Thread for anyone having long opening times (that can sometimes be fixed by scan & repair)

There was a background patch just now, is this the “fix”?

I did a scan and repair, it found some files to re download and now it appears in my task manager but still nothing happens, and nothing happened when launching battle.net as administrator

This is actually kind of disgusting that people suddenly can’t play a game they paid for unless they do stuff like scan and repair every time or run as admin every time, or both, EVERY TIME. Like mine has now launched after 3 repairs, 4 restarts of my pc a scan with Trend Micro and and scan with ADW cleaner, and it still took around 3-5 minutes to launch, and all I wanted to check was the hero menu quickly.

Like, I know stuff happens with games sometimes, but according to this thread people haven’t been able to play for days, which sucks. Let’s just hope Blizz fixes this problem before he Ashe update.

All 4 of my mates that live locally Aus Melbourne, get this problem too.

Unless something was changed recently in the launcher? if i get time i might open up wireshark and see if the game is trying to talk to something on the internet when launching.

1 Like

Hey folks,

We’re not seeing anything egregious connection wise, and think this error may have been confused with something else we were looking at earlier. Your connection shouldn’t enter in to how fast the client launches. If you were having connection issues that would be one thing, but the launch is handled locally on your PC.

At this time it’s most likely to be some sort of security issue. Can you try the following for me?

1. Temporarily uninstall any security you’re running in case it’s quarantining the application.
  2. If that fails,create a new admin account and see if it’s fixed if you only play from that account for a while. If that works, it probably means your old account is corrupted.
  3. Run windows updates manually over and over until you get them all. If that works it was probably just windows defender getting overly suspicious of the client since it needed a definition update.

Let us know if it works. If not, we’ll need you to send us an email with a Log Goblin Report attached. The email address to send this to is techinfo@blizzard.com and you can use the title ATTN: Drakuloth - Overwatch Slow Launch. We’ll look over those for similarities and see if we can find a common cause for y’all.

1 Like

Yes… I am having ridiculously long load times. Usually give up :(. wont let me post DxDiag cause it says it contains the word, ‘SH#T’… Cannot debug where this word is in post… SIGH.

ISP: TPG

thread info
https://i.loli.net/2018/11/08/5be3faf28bbdb.png

1 Like

i’ve tried everything and can’t fix it

I don’t even have a scan and repair option in the blizzard app

So if this is the case, and im not bashing you or anyone at blizz, im just asking, why is the PTR firing up with NO issues at all? Same goes for my warcraft acc, it gets in just fine, i disabled windows defender as i typed in an earlier post, i still had the long wait before it booted up overwatch, my windows 10 is fully up to date, that was the first thing i took the time to check besides seeing if i had a virus… i just dont get how the ptr is 0 issues while live takes anywhere from 2 minutes to 45.

Edit: i may wait for Ashe to go live before trying again, as much as i love overwatch i hate headaches. lol

1 Like

I’ve been having this problem for weeks - in my case it’s definitely related to network adapters (of which I have multiple, including Hyper-V)

If I launch Overwatch from battle.net and then disable all my adapters - the game starts instantly but says can’t login. I then re-enable the adapter, my IP address is picked up, and then I can login.

Hope this helps people in the meantime.

Aus - Telstra.

Yeah it must be something 100% network related bc when I remove all internet access from my computer the game boots instantly and yet when I do have internet access it takes forever to boot.

ISP: Telstra

Okay so just tried this as im about to head to bed here, i turned my modem off, the live client of Overwatch opened instantly, just had to turn my modem back on and sign in. Bell Canada isp.

Its a software conflict Between Overwatch and something else, that ALOT of us use. hope they nails this down, or i guess i’ll just not be playing much overwatch anymore.

I have changing NOTHING on my PC, so why is it happening to me too. software updates are the Devil i tell you, the devil.

I have been having the same issue with clicking play and nothing works. After trying several things when talking to a GM tonight and none of that working I discovered this forum and saw lots of people having the same issue in Australia as me. So i tried disconnecting from my internet and then overwatch launched without issue as soon as i connected back to the network the problem started again so clearly seems to be a network issue with something here in Australia. Atleast i have a temporary fix until the problem gets sorted properly even if it is annoying. Btw im in Adelaide Australia and my ISP is Optus

Seems to be a lot of people from Australia having the problem

ISP: Optus

1 Like

Same problem.
Ironically, everytime after a season end, such problem sure surface.

Same Problem, disconnecting from the internet then launching is working for me currently.

ISP Optus

Copy pasting this from another post i had:

The game seems to contact a server before it finishes launching.
Every time this happens (game stuck loading and only using around 24MB of RAM) I’ve recorded it trying to contact servers on IP: 137.221.64.1 to 137.221.64.8. It connects but receives no Data back.
It eventually moves over to a different set of servers on an entirely different set of IP addresses and then the game instantly starts after that.

https://imgur.com/VCXSa7c

Hightlighted line is where the game actually launches, before that you can see reconnects with Zero data returned, the server just doesn’t respond at all even though connection is successful.

Please have your network engineers look into this. I have recorded this issue multiple times so far, all showing the same servers having this problem each time.

EDIT: looks like the IP is owned by Blizzard and located in the Netherlands.
Why in the world is my game trying to connect to the Netherlands when i’m located in Australia and playing on the Americas region is beyond me.

1 Like