The real fun way to play OW is quickplay -Idiot me

Been a tryhard. Stuck in Gold.
Played Comp only for the entire last 2 years.
Watched OW competitive slowly go down the drain.
Witnessing 3/4 of matches being ruined by throwers and leavers.
Realising that the state of OW competitive, as you all know, is terribad.
Still hoping to find good Comp matches in 2021.

Ok. So what’s the revelation?

1. I am personally an idiot for sticking to Comp only.
  2. I just went back to Quickplay for a whole day (not classic, regular qp, very important difference here) and the fun factor is back in the game! (tailored to my preferences…)

This might sound obviously stupid for you (who might never play Comp or played both), but for a tryhard like me who worked hard to climb and never made it passed 3000SR, losing matches after matches to throwers, quickplay is just much better than Comp at the end of the day.

-I FINALLY play along with higher ranked players. (2800-3800SR)
-Quality of matches 500% better.
-No need to callshot everything.
-No more headless chickens going everywhere.
-Comboing ults.
-Almost no toxicity.

Farewell Comp mode…

5 Likes

I have been stuck in gold and silver for the past six seasons (season 20-26) and yeah. QP is definitely better than comp, especially since the games are shorter. Btw, what do you play OW on because I think the experience is different for each console/pc.

2 Likes

You should try PUGS!

2 Likes

Playing QP is 100% better than playing roulette comp . They’ll fix it , one day , and ill play it again , one day .

2 Likes

all false.
we all first wanted to get higher in rank to get better quality matches.
there will not be some.
only thing changing is
time to kill. widows headshots you across the map, 1 clip tracers, genji having blade in 1min and still
ppl dont do call outs
still troll as lucio etc

all you need is FRIENDS
with friends you can play even in gold and it will be hard and fun adn challengin

1 Like

I play on pc. I would’t know about console gameplay. I heard it’s bad because of the astronomical amount of free smurf accounts.

@eM3res
“all you need is FRIENDS” you are right, I know about that.
Been having the most difficult time finding and keeping reliable and respectable tryhard like me that know the whole game up and down and play often enough so I don’t solo all the time. :slight_smile:

Dont treat comp too serious. That can acctually hurt your performance. Just try to have fun and improve.

3 Likes

Stressing out will 100% hurt you in the end. Tryhard’ing will make you lose focus and can even cause you to be anxious; then when things don’t go your way you’ll get more frustrated.

2 Likes

There are a lot of smurf accounts but they are mostly on Xbox and PS. Switch doesn’t have the same issue since your other accounts have to have their individual online payments or group them up under a family plan.

1 Like

Good for you, I have also been playing some Quick Play recently and it is much better than Competitive Play. The underlying reason is that, even though Quick Play is handicapped the same as Competitive Play, it is not subject to the double standard of SR/MMR, and a fraudulent ranking system. More info:

2 Likes

That’s good to hear man, same feeling here. I peaked Diamond this season and I’m probably never playing comp again. Too many throwers/leavers, smurfs/alts, toxicity. All the tilt is not worth it imo

1 Like

I got a couple issues with quick play. 1 is that it’s super unbalanced in the sense that when you are defending not it’s a payload map you gotta defend for a total of 10 minutes. 2 they take your ranked sr and use it to pair you in quick play. This is by far what I hate the most is it makes it impossible to play with friends or we just get rolled and that it takes 10 mins to find a game. I had to buy a new account just so I could play with my friends in quick play. No joke I queued with my friend who just bought the game and his first game we queued into we were against 2 top 500s and 4 diamonds like how is that ok? He hasn’t even played a game yet lol

@ [GîvéMêHànzô] I don’t treat comp too seriously (anymore). I just hate bad matchmaker and throwers that have 100% control over the outcome of a match. Want to leave in QP? Ok! Someone’s gonna replace you IDGAF. :slight_smile:

@ [Eyevou] Tryhard doesn’t mean you stress out. You hyper focus and REALLY want to win.
I used to be like that (stressing out) but I don’t care anymore. I just find it sad when there’s no justice and bad players have more influence on the outcome of a match than players actually putting the effort. It rewards lazyness and bad behavior more than actual serious play. Bad design.

@ [Cuthbert] Man you’ve been here for the longest time and advocating for the same cause. :slight_smile: I agree that qp is more fun mainly because to have more fun, you want better matches with fewer throwers and more skilled players. QP adjusts it’s MMR faster than in Comp so you get matched with players at your level faster and, although it throws the occasional lower ranked players to speedup the matchmaking process, it’s an overall much better experience.

Makes sense, this game is for casuals. If you want real competition go to Valorant or CS.

as my level gets higher i appreciate qp more because it actually matches me with players who’ve played the same length of time. I feel like a sherpa in ranked almost every single game.

Call me a QP warrior but, this is my favorite part of QP. I prefer to play against people of my own skill. This way I don’t have to buy an alt account and smurf to get hero diversity/practice in.

Seems like you guys only have fun when you win. Not tryna be an azz but that’s kinda on y’all…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Experiences may vary then because this has never happened when I’ve played with people who’ve never played the game before. The games are always boringly easy…

That’s why I play Valorant :slight_smile:

Not gonna speak for you but my match quality increased astronomically at 3000+

Literally just better games. Teammates that work towards the common goal without everyone doing their own thing all the time like idiots.

I would prefer Overwatch followed Valorants model and each team gets an attack and defend round.

Scrims are way more fun than pugs

1 Like

Completely agree, but I think joining pugs is a bit less of a commitment for a better alternative to quick play than joining a team would be.

2 Likes

Fair enough…

I just had way more fun in scrims than I did any of the other options.

And you really learn to play and have fun with cool people.

Yeah it really depends. If you can commit to it/find a group that can consistently scrim (or even a tournament/league if you can swing it) then it’s the best way to play the game. But otherwise PUGs at least guarantee a more friendly and cooperative environment than randomness ever will.

Yes it is. I think the reason why MMR is such a big problem in ranked Competitive Play (and not in Quick Play) is that so many Competitive players (especially very new players and very experienced ones respectively) are in the wrong brackets. And then they are being set up to compete in a situation where the skill differential of 6 players can be used to counteract a single player, which violates the principles of fair competition.

3 Likes