Update on symmetra?

Yasss! I’m so happy, thank you Jeff

4 Likes

Thank you so much daddy Jeff for replying and giving me hope :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Jeff has been killing it with the hero updates. Keep it coming! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’ve been very cynical regarding the future of Symmetra (I was in the megathread for most of its life) and an acknowledgment that she might need new skills rather than just tweaking some numbers is the kind of thing that gives me hope.

Thank you.

6 Likes

Oh thank god. I feared you might just slap a band aid on her, a heavy rework is definitely needed.

5 Likes

Please, don’t remove her autoaim gun, piercing orbs and teleporter. Everything else I can adapt to changes or removals (even the turrets), but those three abilities ARE Symmetra to me. Removing them would be like removing blinks from tracer, wallride from lúcio or turret from torbjorn.

8 Likes

I’m so glad this means it’s more then just number changes! Thank you Jeff, for all your hard work.

On that not, is Photon Barrier in particular being looked at as the ability that gets a change or her ultimates?

2 Likes

i see. i guess it’s another rework. i hope it’s not too big of a rework. honestly for me we just need to rework the barrier into a more flexible utility. tho i’m guess her turrets are going to get changed a bit too.

Thank you for the update, Jeff. I’m glad to hear you’re still working on Doomfist.

Thank you Jeff! :heart:

2 Likes

This concerns me, it implies a change to her abilities =0

1 Like

Please no. so many Sym player don’t want another rework, because she doesn’t need one! her kit is good, you just need to buff the numbers to make it work, at least TRY tweaking her with minor fixes and QoL buffs before you start hacking away at her like you did mercy!

#LeaveSymAlone #Don’tReworkHerAgain

2 Likes

From a sym player, She still feels clunky and owns a kit that fluctuates significantly in power. She’s countered too much for a dps, and a kit that is countered WAY too easily for a supportive dps (look at Zen and Lucio, even being countered, they are never countered as hard as Sym).

That being said, her kit is less clunky than it was at release. The photon shield was an ability with a pretty aesthetic but useless, and her cooldowns were even more frustrating than they currently are. If you didn’t play her at launch, then be happy.

I don’t expect a rework as dramatic as before because her kit is less clunky (but still very much so). Sincea new ability is being added, I expect them to add one, non clunky ability, similar to all the other supports (Moira primary heal meter is backed by her orb, lucio always has wallriding/passive auras when amp it up is down, Mercy always has her heal/damage beam if her team is topped off/taking damage, Ana always has healing/damage outside her utility, etc.)

I don’t think that she needs a complete rework if they plan on adding a downtime ability like the other supports have. Her existing abilities aren’t bad, her kit as a whole is lacking. I don’t expect a rework like Mercy, sombra, or even bastion/hog. There’s not much they can do with her existing abilities. It will probably be closer to Dva, maybe lucio if they’re planning on changing functionality within the kit. Syms kit is made up entirely of cooldowns that are very easily outplayed. I don’t expect them to remove it after the Mercy backlash, we’ll probably just see something added that isn’t so dependent on cooldowns/ ultimate charge.

With DVA having more downtime, they added missles into the rotation. Sym is currently suffering from a lot of downtime in her kit, also, so I suspect that is going to be addressed. They can’t keep deleting and adding abilities in the same hero’s kit.

1 Like

This ^ im ok with a rework unless they remove this, please do not ruin Symmetra’s indentity!

1 Like

symmetra update has me worried. i play her a lot and i like her current kit. i think shes plenty strong as is in defensive situations and im worried i wont like what they do to her :c

4 Likes

Her autoaim gun is why she’s bad, though. It has a short range, has a ramp-up, and is easily counterplayed by any close, mid, or long-range hero who has a functioning right hand.

She sees zero pro play because her skill ceiling extends to “how do I position myself to microwave a push before someone notices me”, has no tools to do this, and has no tools to disengage when her plan fails.

She’s a pubstomper hero who is only useful when enemies are completely disorganized or memeing around, and nearly all of her personal (non-kit) deficiencies are due to her gun having no aim requirement.

8 Likes

Have you ever considered giving a lore reason for a character’s change? That seems like it might be fun.

4 Likes

Pretty rough when someone from Blizz says something will take a significant amount of time.

If soon is 3-4 months, Significant time could be a year.

2 Likes

Don’t worry It will probably take around 2 months like the old rework did.

As much as I like how she currently is, I think it takes a rework to just make people change their perception towards her. I think, right now Symmetra is not that bad that is totally worthless in high rank, it’s just it takes much more coordination and effort that you are better playing other heroes.

Besides, many people consider her “skillless” which is another problem. Tweaking numbers won’t change this perception towards her unless a rework that give her something people would appreciate to. Furthermore, her abilities are not flashy enough for the OWL, which drawns viewers and is a main revenue source for Blizzard.

Thus, in order to change people’s perspective, boost her versatility and make her OWL viable, I understand that it is needed to revamp her. I just hope that the rework, however it will be, would stay intact with her overall playstyle and tactics.

2 Likes