The "Vanilla Ice Cream" argument

I’m thinking Mr Kaplain might not want want to go into creative writing with analogies like that…

8 Likes

I like to think of new heroes as making more of an ice cream. The quality of the hero is the quality of the ice cream. Echo is a really good batch of vanilla, and she would have been an OK batch of strawberry, but people are insisting that another OK batch of strawberry would make people want to get strawberry. They won’t, because it’s not a quality batch.

Long, stupid analogy short it is better to make quality heroes and let people naturally migrate to tank/support because the heroes are fun rather than get short bursts of players because of new heroes that eventually go back to DPS because the heroes aren’t that good.

2 Likes

Aye I fully get (and understand loll) that analogy.

I think what needs done is as many batches of vanilla they’re churning out, no matter how good the quality, since you need to shift the other two (or better put above- can only get vanilla if the other two are being bought at the same time) they need to stop vanilla production and actually work on a good batch of choc/strawb.

It’s exactly as you say, I just wanted to do more of the analogy lol

1 Like

It’s one of the stupidest analogies I’ve read.

And of course they make their DPS ice cream in even higher demand by releasing another DPS hero.

Brilliant.

2 Likes

You want this argument to have any sense?
Roles=base flavor of Strawberry, Vanilla or Chocolate.
Individual heroes=specific mix-ins to their respective base flavor (nuts, candies, flavor swirls ECT)

You aren’t going to get anyone that wants macadamia nuts to buy chocolate or strawberry based scoops if they can’t get macadamia nuts in chocolate or strawberry. Likewise if someone dislikes strawberry or chocolate you’ll never convince them to buy those even if you offer one that’s 90% macadamia nuts.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing…it’s dps players…and the ice cream is the slots themselves…not the heroes…

I’m telling you everyone is fooling themselves if they think dps will go down if you add more tanks/supports…

There are far FAAAAAAAAAAR more dps players than tank/support players…you could make equal number of tanks/supports/dps and the dps queue would still be way longer

Ice cream doesn’t work for me. I always want chocolate in real life.

:wink:

3 Likes

I’m sorry could you frame this in an annoying and arbitrary ice cream analogy pls

Funny enough, in a realistic verion of the analogy, they would stop buying so much chocolate and strawberry from suppliers (releasing new supports/tanks?), because they’re exceeding demand already.

1 Like

Mint chip is the second most popular flavor where I live, what kind of terrible ice cream store are you running? No mint chip?

Forget the analogy then…it doesn’t make a difference…the problem is t that there aren’t enough enough tank heroes…the play style just isn’t as as appealing…

Hell I would even argue that you could have more tanks than dps…you’d still have to wait longer to play dps…cause that’s just what everyone wants to play

Tank is strawberry, so you already got the analogy wrong right off the bat.

Sorry my Boss Rory O’Cue insists theres only three flavours

The problem is they try to sell all flavors in the same numbers, so they cant sell you vanila until two others ar not sold.

With Echo destroying easy no mobile hero, they will leave more … or don’t. Zen gonna get harsh days with doom and Echo the same time.

This analogy was so silly because it ignores the fact that people were complaining about the length of the line for vanilla. So, giving more vanilla and making it more appealing just means that more people waiting for chocolate and strawberry are going to join the vanilla line making it even more of an issue that people would rather have vanilla over the other 2 flavors.

1 Like

If Vanilla is really popular, but you still gotta sell that Chocolate.

How about selling Vanilla-Chocolate-Swirl?

✅ Queue Fix = More BarrierTank Damage

I bet the developers thought of this analogy longer than they thought about actual solutions.

1 Like

Except this ice cream shop will only sell anything to you if you find five other people so two can buy a cone of each flavor. And chocolate and strawberry have much less options than vanilla so the people who enjoy them might get bored if they have to eat the same thing every time - so they might either try vanilla instead increasing the overdemand of that flavor or just go to a different ice cream shop

Adding another vanilla flavor will just make the waiting line even longer to the point where people who like vanilla won’t even bother going to that shop anymore because they don’t think waiting 15 minutes for a single cone is worth it

1 Like

the obvious solution is removing chocolate and strawberry so there is no restrictions on vanilla and people can get it without waiting on the other two flavours