Theory: The Petras Act was more-or-less Talon's work

If you think about it, the Petras Act (which made all Overwatch activity illegal) would only benefit Talon, and would more-or-less hand the world to them on a plate, even if public opinion was against Overwatch by that point. Who here wants to bet that Director Petras was in cahoots with Talon when he made such an act? It wouldn’t be illogical to think that Talon set Overwatch up to take such a fall. Heck, maybe Petras even helped them in setting up Overwatch’s fall from grace.

I expect our heroes to learn this straight from Petras at some point, right before Talon kills him in a “you have outlived your usefulness” moment, framing Overwatch for the murder.

3 Likes

While it still makes sense that he would shut down Overwatch due to their infighting, assassinating, having all their higher ranked members die or disappear, and blowing up their own buildings…

It would be interesting to see if he did get an extra push from Talon. But even if he didn’t, Talon already played a significant role in the destruction of Overwatch. Antonio’s assassination is what started their downfall, Widowmaker killing Gerard and “killing” Ana was a hard blow, and we don’t know when Reyes started working with Talon, and how much of his conflict with Jack was Talon vs Overwatch.

But good theory.

3 Likes

That could be a plausible theory. After all, Talon makes friends with everyone and anyone who could benefit them, especially the rich and those in power. I would believe it. Why not?

However, OW was said to have been in a bunch of “suspicious” activity, with OW breaking the law when they should not have been of course, such as the whole “Retribution downfall” (Plot set up? Possible)

However, Winston is going against it anyways lol

1 Like

Who knows, maybe Petras even set Overwatch up in a lot of those scenarios, intending for Overwatch to fall from grace in a way that wouldn’t put any suspicion on him.

All Talon did was roll the Snowball down the hill and watched. They set up the course beforehand and then just gave it the small push.

They knew how the UN would act so they made sure Overwatch stayed the course.

Sounds about right, and I’d bet Petras was the one to make sure Overwatch didn’t change course (or at least try to).

Aside from instigating several events and neutralizing key personnel, which we know they did, I wouldn’t be surprised if Talon used their connections to accelerate Overwatch’s demise, and help shine more light on their faults, while getting people to downplay or forget about all the good that had been done.

Overwatch was probably going down regardless (especially with that conspiracy Sombra uncovered), but I wouldn’t put it past Talon to make certain and satisfy some old grudges by actively making things worse for Overwatch.

Who is Antonio? I don’t think I know who that is

Antonio is the man Reyes kill in the beginong of Retribution, the one they were suppose to arrest and ask questions to. (You can read the Retribution comic too)

2 Likes

Thank you! I completely forgot about him!

I hope we get a comic, short, or short story showing if Talon had any part in the fall of overwatch. I would like to see more information about Gérard Lacroix, Abdul Hakim, Antonio Bartalotti, and Vialli

2 Likes

I would also like to see other Doomfists in some capacity to see what they were like and to see how Doomfist is different from the first. More lore from Akinjide Adeyemi, Adhabu Ngumi, and Maximilian

1 Like

I think that depends on the weakness of the nation states at the time. You’ll find that the more powerful nations today aren’t necessarily fans of international bodies that attempt to wield justice in areas of said nation’s sovereignty.

In the United States for example, congress has given proactive permission for an armed response in the event that a US Service Member is taken by the International Criminal Court.

Overwatch in some of it’s operations is likely killing hundreds in some countries. While I am sure that many deserve it, some probably don’t and the nations it happens in may not be pleased.

Talon also may not be that powerful unless they have some surprises in store. Max so far has been underwhelming at least when it comes to being a force to be reckoned with. Doomfist probably has a fair portion of his money seized and while he is personally a force to be reckoned with he doesn’t necessarily have that many allies that have appeared so far. Moira so far appears to just be a former Blackwatch agent/scientist. Reaper has lost vs Winston twice and vs Ana and does not appear to have resources beyond his person. Sanjay might be just a corporate exec. Sombra lost vs Zarya and totally misread Katya and failed to trick Reaper and her resources appear to just be herself. Widowmaker is under mind control that might not be holding. Doomfist managed to get stuck in jail for years and the person leading Talon before his coup lost vs an opposition that involved Sombra, Reaper, Doomfist, and Widowmaker.