This phone problem's actually a big deal

Does SMS multi-factor authentication work for affected people for other services like Twitch?

If not, this is probably something you should look into fixing with your mobile provider - MFA is important, even if SMS is flawed as an MFA method.

If it does, then Blizzard must be blocking certain number ranges. Which seems like a really clumsy way to do it.

1 Like

Lmao what backwards logic.
“You should let them be happy that the game is made worse for you”
But its okay that because they werent happy they can ruin the game for other? It wouldve been so easy to simply add a 2cp opt in.

9 Likes

I can’t afford a $65/mo phone contract just to play a game, I’d rather buy a $65 game every month than pay that much to not use my phone for anything but authenticating a single game…

10 Likes

no, you’re trying to tell people to stop complaining because their experience has been made worse

9 Likes

Honestly at least give us the option to skip the phone step if we purchase X amount of overwatch coins or something, there needs to be some work around for people without working phone numbers.

2 Likes

Yeah you shouldn’t berate people and call them stupid for being happy that the thing that made their experience worse for many years is being removed. I figured it was obvious how problematic that is, but okay.

Not once have I told anyone that buddy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What carrier do you have?

Should not be relevant. This, as is usual for Blizz, is a dumb rollout

2 Likes

Mine is a prepay and works fine. , but I’ve had the same number for 5 years and it’s been on my account for years .

Why can’t we just use landlines for verification anyway?

1 Like

You can refund until it comes out. Takes a few days so you should get on it.

I mean I’ve been saying this for months

Cricket Wireless. For some reason, the phone number just didn’t work. I believe the error said the carrier was invalid as it was a post paid number or something like that. I don’t really remember.

I’ve been using my number for years, too. But I think its because of that “post paid” thing I mentioned above. Which is funny; I’ve never even heard of a “post paid” number before this.

3 Likes

yeah, its a really big deal. Because talk of the web is, they are going to be scripting out every possible number, like the call scammers do, and locking us OUT of our accounts, by claiming those SMS numbers with spoofers , when the process starts.

Blizzard sure thinks they are clever and smart by this, but its only a matter of time.

They just need to ask for the 50 bucks on an account and call it a day.

2 Likes

As far as I know, you can. At least, if the phone is capable of receiving SMS (I think most are?) in which case it’s just text to speech.

That requires a landline though and not many still have em. Even out in the Southern countryside, my parents are the only people I know that still haven’t gone full mobile.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Do you mean to say this is all a ploy to lock us out of our accounts?

What? Are you sure about that? At least where I love every house has a landline of some kind. Yea mobile phones are common, but at least where I am there is landlines built into every house that function.

Really? Interesting.

Yeah nah, around where I live no one bothers paying for landline plans anymore. They’re just an extra cost for no benefit.

They should be grandfathering in existing OW1 accounts or at least providing an alternative method for this. My number(s) don’t qualify. I already tried to get them to manually add it months ago, and they basically couldn’t help at all. Very dumb.

I already bought OW1, and I didn’t even buy it on sale. I even bought loot boxes in the past for my friends during the holidays.

It’s a bit of a joke to not allow a pass to players who already have been playing/paid for the game. This just annoys loyal players.

5 Likes

oh wait a minute. Maybe thats the thing. I meant that people physically have phone lines, but it did not occured to me if they have plans or not.

1 Like