Tracer is, infact, still gay in China, so is S76

It kind of sounds like they retracted her sexuality. Which really is essentially making her striaght officially anyway.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard about the arresting webcomic author part, but I did heard about a writer got arrested but people says it’s not due to LGBTQ content, though honestly I don’t know. For the other parts… Sadly it’s true, the censorship is very harsh on comics and TV shows these years. At least novel haven’t got censored yet.:expressionless:

1 Like

I only heard about that as rumors but one of the authors posted on their Twitter about how scared they were because of the chances of getting cought and “punished” for using a VPN and making pro LGBT content.
All that really sucks:(

Personally I don’t think not confirming a character’s sexuality would make her default straight, especially not when a big part of community already know she’s gay and the comic was took down for censorship reason. Though I do see you point. Maybe they could release another novel that mention about Tracer and her girlfriend, since at least LGBTQ is still allowed to appear in literature (I already feel said just by typing this :sob:).

really sucks indeed. All the censorship really makes me sad. They could make inappropriate joke about gay people on TV show, but if you have two guys holding hands? :zipper_mouth_face: On the bright side there are still people in the government advocate for LGBTQ right, I was so happy when I heard about Beijing passed mutual guardianship for gay couple this Summer cuz after that whole censorship thing the government rarely mentioned anything about LGBTQ stuff at all, and the first major thing I heard was good news. Hopefully more city will look up to Beijing (at least in LGBTQ matter).

1 Like

No, that’s not how that works. It would make her sexuality “Unknown” since it wouldn’t be stated.

Straight isn’t the default if you don’t know their sexuality.

4 Likes

Thats true from a progressive view.

1 Like

2 Likes

What about Russia?

Would’ve thought democracy was censored in China.

Russian version wasn’t translated. So fans had to translate it.

1 Like

Do people in China think that turning S76 gay was a pandering marketing ploy, the same as those outside China view that story?

Upvoted for the factchecking. Factchecking = good. Baseless rumors = bad.

3 Likes

No, its true from a logical point of view.

If you don’t know a person’s sexuality the default is… that you don’t know.

1 Like

no, its just…you dont make assumptions

1 Like

yup…which is why you dont know the flavor of a new food until you eat it, though you should eat people…maybe

1 Like

Yes logical view is also true. From the anti lgbt view of the CCP the default is most likely straight.

1 Like

The guy who posted that was just mad about China and he had no evidence whatever.

I don’t think it deserved a thread just for that.

So far has more likes than this post, I think this post help to prevent things lke this.

It has nothing to do with good and evil but what is appropriate to be shown to children and what not.

If the Internet showed me anything, it’s how quickly irrational, angry, bandwagon mobs can form and feed their own hunger for self-righteous power with a feedback loop of rumor, speculation and bitter commiseration.

Thank you for this enlightening post. I hope those who were blindly fanning the flames of misguided hate see this post and stop for a moment of contrition and reflection.

2 Likes

To be fair rhis post is slightly inaccurate as well. Blizzard officially retracting the comic is in essence retracting tracer’s sexuality. This means officially in china her sexuality is not in fact gay but unknown at best.

1 Like