Weird Game Freezes & Crashes in Ranked

Froze & crashed on death animation twice tonight, both in ranked games (the quick play game between these ranked games ran just fine, however). The first one said the “rendering device crashed” (which has never happened in any game I’ve ever run on this computer in the three years I’ve owned it). The second time it simply froze on death animation & closed out the game.

5 Likes

Had the same bug. Died and the game just froze but kept playing in the background. I could hear my team chatting and shooting but I was stuck at the death screen.

I have the same as rowdy, game freezes, manually force a restart of OW, cant easily close it either. At least 4 friends I played with last 2 days have had the same happen

Yes i have the same issue. PLEASE FIX THIS!!! Game not playable like this.

I had the same happen to both me and my wife’s game. Both in Quickplay though. After death while watching killcam the game froze up and crashed.

It’s not you. we need, really need an official reply to confirm they know about it!

Sounds kind of like what happened to us. My GF had it during comp and lost 50 sr on top of being locked out because of it.
My current guess would be that pressing tab during the start of the death cam freezes but not only the game no it renders the entire computer useless and only a hard reset fixes this.
Pretty a-mei-zing that this made it through QA …

Having the same problem here. I’ll be fine for a few matches and then I’ll suddenly die and have the game freeze on the kill cam and the “critical health” sound effect is just playing in constant loop in the background.

Tried Alt+Tab to access my desktop or even the home button access my desktop but I couldn’t. Talked with a few players in game and they’re having the same problem, tho some of them were able to access their desktop and go to task manager and close the game.

I’ve had to completely restart my computer every time and it’s happened enough times where I just got the warning that if I leave too many games I’m going to be penalized

1 Like

Was on Hanamura Attack as Rein 5 mins ago. Died as Rein for the 2nd time on the 2nd control map. Upon death, screen immediately hung but the background sound played. My team mates informed me that I disconnected from the game but on my end, I couldn’t access my task manager or anything, had to force shut my PC.

When I returned to the game, I received a penalty and temporary ban. Just thought it was unfair since obviously some people don’t disconnect on purpose. Hope Blizzard find a way to identify who are the true trolls in the game.

Okay at least I’m not the only one that had to do a hard reset

2 Likes

Yeah it is really annoying! Get all your friends to post here aswell! The more people who share their experience the sooner it get’s fixed

Anyone know if this is across all platforms right now, or just pc having this bug? Cuz I play on PC and the freezing kill cam has been happening quite often

So i can definitely confirm now that one problem is related to PRESSING TAB WHILE THE DEATHCAM STARTS

• i will turn on the option of skipping the deathcam by default and report back here
  • also a workaround to the computer freeze can be used if you have 2 monitors and move the task manager to the 2nd monitor before you start the game you can then access it from there as it is a display freeze on os level only
  • thanks for the ruined match :smiley:

How do you move it to second monitor?? I have that but couldn’t. For me it also freezes during rounds and such, or durig gameplay. Not sure it it is TAB but will double check! Good tip.

And yes it is on PC for me and all my friends

The same has happened to me (except I don’t get the rendering issue - I get no error report, partially because I am forced to hard reboot). Keep reporting and reposting.

I’ve never had DC, crash, or freeze issues prior to the most recent patch. Since then, I have experienced my game freezing going into the map/prior to hero selection (I can still hear the music play all the way through/sounds of my team in spawn but cannot see anything), I have also experienced my game crashing right after dying - it just freezes on my death, I’m still hearing the game and in VC, but my game won’t do anything.

In both instances, the only way to fix the issue is having to do a hard reboot. I cannot even Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to Task Manager to force stop the game.

Drivers are all up to date, no background programs, downloads, overlay issues, etc. Scanned & repaired OW via Blizzard client and problem still persists.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
NVIDIA GTX960M
Windows 10 (64 bit)
16GB RAM

So has turning off kill cam worked so far?

Same here. Screen freezes in the middle of the match, but audio is still playing.

Intel Core i7-5820K 6x3.30GHz
GTX970

1 Like

5th time this has happened to me today, update on fixing this please Blizzard?!

Same here… i want my lost SR back!

I have the same behaviour. Always Ranked Matches and always when i get killed. It just gets stuck. 4 times now. This also ended in short term suspension cause of that.
Never had it before.

Nvidia up to date. Windows up to date. No Changes since the patch. Only happens since the Event is over.