This Actually HAPPENS in Placement (3-2,-30 SR) *Beware

Finished last season 2003 as a tank in Role q
Went 3-2 in placement and am now 1973 as a tank in Role q

this one hurt more than usual.

I’m not going to say that I’m the ONLY person who’s been disrespected by the game and its methods. I’m just saying it’s never been this blatantly obvious before, and that kind of audacity breeds a sense of “I can do it because there’s nothing you can do about it”.

Just going to take a bit to digest is all.
The ONLY thing I believe that OW ultimately cares about it whether you keep playing or not. And while I can take a decent amount of punishment, I dunno about this one. This one just feels so egregious , I feel it would ultimately be irresponsible for me to support the game by playing more matches on this account without some more clarity on the why / how.

At a certain point, it’s not whether I can make the SR back but the feeling that as much value is placed in SR, does Overwatch even have the capacity or desire to grow as a game or do they feel happy (or better, even) with its current state and treatment of players.

3 Likes

clip for replay codes

PQ85NN
1VT8VT
ZAMTDB
J3GSHH
B7GBT0

Patch as of 4/22/21

here’s the Rialto under “circumstance”

1 Like

pheww. I’ll admit I was a little upset on seeing the initial rank on my final placement match (a loss / both of which were Hwood, fun), but I did a triple take. Maybe it didn’t refresh, maybe I lost a match I thought I won. Yet, there it was. Staring right at me.
3-2 . . NEGATIVE THIRTY SR
. . .
. . .
How? Yes, I did just get my first shot (after the placement matches but before posting). And, Yes I feel fine (moderna).
And, Yes, I will be the first to admit we had a 6-5 for the def round of the Rialto. It was no guarantee in that Def round and I didn’t hold back as I expected to have to continue to play well in order to secure the win (as is always the case when I solo q - AKA play Overwatch). My genji fed as much as he bladed and the other team STILL had top heals.
But even so, to have as much NEGATIVE placement from the losses and MINISCULE POSITIVE placement from the wins, then why bother? If I’m THAT good or THAT expected to win these matches, how come my overall SR level isn’t that much higher to reflect such a loaded responsibility as the outcome of these matches?

FACTS.
On every losing team, there is/are bad players (if you only think of players as net good or net bad in that sense).
FACTS.
On every losing team you will almost NEVER hear someone admit ANY culpability as to their role in said loss. (Explain their decision making as it relayed to the expected outcome or the execution or both.) Replay exists . . . people don’t use it because people aren’t serious about getting better. Whether it’s to review their own game play or even learn a few tips from some players from the other team if you admire their play style, most people lack the patience or the mental fortitude it takes to reflect on the replay.

SO
If on every losing team there are bad players who will almost never realize the true scope of their actions in the totality of a match (their field of view is severely limited to what they “can” see) then SR needs to be redefined to reflect a player’s true contribution to the outcome of that particular match.
Otherwise, why bother.
That was the reason for the warning. If you realize this as facts. It’s Really, Really, Really hard to KNOWINGLY support a game with resources as valuable as time / energy / emotions / least to say money.

But again, that’s just been my experience.

*the 2 Hwood losses, just cuz

1 Like

I noticed last season that placements seem to have more personal performance weight than they usually do. If you play well you will actually go up more than normal. Play poorly and you will go down more than normal.

The fact you parked your account once it got into gold suggests you were near the peak of your SR range for last season. Not surprising then that you’d lose SR if it places more emphasis on personal performance than winning in placement matches.

6 Likes

I often freely admit any mistakes or places where I could have done better, or where I was completely stumped and no matter what I tried nothing worked.

Usually the other half of this requires the team to be somewhat competent and understanding. But generally someone on the team is either already flaming mad or will use what I said as fuel to roast my mistakes, without admitting their own.

I also freely admit to calling others out on their mistakes. Usually in the form of, “Why did you do _____ ?” which makes them leave voice chat 7/10 times.

If someone gets mad because you ask them why they did something, it’s probably because they’re just mad at themselves. Which they should be. Questions often are the best medicine.

3 Likes

I noticed that I played pretty well in my placement.
I also finished last season right around the middle of my range (which given my 50% win rate seems normal).

So. With your note of personal play having more weight (which I again, have not experienced in my play as a solo queue player), how does that still explain a net 30 loss for going 3-2?
Or would we feel more comfortable seeking to shoot a messenger rather than address a raised issue?

I, for one chose NOT to get into any shouting match, and have learned that if people are willing to give their opinions and points of view, they are also pretty sure of those opinions. You are welcome to them.

Your choice to blanket my response (without watching the posted replays) speaks to more about you than anything else.

2 Likes

There’s also the case of people not ever taking other’s goodwill into consideration. We simply never notice those who do try their best, and tend to focus on the worst of the worst.

4 Likes

I could not even finish my placenents. I went into 2 matches being the only solo q player and i got 10 free reports for playing torbjorn .
Instabanned.
This is the third time and always the same. Premades dont like you play torb? They report you. You open a ticket and its ignored completely. This is the last time i get banned cause i already uninstalled the game. No more blizzard for me. All their games are dead. Other free games make it better.

3 Likes

Why didn’t you maybe, find a group of your own? Knowing it’s been an issue in the past?

4 Likes

Cause nobody plays this game, i found like, 15-16 people in this game and nobody else plays now… Im the last one leaving it :confused:

3 Likes

Ok. I took the bait and went to overbuff to look you up. The last data it has is from 2 months ago and says your tank was 1866. The performance based data blizz used for placements suggests you will be back there again. Give this post an upvote when it happens please.

5 Likes

I have over 200 people on my friends list.

At any given moment, throughout the day, while playing Overwatch, around 3 to 12 people are online and they’re usually either in comp, in a game, or otherwise busy/unresponsive.

It’s an understatement when people say the game is dead. I don’t want to believe it, but unless you have a super popular Twitch stream or Youtube channel where people are dying to play with you, don’t expect the average case to be all that successful.

Generally speaking, I have enough people on my list to queue a 2 or 3 stack at any time. But getting a 6 stack is not as easy to manage, unless you luck up and your teammates decide to stay in group after a game.

3 Likes

are you asking to group? how will I know if we mesh ? Thank you for the invite, if that’s what it was. Do you mind if we qp first? Just to feel it out right? that’d be wise no? sync communication / styles yea?
I am willing to make that investment and work if you are.
Nah. I’m kidding like mostly.
But I am admittedly quirky and am also INFJ from a personality standpoint so while I may be able to survive and even thrive in that setting, it may not always be the “funnest” experience for me. While I appreciate this can put me at odds in such a group oriented game, people tend to judge you by your SR and not necessarily your situation per se. And that’s cool too. I’m not into changing people’s opinions as it relates to Overwatch. That’s what replay’s for lol.

I submit for review, my other two wins from placement
Snubis 1-0 (funny finish the 2nd cap)

and a pretty fast hana. (you might almost call it “premature” even)

2 Likes

thanks for your willingness. I appreciate your kindness when others might perceive it as an excuse or a sign of weakness.
I feel like I hold pretty high expectations for my gameplay so if I do fault in something I know it’ll burn not so much for others pointing it out but because I allowed it to happen. So, you know. Not for everyone.

2 Likes

Ov-er buff. Overbuff. Now that’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time. A long time. Thanks for looking it up.

*think for a moment if you will . . . .
Let’s say your fav pair of pants that you LOVE. Like, 3 pairs, love that stuff, 2nd skin. All the sudden had a recall because it’s now been determined they run the risk of spontaneous combustion due to some flammable material oversight (shout out Safe Men, stellar cast at the ascent of their Apex during the late 90’s)

And let’s say I was the person to make news of this serious risk to your experience wearing pants. Would you be more concerned that I was the one disseminating the news because in your eyes I have a lot of booty and chicken thighs (therefore, what do I know of wearing pants?)

First, I’d be like. Ouch. That hurts. But I also feel like you’d be missing the larger point, sole in order to satisfy this almost blinding need to neg on others because . . you know. . you .

I’ll say it again.
“3-2, MINUS THIRTY SR”
replays are available as well as the breakdown.
And yet, you continue to prove my initial point about the use of replays as a tool for improvement and a more objective set of eyes.
:pray: :two_men_holding_hands: :gift:

2 Likes

am live now

midway through placement (again solo-ing, I know, I have a problem w/ that, but I also dislike the idea of not expecting to win just because, more often than not, I’m in an uphill fight cuz . . solo q. )
freedom!

*update, went 5-0 in placement / last match was a bit of a ss as their whole team left before their attack on Gib was even done.
Net, 5 - 0 , +134 SR , avg +26.8 per match. Still wild considering I’d be happy to get even +24 in a win that lasted decently long against perhaps even longer odds.

1 Like

cool story . .
luck or skill ? were you in VC? lol. j/k you know I was in the stream.
:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :+1: :nerd_face:

1 Like

Overwatch won’t address a problem if they don’t believe they have a problem. At a certain point, the silence itself becomes damning. You’re either unaware (which is to be totally out of touch w/ your game . . ie: “we need a healer”) or you’re willfully trying to deny it while having knowledge of it’s existence. Neither one’s a great look tbh.

I guess, even if they changed nothing. Just by admitting to an issue would probably make some difference to players who have experienced something similar. For a product that relies on the strength and health of its community , this continued lack of progress and in some cases deterioration as demonstrated by this thread . . . . just doesn’t seem wise.
But again, that’s just been from my experience.
:deaf_man: :woman_shrugging: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Idk placements really don’t matter

I once won all 5 placements and lost 300sr

Once lost 4 and the 5th had a leaver and I gained 20sr

Once I did placements on a new account and placed mid-diamond despite only winning 4 games

I wouldn’t take the placements too seriously. You typically (on average though) place nearly the exact same (give or take 50sr) as you did the season before

2 Likes

At the end of Season 25 (I believe) my SR was around 1980, more or less and after doing my placements I got placed at around 2005, again more or less.

I also had Seasons where I ended at 1920 or so then the next Season being placed at 1890 or so.

Even tho it is true that placements do not really matter since you will always be placed where you ended it is usually the case if you ended with some kind of a “middle ground” SR like for example 2350, so you end up still being Gold in the next Season, but it might be like 2200 or 2400.

Only if you are at the brink of a higher elo or lower elo it can happen that you end up being placed either lower or higher, technically in an SR where the icon changes, because even tho you cannot see your SR in placements it still goes up and down.

If you have been placed lower than the previous Season it usually takes up 1-2 matches to get back where you always originally were.

3 Likes