Voice chat needs to be compulsory for competitive

I have lost battles because of bad callouts also. If someone wants to get better they probably should learn to keep track of that enemy reaper versus relying on others.

You shouldn’t be playing competitive. Its not a tournament, its a game mode that emulates the tournament style of play. Maybe stick to OWL or LFG if you are going to be so picky about your teams’ choices.

3 Likes

I am not saying you cant lose because of bad call outs also, but you can mute people. You can chose if you will listen or not. If they are not in voice , you have no option. And btw games which i lost because of toxicity or bad calls are very rare compared to games where i lost because of people not listening or talking.

Suprisingly i won many games where team was very toxic even.

I have a good enough headset that I can hear the entire battlefield at once. I can hero Hanzo tiptoeing from spawn. I don’t need callouts.

I’m jk I do. but I usually play with a team in discord so I like to relax when I’m on my solo q account. I just tell everyone I’m shy.

I have lost most games to toxicity and bad calls. Having to scramble to mute someone in of the middle of a game changing fight is a pain. Resisting the urge to listen to the demands of a backseat driver while pushing as rein has caused wipes

If being in voice works for you then good. But others not being in voice is only harming you because you think you need that to climb.

I stopped reading here because you clearly have no clue what you’re on about.

It’s called Competitive for a reason.

Lol your loss. I couldnt care less.

Speaking of which - in addition to you not being the boss of anyone but yourself, your demand is absolutely unenforceable. Blizzard has no way of detecting whether or not external hardware is turned on.

This thread and other similar threads are a complete and utter waste of time. Might I suggest that taking the energy you’re current putting into misdirected animosity and putting it into improving the things you have control over would serve you better?

1 Like

Just throwing out another point that has come up a lot recently.

I play almost exclusively Moira for support. The way I play her, I typically will have the same damage and healing (+/- 500) and more often than not will be gold damage, if not silver. I try to heal as much as possible, but typically use Moira for bulk damage healing, which is what she’s good at with her spray, then healing orb situationally when extra is needed. When I have gold damage with Moira, I like to check myself and make sure my healing isn’t too far off what our other healer’s is. If I have 5k healing and the Ana has 6k, not too bad. If she has 10k, I need to step up my healing and change my play style a little.

If my other healer is in chat, who knows? Voice lines can’t communicate how much healing you have, so I can’t keep myself in check easier. It’s also good for comparing damage. If a Junkrat has less damage than me, he might not be getting countered, but the team might benefit from him changing his hero. Gotta love communicating in a healthy, beneficial way in this team-based game.

I feel you. What you (and OP) are asking is not by any means unreasonable. I like this game. And I like working woth my team to win. I just dont want to hear their voices. I like comp because people play differently than in qp (besides just VC). I also like knowing my SR and how I compare to my peers. I just have no real desire to talk to any of them.

Multiplayer online games are not a social experience for me in the way they are for you and OP, but to suggest anyone does not belong there because of one thing they do that someone doesn’t like when you are playing with random players is just silly.

Nope, it’s just a game and nobody is forced to talk with a bunch of randoms, OWL has people who play a lot together and it’s far away from just joining a game with random people, in Apex legends you can “communicate” with your team instantly by pinging things that you see or on the map, I think Overwatch lacks a in game built system like that.

In the higher ranks, yes. In ranks below diamond, it’s attitude.

Once your team starts throwing a tantrum like a 12 year old who dropped their tendies, it goes downhill fast.

1 Like

No and NO! The amount of times I join VC and there is this guy who thinks he is the best shoot caller and strategy expert, constantly blaming the team and/or leading the team in the wrong direction exceeds the amount of time I have had a good one.

Nowadays I don’t join VC, hell I even disable chat all-together and yet I still win games.

1 Like

I’d rather not listen to DPS college kids whining about how the tanks aren’t killing anything or diving 1v6 and complaining about how healers aren’t healing or yelling through mic how much everyone but them sucks or demanding everyone switch to a role that has no synergy with what they’re playing.

2 Likes

No. I mean, I might think people would consider it compulsory, possibly, at say Master rank and above. I bet, however, that those people are on mic already with no rules needed.

As far as the rest of the world is concerned, this is a casual game, whether anyone wants it to be or not. It simply has a ladder. This is not a real competitive game, except as a commercial.

But there is a solution, seriously. Queue with a group. This is probably for the best anyway, as lack of communication…if you believe it is so important…probably leads to a lot of other upsets, like character picks you don’t like, and people doing things you don’t approve of.

You aren’t going to control people, so you might as well find a group of people who think like you do, OP. Whether that be on mic, or character pics, or what have you. Otherwise, I just think you’ll continue to be frustrated and unhappy about it.

2 Likes

Just report the toxic players so that they will be the one getting muted automatically, rather than worrying about potential toxic players ruining your games thus disabling the voice-chat in the first hand.

A team based game to be fair…

I’m only referring to competitive play, and giving perceptions and suggestions on how to deal with something (ofc I can’t force people to do so) fundemental to this type of game.

Debatable. In a way they most def are. people not reacting to important callouts or not synergising is 10x more annoying and game ruining to me than just muting someone annoying. Cause a) problem I can’t solve but b) I can with a mute button.

Video games are about solving problems. Mechanicaly, intellectually and in this kind of game even Socially.
Yea I get it, some people don’t like it so they use cheats or they get boosted or not use voice to avoid solving those “problems” which is ofc, nobody is gonna die because of it, but still it’s not something that should be encouraged by any means necessary.

People being in voice or not has probably influenced less than 5 games you’ve ever played for a win or a loss (unless you’ve played on an organized team).

1 Like

They aren’t harming people. Doesn’t matter if its a team based game, you are playing with different strangers every round. At low SR you have people that do not know what they are talking about, even top coaches admit in comp that communication is the least important thing…it isn’t until mid masters it matters.

You only think you do worse without people in voice because you need something to blame. Others are telling you they do better. People climb up to GM without voice just fine.

Callouts are also irrelevant if people do not know what to do with the info.

2 Likes

Like what?