Reiteration of the patchnotes:
Continuing the discussion from Overwatch PTR Patch Notes – January 7, 2019:
These patchnotes absolutely cannot go live. They’re not what this game needs, nor does it properly balance the heroes. All this does is make Reaper an OP behemoth, makes tank players considerably less likely to want to tank now, and Brigitte near irrelevant.
WHY THIS IS BAD
- This hurts literally every hero in the roster. His life steal increase to 50% does not fix the problems people have with him, only gives him the Bastion treatment
His problems are not the life steal. This increase to 50% gives body shots the potential to heal him 40 health per shot. 40 health per shot. That does not even include what a headshot is capable of. He will annihilate anyone who opposes him that he gets near
- Shadowstep is still terrible and still needs a buff or change
- If you want Reaper to be stronger against tanks and GOATS, why not just give him armor piercing rounds? This buffs him, but also does not hurt the tanks protection against fast rounds like Tracer and Soldier. With the latest short story about Jack and Ana, we learn Reaper already has cell degenerating rounds, so why not implement that into the game to where it pierces armor?
Armor and Brigitte
- This is a direct nerf to Brigitte’s effectiveness, as well as the primary reason (Rally) she is selected. If armor’s effectiveness diminishes against heroes like Tracer, Genji, McRightClick, and Soldier, why even pick Brigitte to begin with? People keep saying how she passively counters heroes like Tracer with armor, but if that is nerfed, what’s even the point now? I’d rather have a Sound Barrier or even Valkyrie and Rez on my team than weak armor
- This hurts the tanking role so much to the point I can already see tanks being selected even less. Consider me one of those players if these go live. Tanks are the most reliant on coordination with their team and their teammates in order to be effective. So if you partner that with weaker stability and weaker durability, consider the tanking role’s playerbase even smaller
- Tanks like Zarya and Roadhog are not affected by this really, in fact, Roadhog, as well as Orisa, are now more effective against armor and other tanks. But half of Orisa’s health is armor, and she only has 400hp, so I would honestly say she is even less viable now, because her indirect damage increase against heroes with armor won’t matter against heroes like McCree and Reaper that will now be crapping all over her dead body
- Didn’t we nerf Tracer’s Pulse Bomb to make her less of a “tank buster” and more of a flanker who dismantles the Supports? I feel like all this does if give further confidence to go back to bullying tanks, which is exactly why Pulse Bomb was nerfed to begin with. This just potentially brings us back to old problems
- The players that flex to tanks are now going to be less compelled to flex with D.Va getting nerfed with the armor changes, as well as Defense Matrix being weakened. I know D.Va is popular and her pickrates high, but she is honestly quite balanced, and still requires skill and excellent timing to get full-potential from her strongest trait: Defense Matrix
- She is picked for Defense Matrix
- I really don’t have a lot to provide other than D.Va is fine. Was fine
WHAT TO EXPECT IF THESE GO LIVE:
- The tanking playerbase will diminish and be less compelled to want to tank. It now gives them even more justification for learning other roles better, such as DPS
- GOATS will definitely weaken, which I agree needed to be, but this is not the correct way to go about it because all it does it kill GOATS, making it near unviable, and further promotes going back to Dive, especially with Tracer benefiting greatly with these potential changes
- Brigitte was honestly feeling quite fair and balanced with the Shield Bash changes. But these nerfs to her just feel like a “screw you”, and makes her a near invaluable pick, because any good flanker now has a stronger upperhand at winning against her. So expect to see all Supports suffering from this as well
- Reaper will be an oppressive and godly foe, especially in lower ranks where lack of team coordination and sloppier aim means Reaper will stomp on all of the competition. And every competition, not just tanks. This will make everyone hate Reaper, and does not even remotely address the weaknesses he has that are the core problem with him. Again: LIFE STEAL IS NOT HIS PROBLEM RIGHT NOW
TL;DR: These PTR patch notes cannot go live, they do more harm than good. Reaper will be too strong, not in a skill-based way, but in a cheesey way that just makes people remember OP Ironclad Bastion. Brigitte’s effectiveness will be so weakened that many players will find her irrelevant compared to other options, and most likely will permit flank heroes to run rampant again. Tanks are hurt hard in many ways, and expect to see the tanking playerbase to diminish.
Please…we have to reevaluate other options that promote necessary buffs/nerfs to individual heroes that does not hurt a chunk of the playerbase, but still offers fair, balanced counters in a meaningful way.