These New Achievements

I got the achievement using Brig so I’m 100% sure she works, it did take me more than 3 times though which made me think people were stopping the rez before I managed to shield bash or whip shot them.

1 Like

Whip shot worked??? (Thats just a knock back no?)

It’s hard to say because I was using a combination of both, but the achievement did unlock on the shield bash so there’s that.

Honestly I would just aim to use mcree this for achievement.

Totally not ashamed to admit this:

I dreamed that I accomplished this overnight (with brig and with her flail)…and woke up as it happened to realize I was dreaming…

That’s how much frustration I had with this yesterday…on my mind even while I slept

4 Likes

making a group in custom…if youre interested hit me up there…

group is call “freezethaw achieves”

clever right…i know

Ok, it took me 5 hours in total according to my career profile, but I managed to get all of the achievements. Here is some advice what I found helped for Thaw-stopper (interrupt 3 enemy thaws in a single round). I got the other two achievements while I worked on this one.

Overall I did best with this achievement playing as McCree or Ana.

McCree has the advantage that his flashbang is easy to hit and you can throw it over an iceblock. His disadvantage is that you need to be close and this sometimes scares enemies away from even trying to thaw their teammates. You’ll also sometimes have to choose an enemy to camp when multiple options are available to you (when enemies died far away from each other). In that case pick the option they are most likely to go for and hope your guess pays out. There’s a bunch of luck involved with this achievement.

Ana on the other hand has the advantage that she can hit her sleepdart from a distance, meaning you can hide in a safe spot and lure an enemy to thaw position. Her disadvantage is the longer cooldown on sleepdart and you’re more vulnerable as a character in general.

With both heroes I suggest to keep the interrupted enemy alive after you hit your stun. The issue with killing them is that you’ll have two enemies frozen in the same spot and this usually leads to your team snowballing the win of the round. So I’d recommend to let them live, even if they go for the thaw immediately again after the stun. With another enemy alive on the team you can kill another and have another shot with your stun off cooldown. Obviously you can also go for the kill for a stun, but I recommend to only do this for the third and final interrupt.

For this achievement I both tried it solo and with a duo. I found it worked better with a duo. Once you’re having the start of an interrupt streak you can play more passively with your duo forcing the round to take longer.

With this method I got multiple attempts where I got 2 thaw interrupts in a round, both with McCree and Ana. Yes, only 2… because eventually I managed to get it in the final round, surprisingly, with Sigma. And with that comes my final tip. I got it on Necropolis and I found that enemies are more likely to go for the thaw when an enemy died in one of the doorways. This happened for me, I got one initial interrupt with accretion and the other two were kills in the doorway. They knew I was stuck on the other side, so they felt safe enough to go for the thaw from outside, but I could still damage them by bouncing my weapon. This would also work with McCree’s flash which you can throw over the block.

I’m always happy to help fellow achievement hunters, but unfortunately I’m on PSN and I see you are on PC.

1 Like

Elimination as a gamemode is just terrible in Overwatch. Mei’s snowball offensive got SOOO much better with the deathmatch format. I wish they could’ve just experimented more with another deathmatch holiday mode instead of freeze tag.

1 Like

Honestly the gamemode would be fine if they didn’t make the freezethaw achievement so ridiculous. They seem to love achievements that actively force you to throw the game in order to have a chance of getting them. I already complained about the Ambush achievement in Snowball Offensive but it falls under the same category as Freezethaw. You can’t just win, you just have to wait for the enemy to thaw/reload.

5 Likes

HOLY CRAP I DID IT!!!

Stunned a McCree and somehow got a kill a couple of seconds later mid thaw…turned around and McCree was trying again…

so all 3 in span of one stun cooldown…TY ENEMY MCCREE!

NEVER AGAIN WILL I RUN THIS MODE!!! :joy:

2 Likes

Same as soon as I got the achievements I went back to quickplay flex to get 25 coins per match to save up for lunar new year skins since I’ve now fully completed archives, summer games, halloween and winter wonderland.
NEVER touched it since I got the achievements.

These achievements are soo frustrating to get. I swear I should have completed the interrupt 3 enemy thaws achievement (Reply code 34H564, playing Brig at the 2:45 mark) but noooope. What did I do wrong? Why didn’t I get the achievement? Ugh.

Amazing, two games in a row. This time playing Lucio (Replay code ECD8MS, 2:30 mark). Maybe the enemy stops pressing thaw immediately after the boop, which prevents the boop from counting as an interrupt. What a frustrating achievement. As tough as this one is I fear that stopping an enemy ult will be even more difficult. Can’t wait to get these and be done playing this mode.

boops arent interrupts…seems to only count interrupts…

so brigs bash seems to work but not her flail

Good to know. I def used her flail.

I can offer soooo many tys if someone would be willing to group with me to help. PC :slight_smile:

Of course this happens AFTER i managed to do it ( :sweat_smile:)…but figured you all would be happy to see this…

Fixed a bug within Freezethaw Elimination that caused knockbacks to not count towards Thaw Interruptions for the “Thaw-Stopper” achievement

2 Likes

How do the hell I interrupt an ultimate? I barely see any ultimate in a round, and when it happens it’s too unexpected to actually react…

So basically:

1. It must be a channeled ult
  2. Your allies can’t stun the enemy
  3. The match must last long enough to have ults
  4. You can’t die to it

That’s… way too much for a round of 4v4, isn’t?

Also, does anyone knows if it has to be the final blow or anyone who deal any tip of damage gets the achievement too?

If I remember correctly it says interrupt by freezing which means you have to actually kill

The ones I know for sure count are:

bastion, hog, reaper, pharah, Moira, soldier, mccree

I would assume mercy and Winston do as well (genji?)

The 2 I saw the most by far were hog and Moira cause they never die…I got on a hog

How I got that achievement:
Literally asked enemy team if they wanted achievements, they said sure and went McCree, he farmed his ult from our Roadhog, used ult, then I killed him during it.

Most of these new achievements I got by making deals with the enemy team. I guess it’s to see if people have the Holiday Spirit to do something nice, even for the enemy.