Understanding the SR system

There is something about competitive that really bugs me and it’s the SR gaining system.
Ok, the Skill Rating is a numerical way of measuring your performance in the game, right? And it kinda works! I mean… the average GM player is more skilled than the average plat player.

However, in my opinion there is room to improve.
The current system gives you +/- SR considering:

1. If you win/lose.
  2. If your team had more chances to win.
  3. And… that’s pretty much everything.

Of course is frustrating if you have a really good performance and your team not, or if the other team was full of smurfs or if just your playstyle just doesn’t match your teammates, etc. But we can not complain, the system has it’s own limitations and a computer can not really know if you deserved that SR loss/win.

Well, actually it can.
The SR is numerical way of measuring.

Numerical

And Overwatch has something really important about numbers. It has real-time stats. You just need to go to Overbuff and see your performance in a numerical way.
You can see in which percentile you are! That’s awesome!
And yet something like that, something like an objective numerical rating of your performance is NOT used in the SR calculations.

Why?!

Why a player (Not my case, a friend’s) who is TOP 900 with Winston, and moves between percentile 80/90 on almost every stat with 10 heroes is unable to get out of Plat?

This is, again, just my opinion, but making the SR depend on your team and not your performance is what leads to frustration, rage and spam.

Blizzard has the tools to change that, to make the SR rating to depend on your own personal performance (Of course the result of the combat should always have an impact on the SR win/lose) and not on your team of randoms.

And yet, they don’t use that tools.

Why?

1 Like

PBSR post diamond

20char

because Bliz knows their pbsr system is garbage and can’t accurately distinguish skills and stats that corrilate to winning the game.

See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 13) → performance modifier. In short, there is a small performance modifier in plat and below. It was removed above plat to prevent stat chasing as opposed to playing to win.

1 Like

What does it means? o.o

Performance Based Skill Rating. So your personal thing instead of the team’s effort.

These stat sites are often very misleading. Getting good stats is far harder in say GM than in platinum so the 2 cannot really be compared.

If your friend would play in higher ranks his winston would get far worse stats. <- This is also the reason why Blizzard dont use those to directly place people.

If for example I were somehow able to only play in bronze, I would be the #1 soldier on overbuff in no time.

1 Like

I dind’t know that the ranking in Overbuff was splitted by rank.

No sorry I might not have been clear. Overbuff doesn’t split by rank, if it did it would actually be far better.

1 Like