Upcoming Balance Changes for Support Heroes

(Geoff Goodman) #1

In the next patch we’re reviewing the current state of support heroes and are making some changes to nearly all of them to keep them competitive with each other. I’ll start by just listing the changes below:

Ana

• Nano Boost additionally heals the target instantly for 300 HP.

Brigitte

• Shield Bash cooldown increased from 6 to 7 seconds.

Lúcio

• Sound Barrier effect increased 50% from 500 to 750 shields.
  • Crossfade aura radius increased 20% from 10m to 12m.

Mercy

• Primary fire healing beam reduced 17% from 60 HP/s to 50 HP/s.

Moira

• Healing resource base regen rate increased 20%.

Now that all the changes are listed, I’ll go through each hero and talk a bit about the goals of these changes and our current views on each support hero in general.

Ana

Ana has a very strong and unique toolbox, with the potential to dish out more healing than any other hero in the game. That said, she has a couple disadvantages that can be difficult to overcome, such the potential to miss your targets, not having any mobility options, and having a more difficult time keeping herself healed up. Her ultimate can be very powerful but often feels like it can be difficult to use effectively unless it is used in combination with other allied ultimates such as Genji’s Dragonblade. This new change allows Ana to use her ultimate as a clutch save on a dying teammate, or even use it in combination with her Biotic Grenade for a huge instant heal on even the biggest of tank health pools.

Brigitte

Shield Bash is Brigitte’s strongest ability, and its short cooldown makes it very difficult to play around. We’d like to keep her Shield Bash and subsequent melee combos powerful and effective, while just allowing a little more counter-play against it. We’ve talked about possibly reducing her defense somewhere, such as reducing her barrier health. However, her tank-hybrid nature is a core part of her kit and we want to make sure she maintains that feeling of being a difficult target to take down. Overall Brigitte’s win rate is still the highest of any support, despite dishing out the lowest amount of raw healing per second. This speaks volumes to how powerful her kit can be outside of her direct healing numbers.

Lúcio

Lucio’s Crossfade aura can be an invaluable addition for any team, but it can sometimes be difficult to keep your whole team boosted. We’re increasing the radius of Lucio’s Crossfade aura to allow more flexibility in how he moves while still maintaining his powerful support songs to help out his team. His ultimate is also being increased to help counter large spikes of damage. For example, Junkrat’s ultimate can deal a maximum of 600 damage, which Sound Barrier can now potentially negate completely. It is worth noting that even though the initial shield he provides is larger, it still takes the same amount of time to destroy itself.

Mercy

Mercy is intended to be able to consistently pump out more healing than any other healer over the course of a match. While this is currently true, the difference in healing is so significant that it makes it very difficult for other healers to compete with her for a spot on a team. Reducing her healing output will close this gap a little, but she will still maintain her status as the go-to pick for raw healing power. We’ll keep an eye on her to make sure she is still a strong pick.

Moira

Moira is a strong hero that doesn’t need a ton of changes. The resource change her is mostly to help her out in the situations where you’re just not able to get close enough the enemy to drain them for resources. Now if you’re team is sparring with the enemy team at super long ranges, you’ll have a bit more resources to work with to keep your team topped off.

Zenyatta

We aren’t making any changes to Zen right now, as we feel he is in a pretty good spot. He is doing his job well as a hybrid damage/healer and being able to provide discord orb for your team will always be welcome.

These changes are coming to the PTR very soon. We’re always looking at our stats, gathering feedback and playing the game to make sure we keep all the heroes viable. We will have time to watch and iterate on these changes throughout this PTR cycle, so please play and give feedback!

Extremely concerned about Ana changes
Rest in peace mercy
Mercy&brigitte nerf; ana,lucio&moira buff
Extremely concerned about Ana changes
[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018
Pls mercy mains... don't
Rest in peace mercy
Brigitte Shield Bash Nerf is a MUST
Yet ANOTHER indirect nerf to Pharah
Sups are balanced with a single patch
That Ana "Buff" is a slap in the face
My opinion on the changes:
Can we just revert Mercy already?
Brigette is actually blatantly overpowered by the way
The Mercy Nerf is an Indirect Nerf to Every Hero 💔
Does lucio counter dva self destruct now?
“Mercy is fine”
Ana doesn't do 75hps
OW Team, what are you even doing?
Mercy Nerf; explanation please?
Let's start the Clock: Mercy
The new mercy nerf
RIP Ana (Really frustrated at the neglect)
New ana changes
Just revert Mercy
Finally some buffs for Lucio!
Mercy is going to be useless
It's happening: Mercy is being Reverted
Can we stop pretending zenyatta is fine?
Ana? Main healer? NEVER
It amazes me how the devs balancing decisions can be sometimes spot on or completely off track
Brigitte’s shield bash from 5s to 7s
What version of mercy are we on?
This is the wrong Mercy nerf
Do NOT buff Moira please
Brigette is actually blatantly overpowered by the way
Opinions on support changes
Blizz are you ok?
Blizz are you ok?
Ding Dong, the Witch Is Dead!
How would you buff Lucio
Was there a support change to the PTR?
The funny part is that Mercy will still be the best support
13 nerfs aint "in a good spot"
The Mercy Nerf is an Indirect Nerf to Every Hero 💔
What happened between then and now?
How will the Mercy nerf afffect YOU?
It's happening: Mercy is being Reverted
My View On The Support Changes
FINALLY! Balance choices in the RIGHT direction!
When mercy was finally perfect they ruined it
We are on nerf number 10 people!
My View On The Support Changes
Rest in peace mercy
Why you favor mercy so much?
The Cycle Has Been Fed
50 hp/s Mercy is still very good
Zenyatta QOL request: apply Harmony and Discord orbs while charging secondary attack
Best update so far?
Brigitte doesn't need any more nerfs
The Fault in the Recent Mercy Nerf
Mercy at 50hps is not a main healer
Mercy at 50hps is not a main healer
So brigettes sheild health is the next nerf?
Mercy doublethink
The most important hero in the game
Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State
Nerf Brigette already
Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State
Sombra Versus Tracer 👯‍♀️
Could we lower Brig's shield health?
According to my research....[Brigitte discussion]
2 Balance Suggestions: [1. Mercy Nerf improvement], [2. Zenyatta Nerf]
Please stop complain about Brigette
If Ana Fails...Again
Brigitte still isn't balanced
I believe Ana is being mentally killed off
Please explain Brigitte to us
The range on brig's stun is still crazy OP
So I took winrates - Possible hero changes
“If we tone her down too much, we will bring her back”
Stop nerfing mercy
How much is the OW team actually listening?
To Everyone Complaining About the Mercy Nerfs
[Feedback Thread Continued Part IV] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018
What is this about nerfs and buffs?
Why Do You Have A Backbone For The Wrong Reasons? [MEGA-THREAD] (Updated 7/20/18)
The Right Choice?
Marcy will remain a must pick even with 30hp/s. But we will see TRIPLE SUPPORT
An idea on how brig can be more easily dealt with
Zen next, or are we just gonna ignome that
(Idea) Mercy beam to a Zarya beam
Ana should heal more than Mercy
I'm a die-hard Mercy main, will never stop playing her
You're all missing the most important support buff
TONS of Support Hero Changes! What's Going to Happen Now?
(Molly Fender) #2

No change to cast time on Lucios Ult?

Upping the shields is an interesting way around that as it means the timing won’t need to be as exact to counter a tire. But it still leaves him pretty vulnerable to being interrupted.

I don’t know if an extra 2 meters on his aura will make that much of a difference. I was hoping for 15 meters.

Yay Mercy nerf. I’m sure the Mercy mains will be super happy about that lol.

I actually love these changes!

Nice!

Don’t over buff all the other supports and nerf Mercy and Brigitte a bit.

Step in the right direction.

Pogchamp Mercy is back to 50hp/s

Least the other supports got buffs, but really only healing nerf for mercy?? Thought u would gut her GA as well. Maybe that’ll be the next mercy nerf if these don’t fix the problems.

Thanks for the update!

Lucio buffs!

Top kek I totally haven’t seen this said before.

So wait, this is okay to do with her ultimate, but not okay with her primary fire?

This is exactly what I (and many others) did with pre-healing shots (no teammate penetration)… then you changed it.

And now you’re painting it as if she had a wonderful “strong” kit all along, when this change severely nerfed her healing output by making it purely reactionary instead of pre-emptive. She can’t pocket heal anymore, and now you’re giving her a back a “clutch” save single-cast pocket on something that only comes up once every 90-120 seconds, instead of it being a main part of her kit. Why?

She’s in a bad spot specifically because penetration replaced pre-healing… she can’t utilize her heal over time properly anymore. Why can’t she just have both penetration and pre-healing, and switch between the two with Interact?

Then we wouldn’t even need this ultimate change… (not that it wouldn’t be appreciated, but you could just use primary fire instead) and leave the instant healing as Brigitte’s niche. We could actually see a Brig + Ana support comp, instead of Mercy + Brig or Mercy + Moira.

No changes to Resurrect or Valkyrie? Is Blizzard always this ignorant? [Dont ban me] :slight_smile:

I really wanted the speed boost back but I’ll take it, definitely. I am also very glad that you guys don’t forget or ignore Ana. It’s so frustrating to see a popular hero like Ana not being played or performing poorly against other support heroes. Furthermore, the other changes also look very good and I am quite excited to see them in the game!

Hooray! Mercy’s 10th nerf!!! We did it, lads!!! She’s balanced now!!! :champagne: :wine_glass: : :confetti_ball:

:/ Now can we finally acknowledge that Mercy will still be a must pick because her Rez is still on a cooldown?

For a more serious and level-headed response, seriously? Nerfing Mercy’s healing output won’t change a thing. Resurrect on a cooldown is the reason she is picked, because being able to undo a single critical pick is too valuable. THAT is why Mercy is OP and a must-pick. She CAN’T remain in this state.

Mercy’s healing nerf will change the secondary support slot more than it’s gonna change the main support slot. With Mercy having lower healing numbers, it’ll be harder to justify Zenyatta’s low healing so either triple support will become more common or Moira/Lucio/Ana might be used instead of Zen

I am kinda surprised mercy was not nerfed more, considering how dominant she is at the moment.
My proposal is to also make her ressurect only useable in valkyrie, but then again she will not have an E ability outside ult.

These changes are actually perfect!
although nano usage will take some re-learning,its no big deal.
thanks!

Yeah. She needed a tweak to Rez or Valk. The healing nerf is going the wrong direction

That is one of the finest memes I have ever had the pleasure of perusing :face_with_monocle: