Very bad fps drops since patch

Ever since the patch today, I have been getting absolutely horrible fps drops. I have an i-7 7700k @ 4.5ghz, 32 gb of ram @ 3200mhz, and a 1080 gtx graphics card.

This set up has been more than enough to run Overwatch, and every other game I have for that matter, without a problem. This issue literally just started today with Overwatch, so I’m thinking it has to be something with the patch. Just letting you guys know, because it is really making me not want to play at all until this is fixed.

I have talked to others and they are experiencing the same issue.

6 Likes

Yeah, Im on a decent computer and it is REALLY not working well for me this patch!

5 Likes

I haven’t tried it out for my own yet, but my friends are having these lag issues as well.

It must be caused by the patch

2 Likes

Yeah i had drop too to 40 and 30 fps while i’m at constant 80 usually

1 Like

the game gets laggier with every patch… basically this is the first game that the more they work on it the worse it gets ive ever participated in

2 Likes

I did not pay over £1500 for this set up to have a 3 year old game run like trash. What is even going on at Blizzard right now letting this go live?

4 Likes

Squelching everyone’s chats and then hiding it with ctrl+shift+C seems to work. It’s not ideal but it makes the game playable.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is COMPLETELY Un-playable at this point. I had to walk away from it. The stuttering is INTENSE.

Watching Stat-logs of this game run in real-time on performance monitoring software. it is showing me that the game is NOT using ANYTHING from the GPU, It is ONLY leaning on the CPU and the RAM.

(insert some humor here). I wonder if they thought people were only going to run this game on “AMD APU” chips. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes
2 Likes

My game is actually stuttering and I get micro freezes every few seconds. This doesn’t happen usually so you’re not alone

3 Likes

I sure hope it is an update that begins to address the game’s engine. Id LOVE to see a new system that has these options.

Overwatch Advanced Graphics setttings.
Select The following for each graphics setting:

( _ ) Use GPU (your graphic’s card’s name)
( _ ) Use CPU (Your CPU hardware device)

The only time you’d actually want a specific feature to run on the CPU is if the GPU hardware doesn’t support it. Sharing resources between two graphics adapters is typically non-trivial and involves a decent amount of overhead and include lots of implicit synchronization between the two that typically makes performance even worse even on two adapters of the same performance. And that’s if you do it right.

Things like SLI work because nvidia has put in a metric ton of effort to parallelize the data flow, and sometimes it still doesnt work well.

I suspect base don the other thread what you more likely want is a way to toggle which adapter does everything so that you can force it to the GPU, but more realistically this should never be done to begin with. Software rasterizers are generally only useful for some corner case compatibility issues or for developers to test out features that aren’t supported on the hardware they have available.

1 Like

What would you suggest they should do to patch this overflow of issues occurring for end-users? :slightly_smiling_face:

This has been going on since 2017, but surfaces more and more each time. Especially today’s patch? To me, I see the CPU jumping up to nearly 100% when this game launches, while the GPU remains under-utilized even during the game. I see maybe 10-15%, vs the other titles i own.

Unfortunately I know very little about Overwatch’s underlying engine architecture, so I can’t answer that question.

If the issue is actually that it’s using the wrong adapter, then there’s a simple bug fix involved to select the correct one, and I dont know why it’s doing that.

If the issue is just that there’s an issue that pegs the CPU at 100% and bottlenecks the game so bad that the relative costs for rendering on the GPU are just so small that it’s perceived as negligible, then that’s a more broad issue that I wouldn’t know anything about.

1 Like

lol Fair enough! I am now seeing July 16th youtube posts on people now more than EVER talking about this game has HORRIBLE FPS issues, and people are losing SR.

Well I guess that is all we can do, is to wait! TY!

1 Like

The lag spikes this patch are insane, I played like 3-4 hours today, I dropped 40-50 frames every 5 or 10 seconds, had frame slowdowns in lucioball during rubberband-ish spikes.

it’s annoying.

1 Like

Yup! The same exact thing is happening to me. Hopefully this gets addressed sooner rather than later.

I just searched, it is being addressed, no ETA, affecting all platforms.

1 Like

Thank you for the links! Glad to know they are working on a fix.