Was the pre-RQ era really good?

100%.

Teams who wanted too win didn’t run 6 dps (even if Gold and lower players think that always happens).

If your team lacked something (perhaps hitscan DPS) it was great to swap (even if to force the enemy team to swap off something like phara) and then go back to tank if you needed.

Part of the fun of a team based game is to pick what you want to play. Not being forced to play a role that has a faster queue time.

That’s because the “minority” is gone.

1 Like

It was good if the team worked together, it was exceptionally terrible for people that didn’t.

1 Like

I still can’t fathom how much they can complain when the open queue qp and comp are literally right there in the game. What’s the point? You want to take away the thing other people enjoy more?

2 Likes

I love it when topics are done in a nice and clean manner right from the get go.

But yeah it was terrible. As a flex player who could play at least 2 heroes from each role ready to fill in what the team needs it was just awful watching your teammates instalock Tracer, Widow, Genji and Hanzo; especially since about only 1 out of every dozen players could actually play these heroes. If your opponents played the game properly with a proper comp you’d just lose on the spot to this. After 500-600 hours in the game I was already so done with this that I started to actively leave whenever players just did this. It got so bad at some point that I didn’t play for months especially since those players who I stacked up at the time had pretty much all quit the game

The only redeeming quality about the OQ format really was when you stacked up. It was super nice being able to flex across roles or make coordinated counter comps to your opponents, but this was purely exclusive to stacking, which was rare to begin with. The summer before RQ hit the game was the most fun time I’ve had in the game ever, but that wasn’t ruined by RQ. It was ruined by Sigma’s release

1 Like

A long time ago there was literal proof there were more RQ players than oq players, and by a whole lot. I think Jeff did a questionnaire on Twitter or reddit or something. Was a long time ago but only 15% of the player base wanted to keep the game the way it was and the rest wanted RQ. Role Q won and was the last good thing Jeff did for this game before he left.

Untrue. The emotion is not false, its real. The game may not play out as predicted, but the feeling is real. As such, those players have valid opinions and are not wrong for experiencing that emotion.

No there wasnt.
The long ago “thing” was an usage statistic of the queues per region and that was done after they force choked 222 on the entire playerbase, eliminating OQ and bringing it … into Arcade.

Of course people that left the game , because of that, would not be part of those stats so yeah, not a minority at all.Just not the majority, which is a HUGE difference. Some people think it was 90/10 and it was more like 55/45.

Good in different way bad in others.

I personally preferred it. I understood the change to rq.

I consider it a failure now since they never supported it and poured the resources in to ow2.

They was a point were open queue was pretty balanced and tank or support was much more fun to play because as long as you played with the team people were just glad to have you play them.

I’d consider open queue better than rq in ow1. I hope with reasources 5v5 will be better.

So if they are not selfish, why do people say they are? Just curious your theory on that one. Love all this contrary reasoning, to the extent the devs felt the need to put in RQ, but for some odd reason according to OQ theorists there was no reason at all since teamwork abounded in OQ :thinking:

If they did they would have made a big deal about removing it in OW 2, they didn’t. Regardless, 1-2-2 seems to be a very good middle ground with in theory shorter queue times, perhaps 1-2 minutes or so for mid-tiers in theory. That is more than fine, if little Timmy is so ADD he cant wait one minute there is OQ games.

If you used the LFG tool to make a 6-stack for comp GOATS was in many, if not most games from Plat and up. Solo-queuers probably didn’t see much Goats until Masters at least, but comp plays A LOT differently in 6-stacks and is easily like playing a tier higher than solo queuing at the same SR would be. Your team has a plan going in and will be on comms, and usually, so will the enemy.

Peak competitive was when you could use LFG to 6-stack and it was relatively popular. They REALLY should have kept going down that road.

1 Like

The average tank player still has more experience being a tank player regardless of the hero than a support main.

this is what I refer to as self-fulfilling prophecy

this alleged proof was no such thing

it was data for a single day

on that single day, role-less queue had only just been re-introduced to the game after being gone many many months. Many folks did not know as of that day that it was even available

what was available was role-less queue as a temporary 30 day mode, buried one menu level down in the arcade menu. so many folks who were playing hadnt even seen it as an option and others werent interested because it was arcade and or because it was temporary

so the data in question represents an apples to oranges comparison, and as such isnt the proof it is described to be above

there was never a “need” for 222 to be inflicted upon us all

the game doesnt need it now, either

Be that so, its still result of a valid emotional reaction to the player’s personal experience in that situation.

How would you fix that problem?

RQ came about because GOATS was the only real viable strat at top levels of play (GM play, OWL, OW Contenders, etc.). The only reason GOATS was “meta” for so long is cos Blizzard wanted to balance the game in consideration of all competitive ranks (unranked to GM), which while noble, can lead to issues. Changing something that makes a hero “balanced” for Bronze rank would almost always lead to that hero being massively overpowered/underpowered in Masters/GM. Why? Cos GM/Masters players generally have more knowledge of the ins and outs of heroes than Bronze players.

Which is why Blizzard (smartly) generally balances around high-level play (Masters+) as opposed to all ranks nowadays. I know the average Joe like you and me would like Blizzard to balance around all ranks, but “balancing in consideration of all ranks” and “avoiding GOATS-like metas” (regardless of whether RQ is a thing) is and always will be mutually exclusive events, both in OW1 and OW2.

This is hilariously incorrect and you know it

I don’t know if it was better or not, I’m just kind of in the middle.

Open queue was the reason I became a tank main. I’d hop in a game every few matches and there would just be no tank. I got so sick of that happening, on top of trying to negotiate with other players to pick up the role, that I finally said “Screw this, I’ll just play tank every game and be done with this non-sense”.

That had it’s ups and down because being the only tank was frustrating, especially if people were saying “oh come on be a main tank, don’t be that off tank… blah blah”. So with that in mind, I liked having another tank on the field, which is one of the reasons I’m not excited to have one less tank in OW2.

If OW2 were to reverse and remove role-queue, they’d essentially have to re-balance all the tanks again, wouldn’t they? I mean… it’d be tough playing a game with more than one tank on the field if all the tanks still have their added health/damage.

I’m not “in the kitchen” so to speak when it comes to balance and how blizz alters the stats/abilities of the heroes… but with tanks, it seems like they just threw their hands up and said “screw this, we don’t feel like figuring this out so we’ll just straight up remove a tank from the match and then buff them to balance it out”.

I saw that and thought “sheesh come on blizz… that’s the best answer you could come up with?” I’ve tried OW2 and I’m just not feeling it. :expressionless:

im happy that “flex” players arent a thing anymore, 9 times out of 10 it would feel like the “flex” players were the first to swap to a preferred hero and ignore the team if things turned south. good riddance

1 Like