Generally, you might be able to notice the decay from the lobby rank averages, but since you were playing with a group, that might have obscured it.

How long has it been since you played ranked on that mode/role? I took about 2 months off of comp between seasons 4 and 5, and when I came back I still showed as M3 but was playing mostly in D1 lobbies. I went 5-2 and “deranked” to 60th %-ile M5, but given that my MMR had apparently dropped to D1-ish, M5 makes complete sense.

You said above that “all of your friends” had ranked up. How many friends were you playing with, and what were their ranks? That you were playing in P4/5 lobbies is a reflection of your group’s combined MMR, not just yours. If you had been playing in a duo with this P1 friend, getting P4/5 lobbies would suggest that your MMR had decayed quite a bit below G1, maybe to G3/4.

Also, stats don’t matter in the slightest. The only data from the game itself that matters is the win/loss outcome. Everything else that factors into the MMR update calculation is known before the match starts.

1 Like

I’m not sure what MMR is? I’m gold 1. I played with two friends. Plat 1 and Gold 2. They both ranked up to the next ranking. I didn’t get to see anything for my ranking because the game crashed right after the match ended.

1 Like

MMR is a completely hidden stat/number that only Blizzard has access to and is what is actually used to determine who you are matched against/how you are ranked.

The whole Gold/Plat/Diamond rank thing? Doesn’t mean anything, by their own admission it’s just for visual purposes. Your MMR dictates who you are matched against and how the game considers your skill level is.

If the game says your skill level based on MMR is say… Gold 1, then by the game’s logic you are freely eligible to make progress toward the visual representation that matches it.

Try and go for Plat. however and the game goes “woah, wait a sec. by my records you aren’t that good, but we’ll make a note of it and revisit the evaluation in a few weeks/months”.

So where a record of 10 wins in a row should be enough to move anyone to a higher division; in reality based on how close you are to what the game has set as its data on how good it thinks you are, that 10 win streak ma need to be closer to a 40-50 win streak to actually make progress.

The longer you’ve played, the more data it has on you and the harder it is to change what the game thinks.

1 Like

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. I’ve linked the competitive bugs megathread at the bottom of this post, which archives and documents almost every competitive bug. I put your thread under: Incorrect Rank Adjustment. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads, we must demand the Developers to give us the rewards we rightfully earned.