We Need to Dispel Some Myths About Mercy

I wouldn’t say she is OP but what I will say is every other healers healing output is way too low to keep up with the amount of damage that gets done, on top of the rez (even if it is on a long CD and you move as slow as a slug doing it).

Here’s Jayne on the issue

And that is extremely useful, especially when we consider that it will almost always be available for those occasions. The power to consistently reverse an early-fight pick and prevent a snowball before it starts is insane.

A risk that really isn’t difficult to work around.

This has been the case since… forever. Why is it causing her dominance now when it didn’t for many seasons prior to her rework?

If this was all there was to it, Mercy would have fit in somewhere prior to her rework; the tank meta for example. Consistent healing would have meshed well with a bunch of tanks… but Lucio was there instead.

By .5/game. And now it’s being used to reverse the first pick every fight, unlike mass-resurrect.

Which is why it is always used right before one, removing the incentives for that fight in the first place.

1 Like

How challenging they are mechanically (or overall, for that matter) is not relevant. Balance is based upon balance, not how “difficult” a hero is to use.

9 Likes

additional thought: I think there was a time, before Brig was added, that made Mercy possibly just about ‘balanced’. And that was during late dive - with no Brig to punish divers, Mercy’s rez was a seriously risky move. But now dive is dead, it’s exposed the sheer unbalanced-ness of having rez on CD. If it comes back (god forbid) with Triple Tank Dive, she may again get into a place where she is ‘balanced’. But that doesn’t erase the fact that rez on CD is objectively a bad idea

2 Likes

YES.

3 Likes

Yet another well written thread! You never upset me not once! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

That also poses another problem. It seems that even metas inadvertedly expose a problem. They did something to solve it momentarily, but never addressed to core issue to begin with.

Its like putting a bandaid on a stab wound.

3 Likes

Although Mercy isn’t exactly a must-pick, I’m one of those people who thinks she got the wrong nerfs. I do think that the reduction in her ult duration was a good nerf, but Resurrect is still on a 30-second CD even though she already has a good non-healing ability called “Damage Boost”(and this ability is already powerful). Now she just doesn’t even feel rewarding to play. Those back-line picks you got on people at the beginning of a fight? Still undone by this ability. Tanks still easily create space for Mercy to resurrect, allowing that obnoxious enemy who had ult to just come back instantly and blow every one up. This is what I think should have happened:

• Make Resurrect and keep the 2 charges and shortened CD during ult like from Valkyrie 1.0, but only allow Resurrect to be used 20 seconds after Valkyrie begins.

• Instead of nerfing the Valkyrie speed so that it feels boring and vulnerable, either bring the ult’s duration down to 13 seconds or make the health regeneration not instant.

I saw a thread suggesting those idea for how Mercy should have been nerfed and I agree with it. Mercy still completely out-shines the other healers in most situations(partly because Moira got an unneeded healing nerf that made her less effective at her niche even though League players like the Fuel still chose Mercy+Zen for Triple-tank on Horizon over Moira+Lucio.) I would say make the above-mentioned changes to Mercy, maybe have a SMALL speed buff for nano-boosted targets, and either allow Moira to heal through shields again OR have her damage orb replenish some of her resource meter(I like the ladder idea better).

Says the guy that says we should entirely ignore that Mercy was dominating the pickrates before the rework for 99% of the playerbase.

Because she was tied for second place in the very very top less than 1% of players.

I disagree. Resurrect and Damage Boost have been a part of Mercy’s kit since launch, and Mercy didn’t become OP until Resurrect was put on an E.

4 Likes

I can imagine that only the strongest are picked but that doesn’t say much about the “OP-ness” of the heros at the top. All those pickrates would indicate are the relative role effectiveness between heros in the same role. I would agree though that if pickrates are as skewed as they are said to be then it might be saying something important, something the devs might want to take a look at. The pickrate gap could very well be due to Mercy being “OP”, but pickrates alone are inconclusive without supporting data.

I’m not defending where Mercy is rather taking aim at the logic supporting some contentions.

1 Like

You must not be talking about me. I never said that, because that statistic you provided has been confirmed to be incorrect by Jeff Kaplan himself in season 5:

"But looking at Competitive only… here are the top 6 picked heroes: Mercy (by a long shot), 76, D.Va, Lucio, Ana and Genji. Interestingly, number 7 is Reinhardt. Next tank after that is… Wi… no Roadhog. So in the past month in Comp, that’s what you’ve been actually playing.

But let’s talk about the elite players… maybe the top 3rd of all MMR. Their top picked hero over the past month was…. Ana. Yes, Ana."

Overwatch Forums

I’m assuming you’re going to roll with that 2/3rds of the playerbase and use that statistic as an argument, but let me remind you:

So allow me to add some context that tosses the conclusion you are trying to draw out the window:

Not tied, and not second place either. You’ll have to go much lower than that.

6 Likes

I agree with a lot of points but it’s not just resurrection…
Yes her healing is way consistent and basically easy to use in comparison to other healers.

Damage boost is strong you’re comparing Orisa and Mercy when Orisa’s damage boost is an ultimate and can be destroyed… whereas Mercy has damage boost on her at anytime whenever she needs to use it and used on the right target it’s quiet powerful… I do believe her damage boost is one of the reasons she’s way too popular what’s another popular pick that increases the damage on a target whenever they want? Zen… the two most popular supports have abilities that increase damage. coincidence? don’t really think so.

1 Like

On another note, I would like gauge what some people’s opinions on if rez was made more pre-emptive? Khepri from Smite has to cast his rez on an ally that is alive, if that ally dies then they are revived instantly. Could this idea work on Mercy? And how would that affect her and this issue under discussion?

I’m not saying this a solution, but I wonder what people think.

I would like to see what the win rate is for teams across the ladder when they DONT have a mercy. Then I would like to see them when they dont have a mercy and the opposing team does.

Pick rates tell you how often a hero is being picked. We cant lie to ourselves and say man Mercy is fighting with rein for most pick hero ladder wide that is bronze, silver,gold,up to GM and realize she was also the most picked hero during dive for probably the vast majority of the ladder if not THE whole ladder.

Now people will look at win rate of mercy and be like man she is just over 50 percent how can you call her overpowered. That is where you say well of course cause most of the time she is on both teams and both teams cant win

I hate Mercy.

20 char.

I guess that makes me think we’re going to want Blizzard provided pickrate stats, to actually settle the issue.

Would probably help settle a lot of concern about Mercy’s current and former power levels.

Especially since private profiles are going to make stats sites less accurate.

Resurrect was never paced at your own performance. It was yet another feature that relied on Mercy’s teammates. If your team played smart and took very little damage or if they get instamelted by a Widow or something you got very little ult charge. There’s nothing a “good” mercy can do to stop this from happening. However, if your team continuously walks into damage, just for you to heal them back up, that isn’t your own skill. You’re just capitalizing on how bad the enemy team is at securing kills. Getting rez as old mercy had more to do with the enemy’s skill than it has to do with yours.

pretty much every game I am in everyone has their profile private.