The real difference between ow1 6v6 and ow2 5v5

OW1 6v6: Everytime I lose it’s because the matchmaker didn’t know the enemy team had a smurf
OW2 5v5: Everytime I lose it’s because the matchmaker didn’t know I wasn’t a smurf

2 Likes

I can’t tell if this is just a major “copium” post but the reason there aren’t many smurfs in OW2 is because its too much work to get a new account to ranked and any old account that was low elo gets kicked up ranks really quickly now with the new elo system.

There are still plenty of smurfs.
I see people ONLY playing on their smurf accounts because high elo is not very exciting right now.
However, the number of tryhard solo smurfs has gone down enormously. You don’t see ppl who just shutdown the game by themselves anymore.
It’s more common to see groups on smurf accounts than solos because solo q actually adjusts your mmr very quickly and most ppl have learned the hard way what happens when you play “at your best”
The ranks are so mixed still that seeing ppl from the bottom of the ladder and seeing ppl at the top of the ladder can happen within the same hour.

OW1 was actually VERY different. 1 person could shutdown an entire lobby and I do mean 1 person unpocketed with no help.
12 player lobbies were much more chaotic and sometimes, there would be 2 players out of the 12 that did not interact with each other once(in bronze sometimes more than 2 players.)
Interactions were very different and if we had the smurf-control softward options back then, it would’ve been completely different.

Now team play is a much bigger factor.
for years, the game rewarded solo plays and had players develop their individual plays.
Now players are rewarded for timing their abilities and movements with their teammates and since those actions used to be punished,
players are still learning how all the heroes interact on top of learning the 4 game modes and all the maps

Ranked is not even bad right now it’s been worse. Now it’s just weird, there are so many things that are very questionable

This is what I’ve noticed. idk if it’s smurfs/boosters/just really good people playing with a friend but groups are by far the #1 cause of bad lobbies I’ve noticed. Very rarely do I have a bad lobby that when I check the leaderboard there isn’t one player with way more damage and elims than everyone else and also in a group.

Especially with 3+ stacks. Overwatch is a team game but at the same time because a gold can technically pair up with a bronze in lower ranks, those lower ranks are an absolute mess. Higher ranks are not as bad still.

Most of the time when I get into a lobby with only solo queuers the matches are pretty close rather than complete stomps. I got a really close 3-3 draw on paraiso that was 24 minutes and yeah it was only solo queue. Idk maybe im being biased and anecdotal idk

1 Like