Update for Competitive Play - Season 16

The matchmaker should no longer pair any master or grandmaster in any match with Platinum or lower rankings as that would be out of skill rating variance (grouped up or not). The matchmaker should cancel the queue (after several minutes of searching) if it cannot reasonably find a match for a group of players within the same skill rating.

2 Likes

Did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.

What’s the point of having a overwatch league with professionals in teams of 6 when you restrict players from playing 6 stacks. What are you thinking your league is a joke now.
(Here’s an idea for your new overwatch league
you can have groups of 2 pro players que in matchmaking randomly with the rest of us sound good?)

1 Like

Back in the day (like before Season 4) it would put a group stack of grandmasters against group stacks of Platinums in low populated regions at low peak times. This allowed players to badly inflate their ratings to Grandmasters and not actually be able to perform at that comparative level. This was referred to as the “Brazilian Matchmaking Incident”. The rules were changed in Season 4 because of this. In addition, in Season 8 matchmaking was further restricted to only allow matches within the same skill rating variences as the group up restrictions.

1 Like

Professional Play and Competitive Mode are very different. Competitive Mode is an open ladder where ANYONE can participate in, and they have to make careful decisions to provide matches for everyone, from my perspective its either make teams and groups the preferred way to the play or make it accommodating more the solo queue style. I feel your frustration and I do want to see more in their logic and reasoning for why they are pushing more toward the solo queue style (see my post above). However, you should not refer to Competitive as a refection to that of pro play. If you are interested in participating in organized tournament play, consider looking into the Overwatch Open Division.

This is good and all but what about the rest of the playerbase? You know… the other 99%?

Can we get comp changes that affects more players? There have been major exploits in the ranking system for years.

2 Likes

Makes no difference for me now that I dropped back to master, and I soloq anyway. But it’s still nice for when/if I get back to GM eventually.

Okay that I would understand but still, I really don’t think this is a issue and if they really wanted to they can just design the match maker to cancel the que since it can’t find a team with equal skill rating or close to one

to do something for low ranks you need to change the players, hard to do as a game dev not being a deity

and believe it or not, the matches are fair, and no algorithm on the world can predict the daily form of inconsistent players, it can just estimate an average performance and act as if those players are that average. which over more than one game is true

and actually that would matter if you only ever played people once, but when queuing consecutively you get most players for multiple matches, often you play against and with them

1 Like

It’s almost as if Grandmaster players smurfing in lower ranks is a desirable behavior from Blizzard’s POV for some reason.

If they can’t group up more than a two stack in GM, they’ll just hop on their lower ranked smr… sorry, “alt” accounts and do it, ruining those lower ranked games in the process

Does anything you guys do ever consider us plebian, non-GM, non-pro players?

This needs to be in EVERY comp rank. It’s SO hard to win when you’r a 2 stack fighting a 5 or 6 stack. Group queues should be matched with equal-sized ones.

3 Likes

you need to make the 2 stack max for all ranks. 3 stacks just ruin the game

3 Likes

why dont you also disable Comp group up in diamond if the player level is lower then 100?

I’d love to see this implemented in ALL ranks… but if that were to happen I’d also like to see a seperate queue and separate leaderboards for 3+ groups in competitive so that people still CAN 3+ stack if they’d like, but they aren’t put into the regular pool of players.

Here’s a better idea? FIX the god damn system first. You force sub-diamond players based on some stupid “personal score” instead of win/loss. Do you have ANY idea how much this screws over Healers and Tanks? This is why no one plays them: They are U N R E W A R D I N G.

All you seem to do is focus on the 1% of the population in ranked. What happens when more and more players leave because they’re sick of it? Smurfs are only going to boost your “active account numbers” so far until it’s just smurfs, at which point they’re no longer smurfs.

EDIT: This is also why so many big OW Twitch streamers have since quit, like Moon2.

2 Likes

Agreed. Most of the recent updates to Competitive Play seem to have mostly been of benefit to the minority of players in the high end ranks. I guess they are more important as they effectively promote the game on streams, streams which many watch as they are in high ranks or doing these pathetic bronze to GM runs that just skew matchmaking for others.

1 Like

Can we please get a wayyyy better fix then go play by yourself or code it urself for fair matches… just wow

Masters shouldn’t be 3-6 stacking either in my honest opinion.

No, let my 6-Stack fight against another 6-stack please. This feature is taking away from a core part of the game - teamplay. While I completely get it fir GM and also agree with this decision, other ranks have large enough playerbases to play in a team with people you know.

2 Likes

The majority of six-stacking is used for boosting or downranking. There are very few teams of five or six in all of ladder that are playing for the true competitive team play.

Grouping should be in it’s own separate ladder. As a person who plays mostly solo in ladder there is no fun going up against a 4, 5, or six stack.