Unpopular opinion: Mercy nerf is fine

You can’t say that someone’s pickrate is x% when you only have stats of less than half of the community. Obviously in some cases such as the making of medicine, you don’t need the majority of humans to test it to conclude that it works.

I agree with you OP, I think this nerf works out fine for her!

As it stands, every healer has three factors to consider: healing output, ease of use, and utility. Most healers had just two of these, but Mercy had all three!

Ana — very high utility and healing output, but low ease of use
Brigitte — high utility with CC, very easy to use, but low healing output
Lucio — very easy to use and high utility with speed boost, low healing output
Moira — high healing output, easy to use, but low utility (can only damage and heal)
Zenyatta — high utility with Discord orb and quite easy to use (in terms of healing), but low healing output

Now, Mercy had very high healing output, was very easy to play effectively, and had tremendous utility in the form of Resurrect!

Mercy was a must-pick, so the devs had to nerf one of these three areas. They could have nerfed Res (utility), but instead nerfed her healing output.

Which is fine!

So now, instead of being an easy-to-use healer with great healing and utility, she’s now an easy-to-use healer with great utility and okay healing :slight_smile: If she’s still too strong, the devs can nerf her once again.

For now, I’m willing to wait and see if the other healers will become more viable

You can be pretty certain that the overall trend is shaped in that direction though.

And besides which, that’s still way better than going off of purely anecdote.

Look at Mercy mains. Every single nerf on Valk was treated as if she was going into F-tier.

If the statistics are off less than half of the Overwatch community, you can’t be certain if the trend will be the same.

You just admitted above you don’t know how statistics work.

Now you’re an authority on sampling sizes and confidence levels?

1 Like

yeah the problem is the player base doesn’t want her hps to be the one nerfed. they’d rather have rez reworked. players play mercy for her core gameplay (meaning sans abilities) which is high consistent healing. mercy players have been saying that rez on cd is going to be too difficult to balance it, cause it’s too powerful. it still isn’t balanced. nerfing her hps means that mercy is going to have to rely on rez more. with her hps nerfed, her healing is going to be outdamaged more. meaning her teammates are going to die more. so we’re back to square one on her relying on rez. and a lot of mercy players dislike using rez because you pretty much get to be a sitting duck for ~2 seconds.

your points are valid, and on paper it does make sense. except that’s not how her player base wants her to be changed, it’s not the way her player base wants her to be played. we want to keep the team alive as much as possible, not having to keep bringing them back to the death cause of lower hps

1 Like

The main reason mercy is getting nerfed is because if the other team has a competent mercy and yours has no mercy, you notice it, alot.
If you throw every other healer ability out the window and just look at all of thier heal utilities mercys outshines everyone else by a land slide. Her heal is a lock on whereas you have to aim moiras heal, zens heal is a lock on but heals nowhere near as good as mercy. The only nerfs mercy should have ever got was to her healing ability

A flat 17% nerf on your primary function is no where near a small nerf. For any damage character, this would be beyond insane.

2 Likes

Umm no? I simply said that I didn’t study statistics. Also, you don’t need to study something to say something about it e.g: you don’t need to have a degree in art to know that a paining is ugly.

T o g g l e
E x i s t s

wait people actually use toggle? idk probably just not my playstyle since i like to quickly change targets and toggle just seems like an extra button press to me xD

1 Like

Opinion: Her nerf is fine. However, that won’t fix the problem. Her problem is resurrect. You can’t change my mind.

1 Like

A rez that happens on average 6 times per game with a 1.75 second cast time and an immobile Mercy,

is way more balanced than a rez that happens 10 times per game, with an instant cast.

1 Like

You’r right, but it’s still kind of annoying to play against. (Coming from a Mercy player with 200 hours on her :p)

Mercy complain was not about her healing … so how can you say that her nerf is fine ?

As usualy blizzard don’t understand.

i agree with pengo and i agree with you
id rather they just rework/remove rez and tie it to the ultimate rather than have her hps nerfed :confused:

You going to stay silent there? You’re getting tons of responses. With a name like that, one might mistake this for a troll thread.

the nerf doesn’t fix anything that was wrong with her or made her a must pick.

That nerf is not going to change how boring she is.

Hopefully this change will make her less of a must pick, I find her absolutely soul destroying to play I feel sorry for the off meta support mains that get forced into playing her.

3 Likes

^^^^^ This!
But not only that, people already pick dps over tanking and both over healing why WOULDN’T you try to give an increase in healing to the other healers while keeping (after the 10th time) the most played healer about the same?

1 Like