There needs to be a 3rd level of "Main Game" category

SUMMARY: Overwatch needs an even more casual "official" category.

Most Overwatch players can be grouped into 3 philosophies:

• Some people want to goof off or learn a specific hero in the context of a normal match without any external pressure to win or play as a team. (Purely Solo Players)

• Some people who want to play the game as it was designed, without too much stress, but still in line with objectives. (Semi Casual Players)

• And some people want a focused, deliberate competitive experience, where everybody can be counted on to be trying their best. (Competitive Players)

Currently, All 3 types must choose between two categories: Quickplay and Competitive, creating an aggravating compromise where "nobody is happy."

1. Critical to this discussion is the understanding that Overwatch is designed and balanced around a 6v6 objective-oriented match. This is where the game shines, and is the most enjoyable. Arcade modes, while entertaining, are a poor substitute for "the real thing." Additionally, they are presented as a miscellaneous pile of side options. This has a significant psychological impact on they way these modes are viewed.

2. Therefore, Quickplay is currently the most casual "official" game mode, and is therefore the de facto mode for Purely Solo Players.

3. This can be problematic for Semi Casual Players, who are uninterested in Competitive Mode but still want to play “The Real Overwatch.” Mixing players who couldn’t care less about winning with those who would still like to win breeds a cesspool of toxicity. Purely Solo Players usually win this argument, with the phrase “It’s qp lol” an effective (and in many ways, valid) rebuttal to any criticisms levied upon them. Therefore, the only mode where “you are allowed to care about winning” is Competitive Mode.

4. And like poetry, this causes frustration among Competitive Players. While Semi Casual Players do try to win the game, they don’t necessarily want to devote 110% of their efforts as some Competitive Players would expect. This has the effect of “dumbing down” Competitive Mode, where every poor decision short of explicitly throwing while also degrading minorities in chat is perfectly acceptable. “Good intentions” become a bulletproof excuse for abysmal game sense and a lack of situational awareness that borders on disability (so some would claim). As a result, emotions in Competitive Mode can become infamously… frictional, to say the least.

(MY) SOLUTION:

Give the Purely Solo Players the gamemode they deserve! Make it a more relaxed, carefree version of Quickplay worthy of their attention. Lower respawn times. Relax the hero limits a bit. Play the uncut versions of the map themes - they are beautiful and underappreciated. Disable voice command limits so Doomfists can ANDEYSEY to their hearts’ content. Make it a welcome respite from the weight of responsibility and the banality of existence.

Life is hard, and some people want to ease their burdens with the beautiful, zany, one-of-a-kind game that is Overwatch. Let’s give them - all of them - something they can really enjoy.

4 Likes

I think the third option they need is Comp with RoleQ.

So two Comps? Do you see the RoleQ Comp being more or less “high level” (I don’t know what else to call it) than normal Comp?

No, not two Comps. Just an additional entry point into Comp.

Although the matchmaker would usually end up giving a different experience.

Similar to how LFG Comp is usually more organized and difficult.

I completely agree with the logic, but not the solution. I steadily fall into the Semi-casual category. I want a better game than playing with people goofing off, DC’ing, and taking a first stab at a new role. But I don’t want to deal with tryhards complaining about their SR, or getting thrown for not using voice.

I think adding an intermediate mode (Extended Play, if you will) would be a better solution; unranked mirror matches. Basically competitive without the number to go with it.
It would admittedly push QP more…trashy; more like practice w/ other people. But it would also let Comp become more competitive in the future; say manditory 6-stacks (LFG for solo players), coms required.

1 Like

The mode for solo players to goof around or learn character basics with relaxed rules is called arcade. For some reason, people don’t view it that way.

QP is supposed to be for the semi casuals, but often gets bogged down with the solo people goofing off or trying to learn a character from scratch. Luckily, there is some respite for the semi casuals: 6 stack QP. Here you play against other stacks actually trying and/or practicing for comp. You’ll get an occasional match against an enemy team of small stacks or solos that you will roll, but the match quality is usually good.