There's no 'good way' to reveal an LGBT character

I guess in OW case. Free good points towards the game. With less work needed.

1 Like

The way they did it by using a short story no one will read, and leaving it as an implication was pretty good tbh.

1 Like

The problem with Dumbledore is it being an after fact. People’s problem with Rowling is the sudden “background” in these characters that are popping out of nowhere to seem relevant. Pretty much years after an already set story.

Unlike Overwatch, that still has a small, but continuing storyline.

8 Likes

remembers how korra was supposedly gay, god the way that was represented was just god awful

3 Likes

They could have added lore to any of the 20-some heroes who barely have any backstory. S76 already had a large amount of backstory(comparatively) and thats why some people see it as forced.

5 Likes

So you want other characters to treat him badly? Like be homophobic towards him? That ain’t it

People usally don’t like these kinds of things because sometimes writers think just making a character a minority is good enough to get people to like them. Then if people call them out and say it’s bad writing, they are called all sorts of "ist"s.

Blizzard does a good job though.

2 Likes

Where did you get that from?

When you REVEAL a character to be LGBT then you want it to be very out of the way and “normalised” is what im saying… did you even read my posts???

1 Like

That is why there is not point to revel sexuality of fictional characters at all if this fact is not important for story and lore.
I mean, if sexuality is not revealed in any way, than ALL people can consider any hero to have any sexual orientation as they like as their own head canons.
If hero sexuality is not reveal it does not mean that this hero is straight. It can be assumed to be straight by default because majority of people are straight, but it will not be a fact. Straight people can assume all heroes to be straight if they like so. Gay people can assume all heroes to be gay if they like so.
If official canon adds nothing to story then just leave players with opportunity to have their own head canons and all people will be happy.

7 Likes

At least most of the response seems to be positive or neutral rather than outright vitriolic. I think (most) people are finally starting to realize that Blizzard was sincere in its support of the LGBT+ community, and that Overwatch really isn’t the best choice of game if you don’t like that.

3 Likes

“People should treat them as a minority” this sounds bad

Why does it need to be revealed?

It was better than what we get for tracer but again it didn’t lead to anything that has been told in the current story so why even have it?

5 Likes

It doesn’t help those few in the LGBT community treat everyone who disagree or not giving a care about it with such hostility. So, they’re very tolerant and have a loud voice that make the rest look bad.

1 Like

Why reveal Junkrat likes boba tea? Why reveal that Reaper can sew?

5 Likes

??? Are you refusing to read what im writing???

treating what makes them a minority. IE them being gay. Like how people treat the inverse, the majority, ie being straight.

In soldiers case, treat him being gay like how other people treat being straight, ie its given, its normalised, and “expected”

3 Likes

idk. also pointless

1 Like

Omg I get it now I read this so wrong. Sorry I’m high. I totally agree

2 Likes

ya all g

I think it shows a bit of character development for Soldier, not in terms of his sexuality but before he always seemed revenge driven, find out who brought Overwatch down and so on. Now we also learn the fact that he wants to protect certain people (ex-lover) and innocent people like Vincent.

7 Likes