[Update: Fix for all platforms is out] FPS drops after 1.38.0.2 update | Main tracking thread

Mentioned it a couple of posts earlier.

I’m not going to do Sherlock Holmes work anymore if I’m 100% certain not having changed anything.

Again I can only tell it from my perspective.

Other people might experience it differently.

So in this case I’ve just been waiting for them to do their part of work in the support department.

It’s most reasonable that it’s the patch itself when games went good without any issue and 5 mins later after having installed it, the mess starts.

Please post again updating us when the fixes will come for each platform, only when you know for sure. Its kinda tough on console because if it comes monday idk if I and others will still get reaper skin.

First 2-3 games are fine but then game starts dropping frames and freezing everytime someone uses the comm wheel (hello, understood, thanks, group up, ask 4 heals, ult charge) and its unplayable.

PS- going to the menu also freezes the screen. the menu where it has “career profile” “options” “leave game” all that stuff.

700 Mb Fix works fine on my potato PC: i7 3770, DDR3 16Gb, GTX 950 2Gb, Win 10 Home / 1809.

1 Like

evidently their “approval process” sets pretty low standards for approval, if stuff like this is approved… and not to mention all of the other games that make it onto consoles in varying states of brokenness

1 Like

That’s not a potato, simply upgrade your GPU and you could easily squeeze a few more years out of that for most games.

When someone says they have a “potato” they generally mean they’re running something like an pre-Haswell i3 on integrated graphics, or some kind of AMD “A-Series” APU, (or worse) lol

Hey everyone, for PC players who are still experiencing an issue please double check that your Overwatch client has updated to the fixed version. You can do this by looking next to the Play button in the Blizzard Desktop app, the fixed version is 1.38.0.2.60417.

I checked our debug data for a few people in this thread who were reporting problems still and in every case they were still on the previous unpatched version.

This isn’t a forced update so it can take a bit for the Blizzard launcher to notice that you need to patch. If you want to ensure you’ve updated you can check for a new version via the “Options” menu in the launcher.

If you’re having performance issues that are not specifically related to the communication wheel / chat box - please make a separate thread. Any posts in this thread that are not related to this issue are likely to be missed.

For console players, details aren’t finalized yet, but we’re expecting the update to go out today for both platforms. We’ll post once it’s live.

15 Likes

Hey nice! Thanks for keeping us updated.

I thought it was fixed last night after I got the patch (I’m on PC) and after an hour or so the really bad stutters started happening just as they did before. Whenever anything happened in the chat box on the left side of the screen, I would start losing frames. It started low with about 30 frames lost about 30 minutes into playing, but then I was getting 100+ fps drop stutters shortly after that. It seems to be better, but after a long enough time the really bad stutters absolutely reappear.

The thing is, it doesn’t take an hour even for the smaller more unnoticeable FPS drops to start happening so I think for people with a good enough PC it’s unnoticeable. I have a 144hz monitor and I cap it at 210fps so when it drops only 30-40 frames it isn’t as noticeable as 100+ fps drop stutters that happened after an hour or so, but I absolutely noticed my frames dipping by 30-40 from playing for maybe 20-30 minutes and it was only when someone used the communication wheel, typed in match chat, or joined/left a match.

I’m on an i5 3570k, gtx 1070, 16gb ddr3-1600 ram, playing the game on an Evo 512 SSD.

Wow, people, congrats. Crying about issue still on old version, when new update is out.

And i was thinking this update didn’t resolve issue. Thanks for proving i was wrong.

1 Like

Well i still having the stuttering and frame drops when some1 use the chat and my game is in that version so it seems that ur joking.

1 Like

I’m still having issues as well. I created a separate post for it though since it must not have to do with the fix.

I still have problem with game lagging regarding the chat problem and I was playing lucio ball when lag happened and my ms counter jump from 50 to 250 and I lost chat feed completely. Sorry for my bad English.

Hey folks, the console release is now also live. Have a great weekend everyone.

14 Likes

Yay no more play 2-games-close-reopen

Tested. Works fine so far nice and smooth again thanks

I got the fix on PS4 just now…

Just updated, but the problem seems worse now.
Before I could play one or two games before I started to get disconnected.
Now it starts with the first game and I even have to enter all my login credentials each time.
(PC btw).

happy to hear it’s been pushed out to consoles. The game was nearly unplayable last night

1 Like

@SuZu

Hey there, I think you may have another problem that’s unrelated to this thread. This thread is tracking fps issue (graphics performance). I looked briefly at your debug data and I can see you have high packet loss to the Overwatch servers. I also quickly compared your data to other players using your same ISP and in the same region as you and I think the problems seem specific to you.

If you’re able to create a separate thread in this forum our tech CS folks can help further.

8 Likes

Okay,
thanks a lot !

FYI: Despite the fact that the client said I have the update already installed (version 1.38.0.2.60417 in the battlenet client) I still had frame drops (even in the training range).

First I restarted my machine, checked for CPU consuming processes, etc.
I’ve also updated my graphics card driver and rebooted. Still no luck.

Then I just used the “scan and repair” option in the battlenet client and the client reported that there was something to repair and now the issues seems to be gone.

tl;dr: scan and repair

2 Likes