The real meaning of "Diff"

Saying “Diff” is toxic, but really what it means is that the matchmaker sucks. If matches were made appropriately, there would be no diffs. I’m sure we’ve all been on both ends of it. You’re a rock star one game, and cheeks the next. It’s not because you’re amazing, or because you suck. It’s because the mm sucks. Match a silver with a diamond, of course there’s a diff.

11 Likes

There will always be a player/role being outperformed and contributing towards the loss. That is how games are won.

4 Likes

the match making is not what people think it is. The algorithm is flawed in my opinion.

The devs themselves said they try to put players of equal skill together to give the match a 50/50 chance of winning. Here’s the problem if you’re winning too much you’re punished for it because the system thinks you’re good enough to “carry” people who have been losing too much. So the 50/50 punishment is put into place and you get more players who are under performing. Effectively punishing you for success.

The other problem is that ‘most’ games are usually a landslide victory which means one team always gets demolished. How is it an even match if it’s so blatantly one sided. Don’t get me wrong there are games where the match was close and the algorithm was working but I’ve personally found those matches pretty rare maybe 1/10 games.

5 Likes

As long as someone’s losing, there will always be someone to say “diff”. Only so that they can blame ANYONE but themselves for losing.

3 Likes

Yea but there’s a difference between you played great and I didn’t. As opposed to you know the fundamentals of the game and how your abilities work and I don’t. Or your team can leave their spawn and mine can’t.

2 Likes

devs have said that actually isnt how the match making works. It fills a lobby then averages it out then shuffles the players. It doesn’t actually try or intend to match up people of appropriate skill.

also going reaper sombra ana and kuriko with the enemy tank counter picking you every fight does not mean you suck it just means they need their entire team shutting you down just to do anything which is a diff but

From recent blogposts and interviews. The team knows the MM is absolutely garbage. From what I can tell several high levels people on the balance team don’t even believe the fundamentals are there yet to call the system decent.

Id also estimate s3 to be the first major update to how the system works.

Also. Im making a 3d render for a bologna flavored ice cream. Just an FYI. Its an absolutely awful flavor idea. So Im gonna see how many people I can get to believe its a real product cause the internets very smart sometimes. Ever hear about iPhones in the microwave, ahh the good old days. Google it lol

When I finish it ill find some way to make it about overwatch and post the link so I can show you guys without you having to actually bother to go look at it. I have an Idea, itll be wonderful!

Yeah, wouldn’t that be nice? I’ve never seen them use the word shuffle or anything close.

perfectly siad. But you will still get blizz shills in here saying “to look within, youre the problem.”

1 Like

no. youre wrong. go read the dev blog on this very topic.

I don’t think this is true. I heard “diff” way less in OW1, in fact, that game even though it was considered one of the most toxic, was still less toxic than what we see now. The few rare OW2 games where by blind luck we have evenly matched teams, are generally a lot less toxic with the losing side even saying “gg”.

The utterly garbage matchmaking in this game is 100% to blame for the majority of toxic players, throwers or leavers. It’s not losing that makes people mad, it’s being set up to lose.

Saying diff isnt toxic son, seriously… Get over it ><

People that say " Diff" are people who are in denial and cannot come to terms that they are their own problem and reason their stuck in that SR/Rank.

In example, if a tank isn’t giving the right angles to the DPS, then the DPS are “over extending” to do their job. Supports who don’t heal the DPS on flank angles. DPS that have incorrect target priority but stack high damage numbers who think they are good. They are using the stats board or something to proclaim why they are good without realizing why they are bad.

Yes there are players on the team doing poorly, but almost always, the person complaining was majorly part of the reason they lost. It’s just a victim mentality troll post IMO. “It’s not my fault my rank is my rank”.

Well there’s also genuine diffs in gm when the enemy sojourn has a xim and has 10000+ hours on a collective of shooters and half my time I play games is like roblox or something lol in those situations I most definitely get diffed on sojourn. Which that is less of matchmaking more so that console overwatch is an awful experience lol

Thanks for the link. This article shows how horrible matchmaking is. It flat out states that SR is meaningless, and everything that matters is hidden.

2 Likes

The real meaning of “Diff” is being differentiated, differenced.
In abstract algebra, we would define some kind of distance metric.

In calculus, we might say dx/dt, as in you < me over time.

I’ts not the matchmaker I’ts the player!

Funnily enough, knowing the matchmaker is busted actually disincentivizes saying “diff” after a game.

Now, I just remark at how busted the game is.