The thing about LFG

Group finder doesn’t have MMR calculations or ping time gating. You end up with DPS your rank that hasn’t played since season 2 and DPS from Asia with 300ms+ ping times. The time it took to build that team, with people dropping as you try to check profiles and such, you could have played 2 full comp games. Finally, this team of yours gets matched against a full 6-stack being boosted by a pair of GMs on their deranked accounts.

LFG is garbage unless you’re boosting or deranking. Boosting and deranking is cancer. LFG causes cancer.

4 Likes

Also who wants to play with the exact same people with mostly the same comp all day long? If i wanted that I would get some friends. Just transform LFG to a role queue already.

2 Likes

It’s true. This game has really become all about mains and one-tricks. There are twice as many DPS as any other role. The result is teams with 3+ DPS and people without the practice or desire trying to fill healer or tank for the sake of the team. It makes for some really ugly matches and just tilts people all to hell. Role select is the only logical answer here in my mind.

1 Like

While the LFG system doesn’t have MMR calcuations, the MM system does. I actually encounter way more smurfs in soloq. Further, with LFG I can actually successfully counter a smurf by counter-picking their hero choice + good teamwork.

The ping gating definitely true, I’ve gotten some games with crazy high ping but is rare and only happens in late night / early morning times.

My experience with LFG has only been a positive one. Honestly will not play competitive any other way. I have patience. My experience with soloq is always that nobody joins voicechat and does whateverthe=%*$ they want like QP. If you’re lucky enough to get a smurf or a team that actually regroups… maybe you can win… but fat chance.

no matter how much shade you throw at the LFG, it is still a necessity.

1 Like

Calculating MMR between two opposing teams is a completely different thing then calculating MMR to place players on the same team.

I rarely have issues with smurfs in solo queue. I see one every 3-4 games and typically match maker has placed a comparable player on our team for balance. LFG can’t do this.

I’m glad you found the mode that works for you. As it stands, spamming solo queue I get nearly 3x as many games in and my winrate respectably higher. Each to their own I suppose.

To be honest, I rarely join voice chat. It’s usually more a distraction then anything… probably because it’s solo queue.

Still, with limited time to play, I prefer more matches of potentially lesser quality comms to fewer matches with with everyone in voice.

Ah, well I main heals. Ana, Mercy, Moira, Lucio, Brig, Zen (in that order).

Communication and coordination is absolutely pivotal to my success and winrate. With LFG, I am much more likely to get a team that is willing to coordinate. I agree with a lot of your assessments about the MM system. But soloq is a rage-experience for healers… at least I can go into a game expecting a balanced composition and basic communication. That already puts me (as a healer) at an advantage that I am not guaranteed to have with soloq.

Also…90% of people in LFG are boosted (slightly) and create groups looking for carries.

(The other 10% are trolls or boosters)

2 Likes

yep mostly they seem to be looking for carrying

even though most start by locking a dps role

and it seems tanks can’t tank and healers can’t heal

everyone expects to be carried in lfg

1 Like

I main heals as well. Lucio, Moira and Zen. With absolutely 0 comms I can rank a new account to low plat easy with any of these 3. Lucio my career high is 3350.

I’ve never found comms all that important for the healers I play at the ranks I play at. Even with Zen, my discords swap so fast it’s usually counter productive to call them all out. I see comms as being EXTREMELY important for an Ana who has to call out sleeps and nanos. My Ana is trash though so I don’t have to worry much about her. Mercy can just do her Mercy things. Birg is just W and mouse click. Moira has the best solo potential of the lot.

The ONLY time I ever get rage on solo queue is when I’m on Lucio because people assume I’m not healing enough. The end of game cards shut people up fast. That said, random hostile players on the Intertubez are mere pebbles skipping down the face of my mountainous sense of self-worth. I give no Fs.

Anyway, I respect your opinion and appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

The problem is your still playing with 5 random people that you know nothing about. All your doing is giving yourself the chance to be queued up against a 6 stack that does know what there doing.

2 Likes

I play Ana like 95% of the time.
Comms are very necessary with Ana, otherwise you risk wasting nanoboosts unless you always use them to heal / upkeep your tanks which isn’t always the best option to choose. Sometimes it is more effective to combo with a DPS, especially on attack. Sleeps… honestly, 90% of the time I do not call them out because people $%^& them up anyways. If I do, I call out when they’re about to wake up. I find more value repositioning after hitting a sleep or executing my combo at the 8sec CD marker depending on the hero I slept.

With Lucio I find comms necessary too (mostly for speedboost tbh). However his ultimate is very defensive and doesn’t need comms, I agree with you on that. Also Moira/Mercy/Brig, you’re right, just do your own thing anyways.

However, If I’m getting hard-countered by an enemy smurf (genji/tracer/doom/etc), I find comms are necessary to win the match. Otherwise I get focused down and $%^#ed in the @4$. Tanks will not pay attention to me (or the kill feed for that matter :thinking:) if I do not use comms and communicate that I am getting spawn camped or backlined.

Honestly it’s been okay to for me. It can still be a dice roll when you get a good team who are all competent in their roles or a Reaper 1 tricks who will not stop feeding or a bad fill tank who got tired of chasing open DPS slots.

It’s only real positive outside of finding a winning team is that DPS players don’t have to fight half the team for their role like they do in solo q.

Lfg is a failure because theres nothing wrong with the matchmaker. If the matchmaker were so bad LFG would be wildly popular.

When you get into lfg groups almost none of them have locked roles. When they do its a horrible experience because you cant adjust to the enemy. Those games with role lock are a nightmare. When you get into them its super obvious why we dont have role lock.

LFG was the solution for people that want role lock and dont trust the matchmaker. …the result role lock is stupid and the matchmaker is mostly ok.

LFG has issues but dont act like solo q wasn’t a nightmare, particularly if you were a DPS Main. Either 4 people instapick DPS at the beginning or your Main Tank Rage Switches to Reaper because he thinks you’re trash.

1 Like

Well the thing about lfg is that barely anyone if not no one use it. I tried few times and having to wait 20min to find a group and queue for a game in plat thx but no thx. Moreover the few games i had were no different than solo queue, granted you ensure you wont have the odd 5 dps team comp, but besides that, the toxicity is the same whatsoever i.e if the team win everyone s happy if the team start losing people stop playing the actual game and start playing the blame game. Imo they shld add sr for that, lol as a lot of people in this game prefer the latter than the actual game it seems.
Now to suggest constructive ideas instead of only bashing stuff and rant (as so many people do)
I believe they shld try on ptr to mix both systems.
E.g. before queing for solo queue i specify what i want as an ideal team comp and then the matchmaker will find a group as close as possible as that. It s a compromise that seems reasonnable to me . Any comments?
Cheers!

Addendum i m definitely not in favor of role lock nor team comp lock. Hence why my suggestion isnt locked into role but more like preference if possible

1 Like

Lfg was great for 5 games. Best games ever.

Then following season all went wrong. Some not so great team mates up against 6 stacks of hardcore killers.

And then several games with super toxic idiots, where comms was just people moaning about their team mates and hurling racist epiphets.

I just duo queue now. We provide the 1 tank and 1 support for the 4 dps instalocks we tend to get.

I havnt lfg since it came out because every dps slot taken up so far has been by a tank or support main that wants to “try” dps. Really funny joke