Vigilante 8 and Overwatch

Good point.

Theres no doubt that OW was heavily inspired by TF2 especially with the classes and weapons but I would argue some heroes such as Venture, Junkrat and Roadhog were more inspired by Vigilante 8. But its apparently that OW is esoteric, taking certain elements from multiple games.

I never played Critical Depth but that is cool! Looks like it came out in 1997, like Vigilante 8. Some very spooky and quirky characters in Critical Depth! :grin:

Vigilante 8 was a fun little game series in the Twisted Metal car combat genre. It was based on a 70’s vibe as opposed to TM’s post apocalypse setting, and had a much more light hearted approach.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it subconsciously affected a few developers over the years in different games. We all build on memories and experiences from our past. I don’t think there’s a direct connection between Vigilante 8 and Overwatch, but it’s fun to draw comparisons!

And yes, V8 is drink product. I actually recommend their Energy Drinks. They’re just tea, fruit juice, and vegetable juice. Many are quite tasty!

1 Like

Thanks! Great summary of the games and a valid point about the subconscious and past memories.

I enjoy V8 Splash myself. Love those tropical drinks :tropical_drink:

I strongly disagree with this one.
If you remove ult, he have the same abilities as demoman from tf2, but less bombs, still gameplay style is the same. He and torb were the most tf2 like heroes this game had at start.

1 Like