We desperately need tanks who are fun to play

I HATE playing tank because I do NOT have fun doing it. I will play tank when we need it but it feels like a damn chore and it makes me wanna cry. Bored to tears.

Would be nice to see a new anchor tank that is actually super fun to play.

If Brig was worked into off tank, I would totally play that. Brig is not a very well designed hero, but she is at least fun. I think she should be reworked into off tank

1 Like

Doesn’t even sound like a “tank” at this point. Sounds like you want this game to be DPSwatch. Take it elsewhere, all superhard heroes is boring and pointless.

Yeah, that’s how I feel about tanking. I just can’t stand it even if it’s what the team needs.

1 Like

Hammond is fun but I wish he had a way to block damage other than knocking enemies around so they miss shots.

They still control space, they’re just not so boring and kind of facerolly to play. I think I want something in between a tank and the original game’s concept of a defense hero.

Its sad. It really shouldn’t be that way. I totally understand why everyone just wants to play DPS. When you have the tanks and the healers, playing DPS is probably the most fun you can have in Overwatch. Which is a shame for the people who are “working” in Overwatch (tanks/healers)

I think Hammond could be fun, but Imo, he is just so bad and he isn’t great at protecting the team.

I wish his adaptive shields worked on allies instead of enemies and you get 100 shield for every ally (stacking) but each ally that triggered the shield also gets 100 max shield.

Does that makes sense?

So if you activated shields while 3 allies were around you, you would get 400 shields and each ally would get 100 shields.

I feel like he could activate this with his team before he jumps in and it would be a way to help his team push into a choke or something, or help his team mid fight on a point.

I think it would make him a better tank. Trying to throw yourself into the middle of a pack of enemies to get max shields is a bad move most of the time

1 Like

Orisa is #1 waifu, not sure what you’re talking about.

Eh, I don’t really think anyone has really failed at making the roles fun.

They attract certain kinds of individuals. I don’t think you’ll ever have tanks (or supports for that matter) as popular as damage dealers are.

Namely, the roles just feel like they have more responsibilities than damage dealers / DPS do. Most people don’t find it fun to be the ones responsible for keeping others alive and often being blamed when the group dies. Or feel like the defacto leader among groups since tanks are usually the first to move in (as a part of making space / taking agro and defending the team).

Personally, I’ve always found healing and tanking to be more fun than just being a damage dealer. But I know “fixing” the roles is next to impossible. There’s nothing really to fix. It’s just part of the design.

1 Like

I’ve said this before elsewhere, but I think there should be a cyborg samurai tank.

People like Genji because he’s a cyborg ninja, and cyborg ninjas are cool. Well so are cyborg samurai. I bet a lot of people would be really hyped to play a character like that.

To OP, though: Tanks aren’t really slow. Zarya, Orisa and Roadhog are slow. Rein is slow except when he’s charging. Winston and DVa are actually pretty fast and can leap/fly around. Hammond is literally the fastest character in the entire game.

1 Like

“WE DESPERATELY NEED TANKS WHO ARE FUN TO PLAY”

You…do realize that people find tanks fun to play now…right? And that fun is in the eyes of the beholder?

uh…what?

So…Tanks shouldn’t exist and we should only have DPS and Healers?

I think you could have tanks who weren’t big and slow, more regular hero like but with tanking abilities.

The most biased opinion out here.

“This guy hates tanks” if you couldn’t tell.

But 3 of the 4 highest mobility heroes in the game are tanks. And they two of those are extremely good at blocking damage and picking off targets.

Winston is ruined by his skill-less weapon. And Dva… well, not ideal. But I did enjoy playing her more than most tanks.

I think it would help if they had less health and more dodge. It would make feel more like I won through skill and less like I won through numbers.

So you want them to be DPS.

3 Likes

Not exactly. Maybe 300 hp and normal size character models with tank abilities and weapons that were better but harder to use.

That would make them absolutely terrible at low ranks, and a must pick at higher ranks.

Else you’re just advocating for more mei and doomfist type characters. As they’re dodgy, have tank-like abilities, normal sized hitboxes, have awkward to use weapons, and around 250 health

Yeah I think Mei is just barely away from what I’d want to see as tanks.

That sounds terrible.

2 Likes

Why? Mei is fun. I’d tank if more tanks were like her.