We did it! for what?

I convinced my friend to do his placements matches

we successfully won 9 matches in a row

Then the typical hollywood scenario :

Jeff received an alert because 9-0 is unacceptable. The matchmaker put us with a 3-stack that instalocked genji-hanzo-doomfist. We had to switch to the “heal” mode.

And we did it 10-0!

We eagerly waited for his score:

Edited: Removed inappropriate context - Forum Mod

What rank was he last season, that probably had an effect on his current placement matches.

This is closer to 9 losses from silver.

Probably that is about where he ended last season, plus a bonus for sweeping placements.

More detail:

(2) Overwatch Forums The statement, “You go on a large win or loss streak, it gets less certain” is no longer valid, as win streak bonuses (and loss streak penalties) have been removed from the game.
(15) Developer Update | Upcoming Season 6 Changes | Overwatch - YouTube
(24) Season Placement Data - Google Sheets
(29) Overwatch Forums
(34) Overwatch Forums

i don’t remember the SR but , i’m pretty sure it was higher. Same for me, i did 6-4 and started lower than last season SR

So placements are pretty much useless, win/lose carry/carried

We should get a starting point for each rank(probably just plats and below) at the beginning of the season
like , you finished Gold, you’ll start at 2250 , etc

A gm could o your placements and not change the outcome…

again another post that needs the good old dislike

do ppl still not know that the SR isnt reset every season? Unless you had a fresh account placement, your complaints make no sense.

Congrats, if you lost games you would have ended up in silver.

You got gold because of your performance, winning/losing only matters when you are obviously better than everyone else (like when you are a GM who just made a fresh account and have no wish to smurf)You performed at a level of a silver/gold, accept it.

whats the context? were you expecting GM or masters for winning 10 placement games? is he a new player? if hes not new whats his previous rank? did you carry him because stats do matter

I feel like a lot of people are missing the point. The game tries to put you on the right SR level only going off 10 matches. 10!!! That is way too little to actually determine your SR. It goes off your last season too because most likely your skill has not changed much from last season to the current season. Its not like its going to rank you up to platinum just because you won all 10 placement matches.