The Ranking System is Incredibly Flawed - Deranked going 5-1

I’m having difficulty understanding the ranking up in this game, i know there is MMR but how you rank up mostly depends on your win/lose ratio. i lost 1 game, and I got 5 wins, my final result was that i got deranked from gold 1 to gold 2, I don’t understand the ranking system, could you please tell me how this happened? I also didn’t do bad in my games, consistently achieving most damage and doing better then the opponent tank. I was queued with a plat 3 player.
[Update]
Played next 5 games went 5 wins and 3 losses, I stayed the same rank. Overwatch competitive is insanely flawed and an absolute joke.

3 Likes

Hi Tumbleweed, I’m in the same boat as are a lot of us. A couple questions because it may help clear things up.

This deranking that happened. Was it the first set of matches you’ve played since the April 11th patch, or were you deranked again at any point afterwards while maintaining a positive winrate?

One guess I have of what’s happening is that when you play for the first time after the patch, the rank you see is just a placeholder until it’s updated to the new ranking method. You could be sitting in a lower ranking but it won’t be reflected until afterwards, in which case it seems like you rank down when you rank up. In other words, your rank is purely cosmetic until you go through a set 5 wins or 15 losses.

Unfortunately unless Blizzard jumps in to explain things we’ll just be guessing and trying to come up with the most likely explanation.

Here’s a list of other recent posts I’ve been gathering where people see the same thing:

2 Likes

Hi Haxus, I started silver 2 this season and ranked up to gold 1 prior to today. Today I won 10 matches but remained the same rank, in these matches I played consistently well in the lobbies I was playing in.

1 Like

So just so I get this right…

Since the April 11th patch you managed to go from silver 2 up to gold 1, but then at some point you continued to have a positive winrate and went down to gold 2. Since then you’ve continued to have positive winrates and cannot progress back to gold 1?

1 Like

Yes that is correct, i went from silver 2 to gold 1 and maintained a consistent positive winrate but still went down. 5 wins 1 loss deranked. 5 wins 3 losses same rank. Also, thank you for helping me.

I have also been playing in plat lobbies

2 Likes

No problem. Like many other players we’re just trying to make sense of it. What’s IS crystal clear at this point is that more explanation is needed. Right now we have more questions than answers.

• Was the rank displayed at the beginning of season 4 reflective of your real rank based on MMR, or is that only calculated after your first set of wins/losses?
  • Is ranking up dependent purely on Win:Loss ratio? (doesn’t seem to be based on what you’ve said)

If we could get answers to those questions we could draw a proper conclusion as to whether this is a bug or not. Unless that happens we’re going to have to keep filling in the blanks until it makes more sense.

Thanks for the replies.

1 Like

I didn’t play tank much last season I queue mainly for DPS, which I peaked plat 1 for, currently diamond 5. When I was silver I went from silver 2 to gold 3, going 5-1, and the gold 3 to gold 1 going 5-9.

I’ve been playing with a friend who is on DPS he started gold 2 but in those 2 rank ups managed to climb to plat 1, whereas I deranked. He is good, I won’t lie but I was also doing very well, he is much better than the other DPS that I play with/against. What I think is, is like a boosting situation, my DPS does really well and it is obvious his MMR isnt were it should be, and his MMR is getting incredibly inflated because of his performance and from the wins it somehow fails to affect my MMR and personal rank.

2 Likes

Agree. There is a major problem here. Takes some of the fun out of it.

1 Like

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. A link to my post in case you’d like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I’ve compiled a list of posts regarding similar bugs under: Incorrect Rank Adjustment. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

1 Like