This new 'avoid as teammate' is a good idea horribly designed

The design is so bad it’s incredible.

Limit of 2? Make it 200, at least. (Increase friend list size while you’re at it).

They fall off after 7 days? That’s like a bad joke. No, the people who behave terribly, I want on a list permanently. Not to fall off.

I’d be ok with having the option to make it temporary or permanent - if it’s based on ‘they didn’t play well’, then falling off might be ok.

It’s incredible to me how the devs could think those limits are good.

Credit for identifying the need - not for the ‘solution’.

21 Likes

Is it really only 2 people you can have avoided at once? That seems kind of pointless to have then.

9 Likes

It’s really only two people at once. This is on top of their designing the block feature to be temporary, when I want that permanent also.

youre missing that you can cycle them. he pointed out you can remove them. so all you need to do is remove someone after a few hours when youre different SR and add someone else.

2 Likes

No, no I’m not. I don’t want to ‘cycle them’. The limits make this useless.

6 Likes

I really wish it could be permanent. There’s this one player who uses a second account to throw in my games and abuses everyone in chat. There’s no reason for me to ever want him on my team ever again.

5 Likes

People absolutely will be using it to avoid players who they believe did not play well so the fall off time is a must. Most of the time you just have to avoid them for your next game anyways, you are very unlikely to get them in your games after that.

5 Likes

They already stated if queue times are not effected by this they will increase the limit. They want to implement the system without creating insane queue times.

3 Likes

This is like their way to deal with one tricks in higher ranks. To stop streamers and youtubers from complaining. (They don’t give two shirts about the rest of us.)

2 Likes

Jeff said limit is 2 because it can cause problems around grandmaster. Then why not rank based limit? Like Gold players have most places and you get less higher and lower (to avoid bronze being unplayable)

2 Likes

If you really feel the need to avoid that many people, you might be the problem. Two is plenty because matchmaking would be awful at higher ranks where there are fewer players if people got mad every match they lost and avoided their whole team.

9 Likes

‘Very unlikely to get them’ - the feature wouldn’t be needed if you didn’t get them repeatedly.

I’ve had bad behaving people I blocked 4 games in a row - and then on repeated days after that.

I understand the desire for a limit - what if someone gets a lot of blocks, will they find matches? I presume that’s an issue.

But this is identifying a legitimate need - that a reason not to play overwatch is repeatedly encountering bad players - but not addressing it.

I’ll give a real example from early this morning.

There’s a player who has behaved badly and I guess carried a grudge. So I got them on my team this morning, and they spent the game as Mei, putting ice blocks in front of me constantly, helping cause our team to lose. They were in a grup of three and all three griefed the team. Yes, the team reported them for griefing, but that’s someone I want to ‘avoid as teammate’.

Soon after, the group of three was put on the enemy team. They’re so deranged, they got their group of three to camp our spawn and attack when I came out. It ruined their ability to win, so our team pretty much rode the vehicle to victory, while I got a gold for damage though never much out of the spawn. These are the sort of people I want on ‘avoid as teammate’. Permanently, and this ‘solution’ doesn’t begin to address the problem.

4 Likes

It really can’t be that many players you can avoid - imagine if you had 200 as you suggest. Every person on every team just keeps avoiding different people, to the point of having no players to choose to match together. Or imagine ending up playing with the same 5 people who are all support mains but since you all kept avoiding others, there is no other possibility to match you with other players. Really, 2 people per week seems fine.

7 Likes

200 out of many thousands of players is not a problem. Fewer does not address the problem. No, two does not seem fine unless you are in denial of the issue.

I doubt I’d even use the feature to avoid ‘bad players’. SR largely addresses that issue. It’s people who behave badly that are the main need.

I guess people who refuse any teamwork might justify using the feature with a ‘temporary setting’, but I’m mainly thinking of bad behavior.

2 Likes

And now Wraith is reported. The forum needs a ‘block user’ feature, but lacking one, they won’t be read.

Yeah but you forget that every person of those thousands can avoid 200 people, which makes the matchmaking conditions extremely complicated. People will no doubt abuse it - there are MANY MANY players out there who would accuse people of throwing even when they’re not, they will keep avoiding people every match. This will also make it difficult for people who got avoided to find a proper team. Seriously, it’s better to start this feature with a few slots for avoiding than with too many.

1 Like

youre missing the point bro… avoid feature is there to inform avoided player that they are doing something wrong without banning them, than its up to avoided player to see where is the problem and fix it or sit in queue for very long time.
this system is very very good…

1 Like

It’s baby steps.

Personally, I’m glad we have this, after almost two whole years of radio silence on an avoid player feature.

There are enough players in Gold/Plat range that I rarely get the same players more than once in a session anyway, so the ability to avoid a couple will help me out greatly.

200 just seems silly; it would throw the matchmaker into complete chaos trying to find suitable matches for everyone who maxed out the avoid list (and there would be a lot of players who max it out)

1 Like

No, that’s not why it’s there. It’s there for the reasons Jeff stated: to let players improve their gameplay experience by excluding some teammates.

Pretty sure it’s a bad system and will just be abused to punish people playing off-meta heroes, even though Blizzard stated time and time again they won’t punish that.