The Wrong Mercy Nerfs

I’ve seen a lot of suggested nerfs to Mercy. I would like to give my opinion on them, as a Mercy main, and tell you all which ones would be good and which would be bad.

Disclaimer: I don’t believe Mercy needs a 9th nerf, she instead needs another Rework. This is just hypothetical.

For those who are new to the forums and/or the “hidden details” feature: click on the arrows for further detail!

Good Nerfs:

Earnable Rez
  • Resurrect is now earned through a chargeable meter (like Torb’s scrap). 1500 healing = 1 Rez (25 seconds of constant healing).

Has the potential to be a buff, but more often than not will mean Rez is acquired less.

Resurrect has a 2 second cast time but no slow.

Valkyrie Healing Nerf
  • Chained beams in Valk are reduced to +50hps but primary target healing is increased to +70hps. Damage boost is reduced to +20% for chained beams but primary target stays at 30%.

AOE healing is too much for Mercy because she has the most reliable single-target healing and adding in AOE makes her too strong, so I want to dial it down a bit but increase her single-target.

Primary target damage boost in Valk is staying the same because it’s strong enough already and increasing dmg boost will be too much imo.

Cast time Resurrect Nerf
  • Increasing Rez cast time to 2 seconds but reducing the slow to +50%.

I believe that Resurrect as a cast time needs a longer cast time due to a couple reasons. These being:

1. Mercy gets Resurrect often, and very easily.
  2. 1.75 seconds is not a long time and if you have to reload, Mercy gets a free Rez.

I decreased the slow given in compensation. To get a feel for it, imagine a situation where Lucio was speedboosting you whilst you were rezzing.

Bad Nerfs:

Increasing Resurrect Cooldown
  • Resurrect will still be powerful. Having Resurrect available at the start of the March means she will always be able to erase picks.

• Increasing the cooldown does not reduce the impact of a Resurrection, nor does it increase the counterplay.

Reducing Valkyrie Duration
  • Reducing Valkyrie’s duration won’t accomplish anything.

• Much like my previous point, she will still have high influence on the fight with AOE beams and reducing it’s duration by 3-5 seconds won’t change anything.

Rez Only In Valk
  • A point given for the rework was to create a long requested second ability for Mercy, so she gets more mid-fight potential. Taking away that second ability would not be a good thing.

• Introducing a new E ability whilst keeping Rez in Valk would be a straight up buff and a no no.

Base Kit Nerfs
  • People have suggested nerfing her base kit, such as Healing, DPS, Guardian angel.
  • Her problem is not with her base kit. She was never overpowered in Season 4 when she had this same base kit. Her problem is having a strong base kit AS WELL AS a strong ultimate and a standard ability that’s even stronger than her ultimate.
1 Like

31 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018