Tips for a Rein player

Aways being a Mercy main and don’t really know if I want to change that, but Rein is my second most played hero and I would really like to get some tips on how to improve with him pretty much because:
A. I aways fell like my shield is melting so fast;
B. Sometimes I fell that I’m not getting all the value that I could out of fire strike/earthshatter;
C. The charge… Man the charge is hard for me (I play on PS4, my aim is not that great);
D. Well, any tricks, tips or anything really (related to this) would be very much appreciated from a learning crusader.
I’ll be home in a few hours after a test, so I’ll appreciate anything that you Rein mains and people who have experience with him would like to post here.

A - His shield do melt fast if the enemy knows how to focus. Tips for this are: If you don’t need your shield, don’t keep it up, specially on corners where enemies can shoot your shield without risk. Try to take it down if it’s just slower avoidable projectiles like Symmetra’s ball and Junk’s grenades. As an extra reminder, if your shield goes to 0 it takes longer to start recharging so avoid letting it happen. Also even a 1hp shield is enough to stop ults like D.Va’s and Mc Cree’s (it will shatter ofc) so another reason to always retreat before it actually breaks.
B: Try to not take down your shield at random just to shoot a fire strike. Do it when entering or retreating. Fire strike can combo with a normal swing for extra damage.
B2: Earth shatter is extra powerful if you can tell your team mates that you will use it, but this is one of the ults which timing is essential.
C: NEVER charge into the enemies to leave your team mates unprotected. If your shield breaks, retreat and recover it. Use it as a weapon if the team is spread in the battle and you can’t really defend them. You can also save it to counter an enemy Rein’s charge.
D: If there’s an Ana on your team… Be wary as you’ll possibly be randomly nanoboosted;
To move faster with your shield, jump > right click > release click > jump > right click…;
If you are being flanked, try to hold the urge to defend their attacks. Keep protecting your team mates from the front and let the others deal with flankers.

1 Like

I always love giving new Reinhardt players tips, but do not play him right now. He’s so bugged that you’re going to hate how inconsistent and slow he feels right now. There’s numerous posts about it.

If you want to pick him up, at least take a moment to look at the links I provided on my post so you know what bugs are occurring on him.

The tips I usually give aren’t even working right now due to the animation delays and the inability to cancel animations with the latest patch.

4 Likes

Seconding this. I would suggest picking up some videos on Orisa or Winston-- Rein is too sluggish to play effectively to his skill cap right now.

Yudae, thank you very much! Do you know if this trick works on console (with the controller, of course)?

SensualSpud, i saw some posts about him being even more buggy the other day. I never really got to use those tricks and animations cancels, so I can wait until they “fix” him. Thanks for replying, by the way :slight_smile:.

This advice alone would help 90% of the Rein’s I play with :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Tell me about it! It’s painful to see lol

Well, they should. None of them require fast movement of the shield. Using Rein with a controller should be trickier when you need to change directions quickly like when an ult is activated, but his shield is so big it should be doable.

1 Like

Don’t really like Orisa’s playstyle and honestly hate Winston’s.

Flash it. When taking space, don’t just hold it up and walk forward, flash it on and off and move/jump forward (unless there is a widow).

Aim for the enemy Rein, or for clumped enemies. Spam it, but don’t get greedy with it if there is a sniper or the enemy Rein has his own Earthshatter. Be patient.

Watch the best Rein players, less charge, more shield and hammer swings. Charges are suppose to be short and sweet, not long.

2 Likes

This is a good video about general rein tip you should master and more advanced rein tips versus every hero. =)
2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the help guys, can’t wait to try some of those out :slight_smile:

I’ve done coaching videos for people on the forum. They are older, but the principles still stand.

This is some of my own gameplay, maybe you can get something out of watching. Keep in mind, watch how I take the initiative with Reinhardt. I take on the leadership role, shotcalling, ult management, calling out enemy ults, calling out enemy cooldowns, calling out enemy switches.

1 Like

Learned a lot of gaming by watching other people playing, so this is definitely gold material. Thanks bud!

If it moves… CHARGE IT! If they survive… CHARGE SOME MORE!

1 Like

Isn’t shield flashing harder to do now with this recent patch?

Unfortunately yes…

1 Like

:[

That’s what I was explaining to Ghost earlier. A lot of tips I usually give people are just not really working right now. Shield flashing and the shield+jump combo was my favorite thing to do. Well, ONE of my favorite things. My true favorite things are when Charges and Earthshatters land.

1 Like

Yeah I did a video on how to do this waaay back when the game first launched.

2 Likes

I feel like this thread has covered the majority of things I wanted to say but if you’re looking to practice Rein on PS4 feel free to add me. I’ve been playing a lot of Ana lately and you gotta love that combo.

Also bonus question: Is your user name at all related to the band Ghost?

1 Like

No at all, haha, I just aways used it since the good ol’ days of COD MW2. My PSN is DrP4radox5, I’m not that active those days, because I’m just going back to school, but it’s aways nice to have more friends to play with :slight_smile:

Another question guys: what’d I do when I get boosted by an Ana? In QP you don’t aways have coordination over ultimates and stuff and aways fell like “Wow, she actually deposited her hope on me, TIME TO KILL” but I don’t think it’s aways the best thing.