Unplayable FPS on GTX 1060 Laptop

I tried playing Overwatch this weekend for the first time in a few months and, after the background of the main menu loads the character animation, my FPS drops to between 4 and 8 FPS (FPS appears to be around 60-70 for the few seconds prior to the background loading). I tried starting a training match and joining a quick play match and the FPS remained the same. I previously experienced no issues with the game.

Here are my UserBenchmark results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 60%, Desk 65%, Work 53%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ - 74.6%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 (Mobile) - 62.1%
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 - 8.3%
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB - 189.7%
SSD: Crucial MX300 SATA M.2 525GB - 85.6%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 2400 C16 2x16GB - 82.5%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-P65

I used GeForce Experience to optimize my graphics settings (mix of high and ultra). Starcraft 2, Battlefront 2, and PUBG all run fine on my system (PUBG has intermittent FPS drops, but I think that’s a PUBG issue).

MSI Afterburner shows my CPU temp as increasing from 45 to 55 Celsius just from opening the game, messing around in the options, and entering a quick play lobby for a minute or two.

EDIT: I’ve also already disabled fullscreen optimizations for the Overwatch executable file and have reinstalled the game. Windows 10 is fully updated and nvidia and hard drive drivers are up to date.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 Likes

Just to make sure, have you checked the NVidia control panel to make sure Ovewatch is running off the Graphics Card and not the Intel Graphics Chipset?

EDIT: Although at first I thought this worked, I’m now realizing maybe the only thing that changed was I reset my game settings, which defaulted me down to low graphics (where I was able to play a game with 30-40 FPS). When I go back to the nvidia optimized settings (mix of high and ultra), I’m back down to below 10 fps. So maybe it wasn’t using the wrong graphics card. Maybe the answer is I just need to play on low, but that seems surprising to me, given its a GTX 1060. Also, so far as I can recall, I did not previously have to play on low in order to get playable FPS.

I get about 200 fps with my laptop grade 1060, there’s definitely something wrong with what you’re doing here.

Yeah just not sure what it could be. As I said, Starcraft 2, Battlefront 2, and PUBG all work well on higher graphics settings, so it seems to be Overwatch specific. I don’t even really know where to go from here.

same problem a 1060 with a i7 should be fine to play this funny thing is i can play destiny 2 no problem and this has only been a problem since the last update

So maybe it’s just an update thing? Is there any way to submit my issues directly to Blizzard to get an official response, or is this the official channel?

@Dano
There is the option of submitting a ticket here if you were looking for a guaranteed response.

As far as the issue goes though, could you post a DxDiag report? Along with that, do you have the link to your previous UserBenchmark results?

@zhyxen, thank you for the response!

Here is a link to userbenchmark results I just received (with a space before “com” because it won’t let me post links): userbenchmark. com/UserRun/9653822.

Here is a link to my DxDiag report (again with a space before “com”): drive.google. com/open?id=12AgslrkkhWI7VUFp3P6CE1xhiQ2qxPIC.

I just checked again and the problem is still occurring.

Would you be able to disconnect the Acer montior and give the game another try?

Unplugging the Acer monitor appears to fix the problem (70 fps on epic settings), but does this mean I just can’t play above low settings at 30-40 fps on my monitor? Is there anything I can do to fix this (HDMI out to DVI in if that’s helpful)? As I’ve said, I play numerous other AAA titles, each with good FPS on this monitor. Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: I’m seeing some other threads indicating this may be related to playing in windowed mode. I’ve been playing in windowed borderless because, when I set it to full screen, no matter which monitor I select in the options the game stays on my laptop screen. This is a problem I specifically don’t recall encountering when I played a few months ago (i.e., I was able to play full screen mode on my monitor).

EDIT 2: After fiddling around with the settings I was able to get full screen mode working on my monitor and now everything is working properly. Thanks for the help!

i get a solid 60 fps on my 1060 laptop and a solid 77 degrees c maybe its your tempurature try optimizing your pc also cause when my fan was broken i had over 90 degrees c and i had bad 30 frames and even at 30 its looked like 10

The person you are replying to may have already moved on to a different game or isn’t even expecting an answer after so long with the thread having been created 11 months prior to your post. Note that the search on this forum shows relevant threads/posts by default when you use search for topics but that can result in seeing older and inactive threads at the top of the search results.