Thoughts on why Tanks and Supports are less fun than DPS

They are more ability based than dps generally so hard synergies exist which restrict hero picks.

Does it matter at this point?

I’m so tired of doing any deeper feedback just to be all ignored, I’m blue in the face, talked enough about CC, lack of independence, poor UI and player feedback, lack of basic tutorials, lack of options and of course the horrendous balance.

Devs know damn well why and how their tanks suck, they just don’t care, at no point in the past 2 years have the devs demonstrated any action to corroborate that “tank fun” is within their radar.

So there’s no tank players, because we feel like garbage playing this game and we rather move on to other games where devs fix issues within the monthly timetable rather than every decade. It took years to fix the elevators for forks sake.

4 Likes

Every game with the Holy Trinity Tank will always be the least played role as the role always have more responsibility to do with in the game. It is a hard concept to teach with out a lot of trial and error. It just isn’t as fun.

However for games and blizzard games especially with the holy trinity the game always makes more dps than tank and healer and they’re often just all boring to play. Playing Paladins I rarely have an issue people wanting to pick and play the tanks in the game.

Though I’d say OW tanks have a big issue of being far too similar to each other. Big Blue shield, Mobility/harassment, Scary damage. I bet with those three you can think of the heroes I’m talking about with a fair deal of accuracy. Now of course that is simplifying it and you can do that for the other two roles but there are more of them and the accuracy would go down.

I don’t know if tanks would be more popular just because of the numbers but I don’t see how it wouldn’t help at all.

Which is why I’m always confused with the argument “More tanks won’t fix the problem” Well yeah a lot problems are not caused by one issue nor are they solved by one solution. This is no different. Make more tanks and lets see what that will do.

Besides we’ve tried the game with more dps, double the other two roles. Clearly that isn’t helping either.

1 Like

Ok, real talk, some of the most fun FPS Tanks I’ve played are in Paladins. There’s a level of threat and independence there (while still being supportive of the team unlike Hog). Take a look at Ferdinand vs. Rein. Both have a big barrier, easy melee AOE, fire strike, and a charge (of sorts), but Ferdinand can actually do stuff on his own without needing a healer up his rear 24/7

2 Likes

“Make more tanks” only works if the tanks being added are actual tanks that are fun to play and appeal to what tank players like.

If all the devs do is release “fat dps” and/or over-designed messes who end up being nerfed into oblivion (Which is exactly what’s happened with every post-release tank hero), then adding more tanks only adds more issues that need to be fixed.

Designing new ways to deal damage seem to be the absolute limit of the dev’s imagination, seeing as how that’s the only thing we see them get creative with.

Right, I just assumed that this would be the case. I don’t think the argument is being made “Just make characters and put them in the tank role, who cares!” Even if that did happen I’d think it would still be better than still making dps when the role already doubles the other two.

Actual tanks however is subjective. I think all the tanks we have are tanks but some are just harder to understand how they should be tanking. Hog and Ball being the two tanks people are must confused about.

Fun to play is also subjective and is why more tanks I’d say would significantly help the problem. Okay for example, for me, I enjoy and pretty good at Reinhardt, and Hog. I’m getting better at Sigma and Zarya, and okay to meh at D.va and Winston. However I’m absolutely trash on Wrecking Ball and Orisa is boring to me.

Which really takes out two heroes I’m going to pick from. 6 Heroes to pick from. 5 after the other tank plays if they pick a tank I like/can play. I can’t imagine I’m the only player with this issue in the Tank role. However I’m bad at a lot of the dps heroes but I still have plenty of options to enjoy the role, even if one is picked that I enjoy.

Idk maybe but balance is always going to be a problem for this or any other game. This also doesn’t stop dps coming out. This talking point only seems to come up when it comes to making more tanks

Agreed. This seems to be a blizzard problem in general after playing WoW, HoTs and OW. Their Dps are far more creative and enjoyable than their tanks.

overall I’d just enjoy a game/blizz to attempt at making more tanks first before trying so many other Band-Aids they’ve tried in other games that do little to help with queue times.

1 Like

So in short “SuPpOrT tAnK NeRfF”

DPS would be still the most interesting role, the quantity doesn’t matter here. I can’t imagine if there would be more tanks in a roster, followed by the dev’s inability to balance what we already have. Even echo is considered op just because she can copy tanks, how broken and game-defining they are. Dps roster used to have defensive and offensive divisions, thus there were 6 tanks 7 defensive, and 8 offensive dps heroes. The tank role itself is just boring, you have to be able to do certain things on each role, and the tank role gameplay is less engaging until it is overpowered as hell or has op synergy like goats or double shield. Also, the boredom in tanking is contributed by low mechanical demand.

such low potential, lmao

Lol, if you don’t think that double the number of tanks wouldn’t flip the community’s perception and role play, you’re either a very low SR player or a dishonest skeptic for the sake of “edginess”.

If tanks were teleporting teams, altering map geometry, and perma-flying in addition to what currently exists, AND had double the heroes of other roles, it’d cease to be the bottleneck.

If Widow, S76, Cass, Sombra, Genji, Bastion, Junkrat, and Hanzo were the only DPS in the game (just an example) then folks would quit queuing the role.

I need you to pause and contemplate the limitations those heroes have every match and into certain enemy comps.

Now understand this is every tank and support player’s current world. DPS has answers to literally every issue in the game, all it requires is some skill to flex to the appropriate issue.

This works for any player below 2.8k SR. Above 2.8k SR, you won’t get away with playing Pharah into a team that for some reason refuses to play hitscan. But this is the reality for 85% of the community, so them not understanding or arguing otherwise is mind boggling.

Give any role double the heroes of a current role and it will instantly become the most popular.

1 Like

Tanks are fun, but healers are just wayy too exhausting to play. :smiley:
Try to play Bap sometime. :smiley:

Also if you dont have gold healing and your team loose then you loose like 100SR.
It hard to get even into gold with healer class.

tanks do less damage, healers do less damage. Focusing too much on helping team. Rely too much on DPS to do work.

Why tanks and supports are less fun?
Simple - because they can not replace teammate’s skills, only slightly augment them.

Relying on DPS to do all the damage is fine, as long as you can actually make them do that damage. DPS can rely on shield to survive, so their lack of dodging is unnoticeable, but in terms of accuracy, it’s still entirely on DPS players, and tanks can’t do anything to fix it.

Similar situation for supports - you rely on teammate already having good judgement. No good judgement, and you may as well not use your buffs, as they would go to waste.

Well, CC is SUPPOSED to fix it, but we all know that it doesn’t. You can hook someone straight into your entire team and they will somehow live to tell the tale. It is pretty cringe.

But it’s how it was in public games for a while.

Either you can replace teammate’s skill with your own, so they can leave managing that aspect to you and focus on something they aren’t good at, or you need larger team, so quality can be replaced with quantity.

For instance, when DPS demands healing, they actually demand support to take over managing their health, so they can focus on landing their shots, instead of avoiding enemy shots.

1 Like

But when the DPS is wayyyyyyyyyy over there out of range of a GA or orb or LOS there is nothing a Support can do to help them manage their health.

DPS need to be aware that making a Support (typically Mercy) criss-cross through the line of fire/middle of a fight to save their butt is putting the rest of the team at risk. As a support often the better choice is just let them die… or hope they can get back to the main group and when they are in range give them priority.

still dps by a mile. people dont want to tank and heal by nature

1 Like

that is a niche group that doesnt exist in the same numbers as people who want to kill stuff.

those people are playing wow or something over FPS

This is going to be much more prevalent in OW2. I expect every match to be decided by tank difference. And god help you if team averages don’t force the tanks, specifically, to be more equal or if your tank is a troll/priority pass farmer.

It used to exist in sufficient numbers, but changes to tanks/supports pushed plenty of those away.

Problem with defensive playstyles is that they are often very confusing for attackers. Players just fail to grasp, why their attacks fail to achieve their goals. Overwatch aims to be simple game, where everything enemy does you explicitly get warned about.