Weird error symbol, leads to "Lost connection to game server"

imgur dot com/a/Jye3KYd)

I got this symbol while queuing for a game of competitive. I’m on East Coast. I’m not able to reconnect to NA servers, but am able to login to EU/Asia. This has happened once before and has cleared it self after 24 hours. Not sure what will happen this time.

Stuff I’ve tried

• Release Renew ip address
  • Renew DNS
  • Reset modem/routers
  • Scan game files

Tracert attached below:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Fios_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 13 ms 2 ms 1 ms 24.105.62.129

That’s the symbol for severe packet loss. Can you add a WinMTR?

WinMTR instructions (click to expand/collapse)

Share your results in a reply:

1. Click the “Copy Text to clipboard” button after you’ve finished the test.
  2. Paste the text in a reply, highlight it, then click &lt;/&gt; on the post editor.
  3. Break links by adding a space before .com/.net, so you can post them.

* Please do not remove full hostnames instead of adding spaces, as this makes troubleshooting much more difficult.

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|   Fios_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home -    0 |  184 |  184 |    0 |    0 |    4 |    0 |

|                           24.105.62.129 -    0 |  184 |  184 |    1 |    2 |   30 |    3 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

Sorry for the janky reply, and from posting from my other account. The issue seems to have resolved itself now unfortunately :(. It’s very odd, I noticed it happens when a particular friend leaves our group after done playing for the night.

Maybe they’re forcing you to another server by being in the group. Or maybe their rating is forcing another server to find a balanced match.

Happened again randomly after a game ended. No severe packet loss symbol this time.
WinMTR |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| Fios_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home - 0 | 119 | 119 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 |
| 24.105.62.129 - 0 | 119 | 119 | 1 | 3 | 60 | 2 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

If that’s the entire test, it looks like your ISP is blocking how they route traffic. You may need to address the issue with them, but it does look like your data made it all the way to Blizzard with a relatively low ping.

Thanks Nicole. I am tracking progress on the mega thread Verizon, FIOS issues in NJ area - #57 by TwentyVT-1398 - it seems that VPNing to NYC fixes the issue as of now.

1 Like

Excellent, glad you spotted the thread. I forgot about it, oops. Also glad the VPN is a good fix for now.

1 Like