Updates to Hero Pools

How is it ever a good idea to have different competitive rulesets for different tiers of players?

I hope the only reason you guys are still stuck on the idea of Hero Pools is that the time and cost to implement something else before OW2 is too great. Don’t kid yourselves into thinking that this is nothing more than a bandaid fix.

If you spend half the time you’ve taken to implement Hero Pools to instead brainstorm a system for player-picked bans that is suitable for the game, the ranked experience, as well as your multi-million dollar esports scene, would have been in a much better state by now. Your very own OWL stats guy CaptainPlanet literally made a custom workshop game with a basic ban/protect system. Has that even gotten any attention internally? Give players and teams the agency to pick bans such that they are able to play the style that they are the strongest at. That is how you achieve true diversity. What you’re doing now with Hero Pools is forcing everyone to meld into a single playstyle each week, something that is also caused by your inability to uphold your promise of making aggressive balance changes.

5 Likes

That’s the stupidest thing i ever read

6 Likes

I was enjoying hero pools. It meant that dive was actually possible some weeks rather than being forced to play Rein/Zarya every week or get aggro from teammates. Please reconsider for below Masters.

2 Likes

I mean you are already balancing those heroes for OWL and disregarding them for ranked anyway.

3 Likes

Uh oh, the smurfing problem in lower ranks is going to get even worse.
Lower ranks are now going to be filled with masters and GMs avoiding their rank so they can play their favourite hero when they get banned.
Thanks a lot.

6 Likes

That’s an opinion, understandable but I personally think that Master ans GM playing the same kind of games than pros while the others play in a wild mode makes a lot of sense. You reach the serious level of play, you start playing with the full rules. Plus it’s not as if the splitting was that violent to begin with.

You are warned in advance that the both can happen.
In any case, this population is not that populated so their problem won’t happen a lot but:

If you are 3495, either you adapt to the rules of high level and get used to hero pools, either you are not good enough and you lose, keeping your MMR below master.

If you are low master, either you cannot fit in the system and you are sent back to diamond, either you do and start winning enough in places where you play with hero pools 100% of the time.

You have no idea, but you know you are in the grey zone in which both can happen, which is a lot.

2 Likes

Just get to master 5head

2 Likes

When do you plan on doing something about end of season derankers? Or do you not care about that sort of stuff?

3 Likes

Instead of axing all hero pools for metal SRs, how about giving each SR below masters it’s own hero pool based each SR. Hero pools really never reflected lower SRs, therefore they made no sense to low ELO players. Even though lower ELO players can’t even counter normal metas, and the “vast hero composition variety”, it’d be a better addition than axing a system that half worked.

1 Like

While I do see this as a step in the right direction, I feel like might cause more players to play on their alt accounts that is in a lower rank than their main accounts when their mains will be banned.

My birthday is on that day, thanks for my birthday present!

1 Like

finally someone says it lol
I’m being 100% honest but neither doom nor hammond need ‘nerfs’ in regard to power level, but they are probably the two heroes in this game that come closest to making me want to quit playing forever due to how annoying (not difficult/hard) they are to deal with.

3 Likes

can you remove hero pools and resign? thanks

1 Like

And once again, in the same day, blizzard shows they have no idea what their playerbase wants. Good job Dev’s. You have missed literally EVERYTHING.

1 Like

Well, looks like Ill have to get on my diamond acc to escape these accursed bans

2 Likes

Hey Scott (and the Overwatch team). As a low ELO player, this sounds brilliant. Have you considered doing the opposite for role lock: only applying it to ranks below Master and opening up the composition for Master and Grandmaster?

I imagine it’s tricky because you have to queue before you know the average rating of the game but it seems like this would give the high ELO players the creativity that they miss. (Down at my level I don’t want to heal 5 damage players again.)

2 Likes

They are getting rid of hero pools, not role lock.

1 Like

They are not removing 222 from any rank, but metal ranks will not have heroes banned.

1 Like

they should also get rid of role queue

1 Like

How about making Mei into a Tank, so that she can’t be used in OWL to approximate TripleTank.

350 HP, 100SelfHeal, 10sec IceWall

I figure that would be best.

3 Likes