Thrown out of game because of server issues and the banned for leaving

On Paris, my game just started lagging and then the server showed a message about the unexpected error. I was pulled back to the main menu and the Nothing happened when I hit “Rejoin Match” 4 people of my team were taken of the match. And then the match completed with me on the main menu and without playing. Then the game automatically started searching for a new comp match and never actually started one. So, I had to close the game and then reopen it. Now my SR is dropped and I am suspended for 10 minutes. I was low bronze and I worked really hard to get to 1400 SR and now I’m on 1329. Even 1 SR matters to me on this stage and this…

1 Like

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please reply saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided.

No, The message was “server closed due to an unexpected error” and this has happened many times since

Please specify what map you were playing on, what platform you play on, and exactly what times you discovered the error (be sure to mention your time zone). Nothing can be done about the error, but the information will help the QA team find possible issues to prevent future problems.

This is a just a flat out lie.

You might want to ask the other Blizzard teams how to properly handle connecting to servers because neither HotS nor Starcraft have this issue.

1 Like

It is likely that neither HotS and Starcraft care as much about packet loss as Overwatch does. I also find it very unlikely that Blizzard houses all games completely separately when it comes to server management considering battle.net is shared as well.

That’s not what is happening. Their network code never connects to the game server at all and then acts like its our connection.

1 Like

BS. If that were the case it would be happening to everyone instead of just handful of people who posted in the bug report forum.