This no bumping thing is making threads die

I’ve had 2 threads today that had about 4 comments then within a minute it’s vanished. The bad part is I was the last one to comment so since nobody else can see it it’ll vanish and because I can’t comment/bump it anymore it’s just gone. As soon as it leaves the top loaded section of the forums it’s never seen again.

This encourages spamming a post by just making it over and over again for people to see it.

At least allow us to do it but count multiple bumps in a row as spamming or something?

158 Likes

It seems like in these forums threads die way too fast if they are not for complaining or asking people questions like “What do you think about this”.

42 Likes

Seems there’s just an abundance of people saying the same thing that’s been said countless times already.

17 Likes

Bumping was against the rules of the old forums. Did you not take the 30secs to read the old rules?

21 Likes

Oh I did, nobody ever got punished for it though and the bumps I saw were mostly justified (like my example) but then again there’s people 3-4 bumps in a row with no normal comments, that should be spamming.

17 Likes

Kaplan himself necroed a thread once. So long as the subject of a thread bumped was still relevant, it was cleared to be bumped. Threads that were outdated and/or lost relevance were locked when they got bumped

21 Likes

Normally I’m fine with threads dying but the rate of new threads seems to be much higher than it was before.

1 Like

Bookmarks and notifications much?

1 Like

Doesn’t help if, as I said, it only had a couple people comment before it was buried in new posts.

3 Likes

IMO, no kind of bumping is justified, for any reason.
Every thread competes for attention from the masses. You can’t, as a single individual, try to dictate what other people should and should not read in the forum by manipulating the thread list through the act of bumping threads.

8 Likes

And I’m sure he still can. So it’s all good. =)

Hence why it’s a forum, where everone has equal space to voice their opinions. Not just the people who bump their posts 24/7

3 Likes

No one should have to time their posts to coincide with peak hours or desired demographic (the pro-Genji part of the forums tends to get on a little bit later than the pro-Mercy parts).

9 Likes

So if it disappears in 1 second because you were unlucky enough to have a bunch of people post at once it’s not justified? At that point I’d make the exact same thread again if we’re unable to bump. Nobody had the chance to see it because it was basically never there

19 Likes

Bumping was against the guidelines on the old forums anyway. This is just a stronger method of enforcing it.

1 Like

It’s a stronger method of murdering threads.

9 Likes

I mean i figured this is the message blizzard wanted to send us. Stop keeping discussing alive and just spam like hell :confused:

6 Likes

No it’s not. People who post get notified when they’re replied to. This brings people back and reduces the need of a thread to stay on the front page.

If you make a thread that is genuinely worth while that also grabs and holds attention, it will be bumped by people replying and not by you.

Stop being so pessimistic and actually look at it as a system instead of a single change.

2 Likes

That was supported in the old system, are you kidding me?

While in theory, the no bumping rule allows more people to get their threads across, it’s pretty much a moot point when you consider that 90% of the forums’ front page is that of “Nerf [Insert Hero Here]”, “Overwatch League is dumb”, “Unpopular Opinions”, and anything and everything to do with Mercy.

While I understand everyone has a right to get their point across and what not, it’s TIRING just seeing complaint threads popping up all of the time when more casual and fun threads usually die after a few moments unless they have a good few people constantly posting on them.

I’m personally pretty annoyed by it because I’ve made two threads that more or less were asking for community input and interaction (Lore thread & a thread about character heights) and they sort of died once people started to get back to the whole complaint cycle.

90% of complaints which are all the same as one another.

10 Likes