Top 500 in Mid Gold Games?

So doing my placments for Comp DM today, when I noticed a Top500 Icon. Sure enough, when I looked at the guys profiles, he had not had a SR lower than 4k in over 9 season. His current SR was 4330, and had a Top 500 Icon. Now, obviously he won the match, and destroyed us all. I think he may have died twice… but how in the hell did he manage to que with us golds/plats.

imgur . com/Y0zGkIi
(it wont let me post links)

Maybe its his/her first time doing Comp DM placements? If so, then that’s what going to happen if a full comp sr reset. A whole mix of differently ranked players in a single game. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was even a master in the mix.

1 Like

FFA DM was a SR reset last year. This is what you get when you have an SR reset.

1 Like

Ah yes, an SR system so accurate that a person can go from being Top500 once upon a time, to gold, because apparently they lost all skill overnight.

This is why the SR system should have a floor, and drastically reduced gain/loss rates. Floor the SR a person can fall to -100 from their peak, and change SR gains/losses to <+/-5SR/game. If you honestly believ ea person who once played at say… 3900 should be playing amongst 1800s, man, you have no idea about the disparity of player skill in this game.

He just told you… This will happen if you have mmr/sr reset.

Doesnt matter if he was top500, his account is considered as new one after mmr/sr reset. So he will be playing 1 or 2 games in gold range probably.

2 Likes

Each game mode has a different SR / MMR.

That’s… unfortunate to say the least (for you, for them, and for everyone else in the game not at their level). Can’t say I’m too surprised though: there’s probably not a lot of people playing competitive DM (meaning there’s even less people at GM level actively playing), so the MMR probably just tried to throw that player in any game it could find.

I honestly imagine that that top 500 player probably had to wait a really long time to get into a DM game actually.

Jup, I got the exact same. I placed mid plat I think