This game is about swapping unless you're a flanker who cries on reddit

You know, it has been said countless times, but Genji isn’t close to being one of those who suffer the most from Brigitte.
Tracer does suffer a lot from her, but not more than the 90% remainings of the roster that struggle against Brigitte.

Brigitte wasn’t nerfed because Genji and Tracer struggled against her, she was nerfed because she could without effort and horrendously reliably make the game unfun for 90% of the roster. She is too easy not to mess up with and does too much too reliably. That’s why she’s getting more nerfs.

The problem nowadays is GOATS is the best comp. You could think that such a comp (2 supports + Brigitte + 3 tanks) would have obvious counters right ?
Then why is it that the ONLY reliable answer to GOATS is… GOATS itself ?
Going things that look good against it like Hanzo, Pharah, Junkrat actually oesn’t work.

Right now, the game is in a state where some characters whose design has obvious counters, have numbers so good that they do well even against those theoretical counters.

5 Likes

I have to admit that I’m simply not that knowledgeable when it comes to GOATS, so I’ll have to take your word for it. I don’t think I’ve seen it all that much, but then again, I only ever play QP these days.

If you have time and don’t mind educating me, is GOATS just the new, “best” comp? IE, “best”, as in, no current counters to it, kinda like how dive used to be before baguette?

If I’m understanding you correctly… it sounds like baguette, the hero that ended dive, has inadvertently created a whole new meta on her own.

1 Like

GOATS isn’t the best comp, it’s just a viable comp where it’s very difficult to mess up because it’s easy to run, you have three healers, and half the team has very high health.

The reason pros don’t run GOATS as much is because it is counterable with strategy - it’s just hard to execute that strategy with randoms on ladder.

1 Like

Ah okay. So like dive was… it’s a comp that takes for more strategy/planning to counter than it does to execute.

And like you’re saying… with the random nature inherent in online match-making… getting a group of people coordinated enough to push back against goats is an uphill battle.

Pros literally run this in vast majority though. It’s just too consitent and easy to execute / hard to counter.

The thing with GOATS is that you get 3 supports ie lots of healing, 3 tanks ie lots of beefiness, but you also don’t lack damage. If you feel like it, you can run Zen and you’ll have more than enough damage.

Brigitte definitely made this possible, as she is a healer but actually fills a DPS slot. Her 1v1 DPS isn’t that scary, but she hits in AOE so during a fight she actually outputs lots of damage and also greatly increases team survivability, especially the supports’, as the 100 armour from ult is huge, and her burst healing + armour is also hard to deal with.

If you look at higher GM / pro, you’ll either see GOATS vs GOATS or if not then it means someone is basically throwing. The comp is just too good, and a big part of it relies on Brigitte. She allows this comp by providing utility / heals / tankiness / damage with only one slot.

1 Like

If the game is about swapping then you need hard counters which is a terrible design philosophy because it creates so much frustration among players. There would be no in-depth gameplay since it’s basically switch a hero to counter to win and won’t be engaging and interactive to play. There needs to be at least nuanced counterplay for counters.

3 Likes

Im a Cree main. A VERY proud one.

Reddit has nothing over the Official Forums!

it’s basically a comp that has such high sustain that it’s error friendly in ladder games. So if your own team doesn’t switch to either a mirror of goats or maybe a very high burst DPS based hold sort of team then you just lose.
As Lucio will speed boost three tanks into the face of anyone they see and target. Something that is much easier to do in a death ball vs dive being everyone is just standing near each other anyways.

It’s very much like how highschool football teams don’t tend to get a top tier quarterback at that level, so they stick to the running game. So the other team sticks to 4-3 defense as that’s a good run stopper. You don’t see 3-4 defense with random blitz safety and a line backer falling back and cross route running blah blah…
Why does everyone play man to man defense in pick up hoop when zone is better? Man is easier to understand.
same basic idea with goats vs goats

It’s almost like even if the Tracer dodges all the shield bashes and never dies she’s still hard countered by brig’s zoning capabilities, sustain, buret heal with armor overheal and rally. Removing the kill combo is just removing one of the many ways Brig deleted Tracer from the game so that she isn’t completely useless. Brig is still a fantastic Tracer counter, just because she can’t combo her doesn’t change any of that.

Nothing counters McCree so hard you have to swap.

Shoulda just buffed the Rat into viable counter but noooooooo

Well, looks like we’re headed back to Dive.

Pros overwhelmingly run goats variants on every map they can and any team arrogant enough to think they can get away with countering get screwed hard.

You. DO. NOT. Understand. That. She. Counters. More. Heros. Than. Just. The. Flankers.

I’m a Diamond Pharah main/flex who hates her because you can’t reasonably counter her.

The only reason why I wasn’t this way with Tracer is because you could still counter her, and she had a high enough skill floor so a Tracer was basically throwing if they were bad. With Brig, it is EXTREMELY hard to do that.

She has a collective 750 health pool, and that’s not including her armor or ult.

Here is a post that explains remarkably well that Brig is not being nerfed because of “Tracer mains REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.”

Oh perfect. Another player using an ad honimem attack because ‘there’s no possible way they might be wrong,’ Heaven forbid you look at you stance with brig in an unopinionated and unbiased way.

Even me, a person who wants Brig nerfed more, plays her to get knowledgeable on the hero.

Wow, I’m sorry I ever criticized you. With a statement like that, there’s no way I can refute it. You don’t play a hero, so you must be a coach for one of the OWL teams. I don’t know why I didn’t see it before.

2 Likes

Considering you’re a Pharah main and you don’t know how to deal with Brigitte, I
really don’t value your opinion.

3 Likes

The game is supposed to be about swapping.
The reality is it’s about abusing broken af FOTM heroes because it’s a blizzard game.

1 Like

I think whats ridiculous is that suddenly swapping and counters are suddenly bad for the game.

Like really? What about when Winston can obliterate Sym and her turrets? Or when D.va cant do much against Mei since she gets frozen all the time? Or when Pharah is practically useless against a Widow? Or when Junkrat cant do s*(^ against a freakin Pharah?

What about those? Those existed since Day 1 but suddenly when poster girl gets hers, its bad. If everyone else had to deal with their hard counters and had to swap, no one should be an exception.

This game is designed with counters and swapping in mind, or else we’d be stuck with the same 6 heroes for 3 years and nothing more than just new maps. The game is literally “Oh if this hero doesnt work out, how about trying X again Y? Since Y is strong against Z but weak against X.”

1 Like

Odd choice to mention Reddit in the title when 99% of the complaint posts are on these forums.

Problem is there is almost zero reason for the Brig to swap. If you want a game about swapping then Brig needs a hard counter. Or do you not like hard counters now?

Hard countering is bad game design. Brig is bad game design.