Update for Competitive Play - Season 16

Hello everyone!

Starting with Season 16 of Competitive Play, Grandmaster players (players with SR >4000) will no longer be able to queue for competitive matches in a party size larger than two. In an effort to have higher quality and more fun matches for everyone, Overwatch actively tries to place parties of similar sizes together to create fair matches. For the vast majority of players this feature of the matchmaking system works reasonably well. For our Grandmaster players, making fair matches is always more difficult simply because there are fewer players of their skill level to place together. It’s even harder if we allow Grandmasters to queue with larger groups. We believe this change will help create better quality matches for all Grandmaster players.

Thank you and please continue to share your feedback about Competitive Play!

119 Likes

Thank you… I love this so much and I love all of you

18 Likes

Blizzard listened FeelsGoodMan

34 Likes

No more abusing 3+ stacks to top 10 (or just higher sr) <o/

13 Likes

Xbox is such a small community that the EU region has masters in top 500 (#500 is 3750 atm). So this should also be implemented for master players at least on Xbox.

25 Likes

It has nothing to do with not having friends, it’s healthy for game quality ;PP

This won’t effect you in any way though, keep stacking you’re fine :]

14 Likes

i love you jeff and scott mercer chan.

34 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to just have solo queue and group queue separated?

36 Likes

I can’t imagine anyone who plays the game who says 6 stacks>solo queue in GM… The queue times are long enough as is, I’m just so happy that this is a thing now.

(Also decay doesn’t show on your profile until you play again)

3 Likes

I would love this change for every rank.

15 Likes

Can you lower the SR gap in all ranks. 1000 is far too big a gap.

27 Likes

Thank you! Actually Pog news

About time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would actually help the overall game as the large groups would move to quick play, so we could see qp become more like comp and less like a free for all with some real comps being played.

1 Like

Im hoping this is indeed a step towards entirely separate soloq and 6-stack-only teamq variants of competitive.

1 Like

The flaw is that often those games get some freaky teams. like i have seen high master players in a team with 3 stack top 500/high grandmasters.

Well, i just enjoy playing the game with my friends, more than with strangers not communicating or playing sym with a diamond gamesense on it. Is that such a bad thing ?
This means there will be more and more smurfing because gm wont be able to play together.
And i would be ok with this changement if we had a team queue system, but they don’t seem to care at all. Let me enjoy the game with my friends, thats all im asking for.
(ikr i did 3 games)

6 Likes

This doesn’t effect me in the slightest but I’m glad to see this change, I’m sure all the GM players will be grateful. I can’t imagine waiting longer than 3 minutes for a queue.

Don’t tell me to swap off Widow,
Coolbreeze

3 Likes

My avg when I hit near my peak is like ~7+ :[

I’m very grateful

2 Likes