This is probably going to get ignored but I really wish people who dedicated huge amounts of time to this game didn't get punished

I have been playing since beta. I have a gold border account. I have peaked as high as 3.9k pre role queue and now sit around 2500. But Im not here to complain about losses. I’m here to say how much I love this game. I have had to deal with a lot of things in my life and when I found overwatch I truly fell in love. I always thought “If I could just have one game to play for the rest of my life, it would be this.” I still think this and my excitement towards Overwatch 2 is obviously high. Iv always considered the overwatch community like another family. At the end of the day we all just want to push the payload. And I hate to take all this love I have for the game get diminished by my own mistakes. It’s never really the games fault, it’s usually mine. But that’s where I have to take a break and forgive myself.

Sometimes I do everything perfectly and still lose almost like the universe is playing tricks on me. I know it’s just a game, but some people don’t have much else in their lives some people are paralyzed from the waste down and can run and jump and fly like these awesome heroes but overwatch allows you to feel like maybe you can if you try hard enough.

I don’t remember the last time I really won with friends and yet I still love this game. All of my friends are lower rank so whenever we play I have to really help them and coach them but I’m not perfect and I feel like the game expects me to be a god sometimes and I’m a plat who’s been to masters and was diamond for many seasons but il lose to a silver or bronze easily and it’s discouraging. I’m sure it’s encouraging to them. Then people make fun of you for choosing to spend so many hours on a certain hero or even for playing this game, I’m sorry I love this game so much I apparently cannot stop. So many hours given to this game, so many hours I could be exercising or attempting to create something myself but I chose to spend time on this game because it was and is that great. I just feel like I’m losing myself in it all. I’m constantly being challenged by negative feelings from my teammates, but mostly from myself. And sometimes it’s impossible to tell where it vegans it just ‘exists’ and those moments where you want to blame the game is it really fair for the people who worked so hard to make this game I feel so selfish. It’s not fair I don’t really have any other way of expressing it, I just keep trying to push the payload and I fail perhaps this game truly is a metaphor for life. Sorry for the rambling

But I’m sick of feeling like all I can do is scream when I tried so hard I cared and supported my teammates so strongly and we lose. Because life always has someone better than you so why try. Why complete. Everyone must fight for something to eat I can barely pay attention to my life or my job but I pay attention to payload. I have no job actually I have no meaning I have no idea where I’m going with this sorry to use you as my personal journal of all I ever do is eat sleep wake up overwatch repeat overwatch eat sleep and do it all again I’m going crazy over this. Everyone is so mean and the only way to stay alive is to be meaner and angrier and be louder and SCREAMMMM I WANT TO WIN WE MUST WIN WHY MUST I BE A LOSER
Get gud that’s me just another make believe

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think of it as getting ‘punished’. It’s a game, and yes I do understand how important gaming is to some people(including myself). However, you have to know when to take a step back from a game for a bit, because a lot of times they will indeed piss you off to a ridiculous point. At the end of the day, you just have to treat it like what it is: a game meant for people to have fun and enjoy themselves.

Something you COULD try, is to play with friends and just mess around in comp to t and make a themed team work. Role play with the characters. Sometimes friends and I pick a character to be a specific ‘Avenger’ or character from My Hero Academia and we just talk like them during the game and just find ways to have fun. Losing sucks, my dude. I know it does, but the real loss here is when you lose the will to keep playing because you lose because that’s not what gaming is about. It’s ok to be competitive, but just have fun with it. Unless you’re specifically trying to be on a Pro Overwatch League team, there’s no reason to have an aneurism over losing.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I feel your pain, but after so much time spent, how is anything a surprise to you at that point? MM has always been erratic. Players have always been toxic.

1 Like

embrace your inner stoic face…you tried…society is broke. you cant build anything when your coworkers/teammates cant do what little is actually their job

basically, i just imagine that the afterlife is going to have an unimaginable amount of stairs…it makes me smile.

1 Like

Skimmed a bit, admittedly, but no, you didn’t support as much as you could have.

4 Likes

How did you end up as almost GM in plat?

Was it because of playing with friends?

Pretty sure it’s time to take a break bruh.

1 Like

I felt the same about overwatch for a long time. In the end I had to quit cold turkey for ~6 months. I come back and play every now and then but when I start to feel anger toward the game - that’s the last game I do.

I then go do other things. Overwatch isn’t that important to me anymore. There is no use being angry about this game. It’s not worth it.

+1, cheer up and cool down, threadstarter.
As a father of two children and a person, in general, i cannot ignore this thread/post.

Yes and that is why we are all here.
Because we all do enjoy this playing this game through the ups and downs, highs and lows.
Pretty much the same reason why people enjoy competing in a physical sport or other zero sum games like chess.

As you had mentioned, it is just a game.
The game, be it this or any other game and sport, exists simply as an environment for players to compete. In and of itself, the game is neutral, it just sets the stage for the players to contest and contend with one another.

Fate can be fickle and that is probably why people are addicted to sports and games. There is always that element of luck and surprise, the unknown and unknowable which makes it exciting and exhilarating for players and audience alike.

So do not get too down or be too hard on yourself if you had done all that you could at that point in time. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Such is the nature of zero sum games and again as you had mentioned earlier in your post,

So your opponent tried hard and won.
Other times, you tried hard and won.
Fair is fair. The pendulum swings both ways.

Moreover, Bronze and Sliver does not mean “no skill”, it is just “low skill” and sometimes under certain conditions, that skill enabled the Bronzer/Silver to obtain the kill for Win.

Also, could have been a smurf.

From this point on, my analysis is, and it will start to be a little callous, that you really need to get some balance in your mind and your heart.

I am unsure if you are facing any physical, mental or emotional issues but i have a gut feeling that you may be. If you are seeing a consoler or a therapist, you may want to consult with him/her about this.

You are displaying symptoms of having an addiction, be it to the game or to something else but associative with gaming.

It is fine to vent online on the forum but eventually, only You can make the difference in getting your life in order. Whether it is in the form of seeking professional help or straight out quitting the game and getting a job or another hobby.

You seem to really hate losing and especially to people whom you deem to be of a lower level than you. That is your ego speaking and while you have seem to understand the concept of “humility” i.e. losses are on you and not the game, you are not truly living that out and do not really believe it deep in your heart.

As i mention, i may sound callous and harsh but this is the impression from which i had observed off of your post. Like i tell my children, the truth may hurt but it is always better to face it and grow stronger.

4 Likes

I’ve been playing since beta and feel you pain even moreso, as I’ve never even gotten over 500 SR on my own power.

Yes you did, give yourself some credit.

1 Like

Nope, this is my every game. BS9ZHV

There’s a lot of discussions about this and you’re not the only one. I dropped down into bronze losing maybe 800sr learning tank this season after not playing for maybe over a year. Then again I’m not sure how many of us started to play this again because of COVID. None of my friends play anymore so it’s the awesome solo queue for me! People have pointed out how matchmaker will handicap you if you play too well. It’s pretty obvious in solo queue, especially if your wait times randomly increases. If you really tear it up, they’ll match you with lower skilled players. Drop too much, they’ll throw you a bone here and there.

1 Like

No it is not… I solo q all the time and nothing is handicapping my games when I play well.

3 Likes

thank you everyone for the replies i obviously wrote this on a very down day i stand by my love for this game and have been taking a break hopefully i can come back and enjoy it with a fresher perspective love to you all stay safe ow community

1 Like

Be well, young sir.

If you ever need someone to talk to, you can add me on battlenet: silenthill#11701
and i just created a discord account and am trying to wrap my head around it with my children’s help: silenthill#7787

2 Likes