We now have a 3rd Spirit Animal user as a hero. Interesting

Y’know I never really thought that we’d get any more Spirit Animal users apart from Genji and Hanzo, but now that we do, I’m thinking that this is gonna lead to an explanation on how exactly it all works.

As far as I know, we never really got a clear cut explanation on how Genji and Hanzo’s Spirit Dragons actually work. Like, what are they and how are they even able to be summoned by them in the first place? Are they actual spirits or are they similar to Vishkar’s hard-light constructs?

I feel like an answer to all of this is just inevitable at some point. Like at this point they just gotta bring this up in the lore and/or Overwatch 2 campaign, seeing as it’s no longer unique to just Genji and Hanzo.

1 Like

The devs have confirmed that there is no magic in the Overwatch setting. Hard light is the best explanation we have right now.

I don’t think this is something that will get explained - it works because they say it does, like Tracer’s chronal accelerator or Sigma’s gravity powers.

3 Likes

I guess Japanese people are just like this in the overwatch world.

1 Like

Its not that Japanese people are like this. Asa Yamagami was the swordmaster of Hanzo and Genji, and the hero is likely her daughter. That’s just 3 heroes with close knit connections to each other. Kind of like how not all Americans are super soldiers or cowboys.

2 Likes

I was joking. It’s not like junkerqueen would suddenly confirm that all Australians are psychopaths.

1 Like

in an interview in thai and in an AMA the devs have always refused to talk about magic, but never mention technology. but they also said that they don’t care at all to explain in detail how every single element works in Overwatch.

I think this is a narrative gimmick not to mention a strange spiritual energy that could alter OW’s conception of “science fiction” to “fantasy”, even if the line between the two is quite thin. I personally believe it is both: an “oriental exotic secret” in the spiritual plane (a teaching in fighting techniques?) and a “technological secret” about how one can compute this spiritual figure in the real plane (a neural technology?). we will never know, it will remain a secret like the contents of the briefcase on pulp fiction lore :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think they gonna do Naruto’s chakra veins thing. There’s no other way to explain in-universe the spirits are only blood related as Hanzo said.

Hanzo didn’t say they were blood related - he said that “only a Shimada can control the dragons”. Could be a family secret (or Hanzo just being dramatic).

Hard light is a good explanation. Given there is no talks of magic in the overwatch universe and it is all technology or science based. Tracer being an exception because an accident involving a teleporter malfunction caused genetic anomalies that prevent her from being anchored to time? Being able to move through space would make sense but time not so much. Kind of like Barry Allen being covered in a plethora of “electrified” chemicals give him the ability to move fast? just doesn’t make sense

1 Like