The seething smurfs are almost subtle. Almost

If you take the time to read the posts of people who are anti Blizzard lately, who strongly defend smurfs and condemn the mobile phone addition, THEN check the user activity on other topics you can make the links to people who are Smurfs themselves / playing in low ELO in multiple accounts while having a GM account.
The disruption caused seems to be now turned back and they are struggling to hide it.

If you are a gold ranked player in Overwatch you should NEVER know what it is like to play at bronze level. Ever.
A gold rank player intentionally dropping down to play at Bronze is bad.
If you are at Platinum rank, dropping down to bronze is even worse!
Lastly…if you are ranked diamond and above and know what the gameplay is like at bronze then { insert something unfun }

8 Likes

Yet for some reason every bronze ranked player knows what it is like to play in gold, since that is where the system starts them out at.

1 Like

I’ve been bronze and I’ve been diamond without throwing or smurfing. The matchmaking was garbage.

In my experience bronze is the hardest rank to play in as a support main as generally nobody seems to know what they’re doing, you get no peel and you’re often expected to carry to win.

Around 2.5 was the easiest for me as the players started to group up, use ults together actually think about their positioning a little for heals rather than run away from their supports while screaming they have no healing.

High plat into diamond is where I started to struggle as the enemy DPS would start to focus the supports more and I’d lose most 1v1s. I needed to start thinking more about my positioning so that my team could better peel for me.

High plat I would say my skill level is. But I’ve been from there to silver/bronze border and back again multiple times over the years. You don’t have to be a smurf to know what playing in 5 elos is like.

2 Likes

Sms requirement for competitive is reasonable.
What about QP and Arcade? There’s no point to enforce it to non-comp modes.

3 Likes

I think having in for the entire game would help with people levelling and selling accounts no? Pretty sure if you remove a number from an account you can’t then just use it on another account straight away. So account sellers would need a phone number for every account they sell.

It’s going to be really interesting to see what the OW2 comp experience is like. For the first few weeks at least it would be almost exclusively existing OW players on their mains. No smurfs and no throwers.

1 Like

Completely agree, the game actually becomes much easier and more enjoyable once you reach a rank where your team actually starts playing like a team. People talk trash about plats a lot but in my opinion it’s the best rank to play in. Not as toxic and chaotic as gold and not as sweaty as diamond.

2 Likes

Quick Play and Arcade deserve good quality games as well.

P.S.- Your forum profile is hidden. Want to open it up so we can get to know each other better?>

I got to Gold after starting in Bronze. Believe me, I wish I didn’t know what playing in Bronze is like.

2 Likes

I started in Bronze, and am in Plat. I think I can remember the massive amounts of smurfing which happened in bronze.

Anyway, I HAVE noticed the amount of smurfs constantly saying “no it won’t make any difference” somewhat desperately, and saying they should remove the horrible system, because they have empathy for their fellow players (which if they did, they wouldn’t be smurfing…)

2 Likes

you can’t put everyone you don’t like into a box to make them easier to disagree with. how are the genuine complaints of ‘blizzard doesn’t allow or trust my cellphone provider’ matching up with you believing they’re all secretly smurfs or something?

Not sure if you’re aware of this or not… but you can remove the SMS phone number from one account and register it onto another. Alt accounts and smurfing are still going to be a thing until Blizzard does something else lol

You know that’s temporary, right?

1 Like

Whether it is or not doesn’t make a difference to me, I’m just trying to inform people that the sky hasn’t fallen yet, and the only thing that’s changed is Blizzard’s authentication has a thing against Cricket wireless users.

He walks in with 15 posts under his belt and starts with this…

Like he isn’t a smurf and it won’t affect him. and then forgets about his earlier post -

You’re talking as if you don’t have alt accounts. My main account was actually banned from the forums for 1,000 years lol. That’s what Blizz does. They don’t outright ban you indefinitely, they think they’re comedians and ban you for 1,000 years, but I digress.

Every one of my accounts is in Bronze, so no, it doesn’t affect me. But that’s another matter entirely. I was trying to think outside of the box with workarounds like possibly using virtual smart phone software. After testing it, BlueStacks doesn’t work. But what DOES work, for now at least, is 1 usable phone number that can be attached and removed from any account that you own, effectively enabling use of all of your alt accounts. I’m just a consumer advocate. If you bought an account, you paid good money for it, it’s yours. You should be able to use it if you want to.

Correct. I have one account that I made in 2005 to play World of Warcraft on Frostmourne.

you’d be right if swapping numbers back and forth repeatedly between accounts didn’t look suspicious

^ This. I used to be a diamond player also and maintained plat/diamond for quite a few seasons and then the mmr/sr kept getting worse and worse especially as a solo queuer and getting stuck on teams with leavers a lot more times than not, being stuck with bad players or those carried, etc. to where each season from when Role Queue went live I would get 15+ losing streaks very often to where a loss I would lose around 5 SR then a win would get me 35+.

They have not updated their mmr/sr system at all and so far is as bad as ever and picks up exactly where OW 1 left off as far as comp mode.

1 Like

I don’t know about that. I placed 1000+ SR below my OW1 rank and now I’m back in bronze in OW2 :joy:

Basically I mean they haven’t changed anything for the better with their horrible comp system. It is by far the worst fps one out there. And as you can see off the bat, each season will just keep getting worse and worse just like OW 1.